Verandah Stateroom (Category VQ to VF) Explained / Meaning?

five.

We received a limited upgrade offer for our free cruise in March and accepted a VQ balcony for $149 per person. I later learned they have tiny juliet balconies, so I'm not sure about my decision. But still happy they are near the spa and the retreat area, since we have access to both of those areas.

My main question is what is meant by category VQ to VF? Is it alphabetical: VF, VG, VH, VI, etc? until VQ? Or is it by floor as in VQ (panorama deck 10) to VF (beethoven deck 4)?

I later found this diagram on cruisdeckplans and feel like a bit of an idiot since it's right there on the side and seems to go by floor and feel like it's a bit obvious now, but just want to confirm:

aMvdZnp.png

This is my understanding/experience/opinion  and others much brighter than me will come along and help you (and correct me, which is fine):

VQ is considered an upgrade because it is promoted as a Spa category.  It means you are near the spa...and it is on deck 10 tucked away.  There might be some special water or a yoga mat. I forgot but it seemed minimal to us. 

VF is considered a low level balcony category (not the lowest but near the bottom) because of location...near the front/back of the ship.  We like VF's because of their price point and we like the VF's in the front of the ship on deck 8 because we also head to the spa/gym often and it is only one flight up and cabins are above and below me. 

I'm not familiar with a VQ Juliet balcony but we consider the VF and the VQ regular balcony cabins to be the same.  We've moved up from VF to VQ when we found a price drop but we would not pay $$$ to go there. 

2 hours ago, five. said:

We received a limited upgrade offer for our free cruise in March and accepted a VQ balcony for $149 per person. I later learned they have tiny juliet balconies, so I'm not sure about my decision. But still happy they are near the spa and the retreat area, since we have access to both of those areas.

What ship?

1 hour ago, five. said:

Nieuw Statendam

They are not juliet balconies, just a bit shallow. You should have two chairs and a small table on the Verandah, one or both chairs may even have a footstool (that you might have to turn the chair to use). Here is a short video to give you a better idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYpiqZSaNz0&t=5s

Yea, that was the video I saw when I booked it. Just looked like a regular balcony, didn't really notice that it was shallower than normal. I think it'll be good enough. Wife is excited about the location, so we'll probably keep it.

• Like 1