You Mean There Is A More Comfortable Way To Sleep?????

So is it true you can request a foam matress topper for your bed? I saw this on a recent post. I will be 23 weeks pregnant when I cruise in May and I have terrible sciatic pain. Anything to help those horrible mattresses would greatly improve my disposition on the cruise I am sure....... anyone else do this?

Jen

Adventure ... May 7

Jewel 2005

Explorer 2004

Voyager 2002

Monarch 1994

No sorry, I actually love the beds/mattresses on the ship. They are foam already and I think they sleep like a dream. I sleep better on a cruise than anywhere else.

If you feel you need one, request it. They will either tell you they dont have them or tell you ok. If you get to the ship and they did not put one on, ask the cabin steward and Im sure if they are available they will pop one on there for you.

I have arthritis and I have found most of the RCCL beds uncomfortable. Yes, they MAY have one available, but, to be sure you will be comfortable for the week why not go to Wal-mart (or anywhere similar) and buy yourself a TWIN size eggcrate topper (about $10). They squish down to about nothing on top of your suitcase.

When you get to your cabin, peel back the sheets (or ask the cabin steward to do it when s/he does turns down the bed) and lay the twin size topper crosswise on the bed in the area that will pad your shoulders to your thighs (assuming you have the two beds combined as one). Your head will be cushioned by the pillow and your knees and feet probably won't care if the bed is hard.

Believe me, it will be money, and packing space, well spent. If you don't sleep well, how much will you enjoy the cruise?? If you really want to be comfy, bring two and pile them on on top of each other. Just hold on tight if the seas get rough!!!!

I don't bother to bring them home, I just leave them behind. Again, for me, I think it is money well spent.

Actually pack them in a space bag, my kids used them for the beds at camp and the spaces make them extremely little.

After the cruise ditch the pads and put your dirty laundry in there for the trip home

The bed was so awful on the Vision last month. I was using the couch cushions to sleep on! It was crazy. Maybe I will just ask for a bunch more pillows next cruise. I will use my duct tape and tape them together for a really cushy mattress pad.:D

I am seriously thinking of bringing a cheapo air mattress.

So is it true you can request a foam matress topper for your bed? I saw this on a recent post. I will be 23 weeks pregnant when I cruise in May and I have terrible sciatic pain. Anything to help those horrible mattresses would greatly improve my disposition on the cruise I am sure....... anyone else do this?

Jen

Adventure ... May 7

Jewel 2005

Explorer 2004

Voyager 2002

Monarch 1994

Yes, I have requested this twice and received it twice without a moment's hesitation.

We also found the mattresses and pillows awfully uncomfrotable. DH and I both have arthritis. Thanks to CC, I immediately asked for the egg crate foam topper when we got on board. At first the room steward looked at us like we were crazy especially since he knew we weren't repeat cruisers....but he brought it and put it on the bed by the time we were back from Muster drill. It really helped. Now, if they could just do something about the pillows! ;)

Drink until you can barely stand up, the mattress will feel fine. ;)

Ummmmm... as I stated

before the reason for being so uncomfortable is that i will be 23 weeks pregnant. Somehow I don't thinnk the drinking is a good idea~

Jen

Adventure of the Seas …. May 7

Jewel 2005

Explorer 2004

Voyager 2002

Monarch 1994

Ummmmm... as I stated

before the reason for being so uncomfortable is that i will be 23 weeks pregnant. Somehow I don't thinnk the drinking is a good idea~

Jen

Adventure of the Seas …. May 7

Jewel 2005

Explorer 2004

Voyager 2002

Monarch 1994

Good answer about the drinking-duh!!!:D

When I cruised 18 weeks pregnant in 2004 on the Monarch, I got a matress topper, extra pillows, whatever I wanted-once they know your condition they are so willing to help you-

Everyone was particularly jealous when I got an elevator ride to and from muster, when the rest walked up and down the crowded stairwells.

Have a great time, get some rest before the baby comes!!!:eek:

Wow! Not trying to be rude at all, but anyone who finds the beds comfortable on a cruise ship might need a new bed at home. I do believe that comfortable or not for many the rocking of the ship helps you sleep like a baby. But the beds are the MOST uncomfortable I have ever slept on. :D

I asked for an egg crate on my recent Sovereign cruise and it was on the bed when we got in that night. He actually put two together...it was very comfy. I have arthritis too and it helped so much! The steward looked at me funny too at first, but I think he didn't understand my asking for an "egg crate". When I asked for a foam mattress pad he understood. :)

Never see much mention of the crack between the two mattresses when making a queen, but it drives us crazy, even with a foam topper. Wish they had a better way to fix this.

I always wind up in that crack!!

DH outweighs me by a lot (he's a big football guy, 240lbs), so the force of his weight down on the mattress causes a downhill effect, and causes me to roll towards him, and I wind up in the crack every night without fail!!

It's become a big joke-Tracey sleeps in the crack, ha ha!!!:eek:

ON Brilliance last week the bed was hard as a rock..."sorry but no more egg crates are left miss"...so I could have slept on the floor and not noticed the difference. I will say the rocking motion is awesome to sleep too, but the Brilliance well...she never really rocked much, smoothest ship I have ever been on!

I always wind up in that crack!!

DH outweighs me by a lot (he's a big football guy, 240lbs), so the force of his weight down on the mattress causes a downhill effect, and causes me to roll towards him, and I wind up in the crack every night without fail!!

It's become a big joke-Tracey sleeps in the crack, ha ha!!!:eek:

Could this be considered TMI!!:rolleyes: :D

Have your TA notify the "special needs" department BEFORE your cruise and request the egg crate mattress pad. Then you are guaranteed to get it.

They take this seriously:

DH has a very bad back. We had our TA request a pool lounger (yes, they work for him for some reason). Well, a few emails later and they understood.

We got on board the Brilliance last October, and there was an ENGINEER in our cabin measuring, scratching his head, and trying to figure out how he was going to BUILD DH a slanted sleep platform for under the mattress.

DH said, "you're over-engineering this; I just want a pool lounger, please". So, they brought one, with an eggcrate mattress pad :D and DH was comfy for 14 nights!

I, also, got an eggcrate pad for my bed, too.

Be sure to tell them you want a "foam mattress pad", because a previous poster was correct: they don't always know it's referred to as an "eggcrate".

Voyager had the worst beds I've encountered - anywhere! Our tablemates did ask for egg crate pads and got them....two were needed. I don't understand why they have such poor quality mattresses. It's not because it's a ship because my daughter was on a Carnival cruise recently, and said even the fold up cots had fantastic mattresses.

We didn't tip our cabin attendant on the last cruise. He was English language challenged. We asked for egg crates for our bed. After crashing into bed the first night, we found he had obtained them from the kitchen....with most of them still full of eggs. Yuk, what a bad yolk!!!:D

Les

Wow! Not trying to be rude at all, but anyone who finds the beds comfortable on a cruise ship might need a new bed at home. I do believe that comfortable or not for many the rocking of the ship helps you sleep like a baby. But the beds are the MOST uncomfortable I have ever slept on. :D

I would agree if you were only talking about RCCI beds but to dismiss all cruise lines is rediculous. Carnival has some of the nost comfortable beds and the new bedding they have is a dream waiting to happen. RCCI is like a cot on a board......lol No comparison at all

I would agree if you were only talking about RCCI beds but to dismiss all cruise lines is rediculous. Carnival has some of the nost comfortable beds and the new bedding they have is a dream waiting to happen. RCCI is like a cot on a board......lol No comparison at all

I was on Carnival in Sept '04, and the beds were still bad. I think that change happened after our cruise. But regardless, unless you have a pillow top mattress, down comforter with duvet, sown pillows and egyptian cotton sheets, its not comfortable. ;)

Archived