Sailing MSC solo--dining solo or with others?

KKB

48 minutes ago, KKB said:

Sometimes it is nice to dine with others when I sail solo.

Does MSC give that option to solo guests (or even couples; DS is joining me the 2nd leg of the trip)

They usually seat solo cruisers at a larger table with other solo cruisers, based on my 4 MSC cruises

• Like 2

What JT said, but if you're doing a B2B, and someone is joining on the second leg (presumably in a different cabin?) absolutely check with the Matre'd immediately after both are boarded to make sure you get to sit together - you'll need the keycards for all rooms that are to be linked. Land-side customer service can link your reservations, but they apparently can't enforce joining the tables beforehand unless all cabins are on the same itinerary.

Edited by WoodyWindy

Tables for two [used by one] are hard to get and sadly tables for two rarely are given to solo passengers. Why make one person happy when you can make two? Just to repeat ask to be seated with other solos or ask to be moved if you are uncomfortable. Nothing sucks more than being at a large table and your tablemates are family and friends who have a this is our vacation why the heck are you here attitude. Anytime seating can be great or a disaster. On the plus side with anytime seating you are usually seated very quickly because they can shoe horn you in while the large group collects dust waiting.

3 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

I am traveling solo and in the YC I always have a table for me. Also on other ships like the QM2 i am asking always for a table for me and I don't want to share a table with others when I m solo on a ship.
You have to ask.

I like to sit with others...luckily if it wasn't the best one night I'm not locked in with them with anytime.

Sometimes I want to eat alone for a quicker meal (perhaps to get to an activity), and I'll ask to sit alone.

I like a solo trip once a year. I need the alone time. Last year I did a week on NCL who have anytime dining so I would dress for dinner (shirt and sports jacket) and wander down. On the first night I advised the maitre’d I wished for a two top and had no location preferences. She’d seat me immediately or ask me to go have a drink and free up a table for me later.

MSC has assigned dining times and if the early seating is busy, I’ll ask to flip to late. If you work with them, they’ll work with you. Every night there are people who don’t come to the MDR to eat. 10-15 minutes after the assigned time they’ll seat you at an unused table.

Now, I’m not a complete curmudgeon and enjoy the company of others occasionally. When I do I ask the maître’d if I can be seated with a group. It’s rarely a problem. Be flexible (and slide the maitre’d a $20 early in the cruise) and they’ll bend over backwards to accommodate you.

A tip to other solo’s who like to dine alone. Breakfast and lunch are great times to enjoy a nice meal in the MDR. Linen tablecloth and napkins, proper cutlery, a drink (mimosa in the AM and a cold beer at lunch), personal service and generally a great table by the window. I’ve never understood why people line up at the noisy, crowded buffet when a quiet oasis is only steps away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi DDLB,

You have probably chosen a dining time during booking. Solo’s are generally seated with a group at a larger table. You likely won’t have to do anything. If you’re seated alone (highly unlikely) just ask the maitre’d for a seating change.

One note … don’t ever put up with dinner companions you don’t feel comfortable with. If the group vibe isn’t for you request a seating change. This is a common occurrence for cruise staff and they’ll switch. Just make your request during a quieter time, not during the dinner rush.

Most cruises have solo meet and greets as well. Don’t be afraid to stick your nose in, have a drink and mingle. Cruisers are generally very welcoming.

I often have the opposite issue. When I travel alone I’m really looking to catch up on reading, relaxing and “me time”. However, people see a solo traveller and with good intentions will try to invite me into their group. It can be a delicate balancing act to keep to myself without offending very kind people.

Solo travel isn’t for everyone, but travelling alone doesn’t mean being lonely if you put yourself out there.

cheers!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 9:31 PM, mowogo said:

Was fortunate to be assigned to sit with a bunch of solos for my current cruise. Made it a lot more bearable when getting my birthday cake tonight having a bunch of other solos to share with. 

6AC1C06F-12FA-4DF1-81D0-F740B56337CD.thumb.jpeg.412293c1c570bbb7a1355ac54f04cc47.jpeg

Wow this is good news as this cruise is my birthday gift to myself. Hope i get to do same!

2 hours ago, HardToPort said:

Hi DDLB,

You have probably chosen a dining time during booking. Solo’s are generally seated with a group at a larger table. You likely won’t have to do anything. If you’re seated alone (highly unlikely) just ask the maitre’d for a seating change.

One note … don’t ever put up with dinner companions you don’t feel comfortable with. If the group vibe isn’t for you request a seating change. This is a common occurrence for cruise staff and they’ll switch. Just make your request during a quieter time, not during the dinner rush.

Most cruises have solo meet and greets as well. Don’t be afraid to stick your nose in, have a drink and mingle. Cruisers are generally very welcoming.

I often have the opposite issue. When I travel alone I’m really looking to catch up on reading, relaxing and “me time”. However, people see a solo traveller and with good intentions will try to invite me into their group. It can be a delicate balancing act to keep to myself without offending very kind people.

Solo travel isn’t for everyone, but travelling alone doesn’t mean being lonely if you put yourself out there.

cheers!

Thanks for the great advice!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mowogo said:

If you took advantage of the status match it is free.  Otherwise you have to pay

I matched platinum NCL and got gold MSC status. Will check to see what all i get.  Thanks forgot about that.