Disney vs. Celebrity for Grandparents with 4 & 6 year olds

LB_NJ

We are thinking of taking our grandchildren on a cruise.

I know Disney is supposed to be a good cruise line for children.

We just got off a Celebrity cruise and there were only a few children on-board (around 7-8 children).  I talked to the parents and they all said the children were happy.

For those of you who have sailed with children on both cruise lines I would like to hear what people think.

We would book a regular veranda on either cruise line.  As far as I can tell Disney would definitely be more expensive.

I vote Disney. Just a personal opinion of course. We just took our 5 and 8 year old grandchildren, on NCL Prima at Christmas. It was a fabulous ship,  but it was geared towards mostly adult experiences.  The kids saw the Disney cruise ship parked beside us at one point and they were so excited.

The kids club on the Prima was so small, and very unattended. The staff loved seeing the kids though and were very attentive at meals.  The Disney staff is geared towards kids as is the ship, the activities, the meals, the restaurants, and the swimming options.  The girls LOVE the Disney Castaway Cay, and meeting all the characters.  We love the adult only options on Disney cruise too if the girls will go to the Disney kids club. On Prima, they were miserable so we wouldn't leave them.

We love Celebrity, as adults, and will be on the Disney cruise with the kids, in early March for Spring Break, then following up with Celebrity for ourselves once we get them back home, for grandparents break.  They are a very different product.  Disney does cost more, but we were able to pick up the Disney + savings where 3rd and 4th passengers cruise for free.  It still cost more than the Christmas NCL cruise even on sale. (I think that promotion is over. )

Again, the girls eyes light up when they see the Disney ship and plan for all of the character meet and greets, and swimming in the pool, and riding the Aqua Duck.  One thing we did, was watch You Tube videos about "overviews" of the different ships to help us pick. Maybe that would help you find which one works for you. Good luck!

Someone just posted this link on another chat. If you are planning to sail on the Dream or Fantasy from now through April, there is a deal for Disney+ subscribers in which the 3rd and 4th guests can sail free with 2 people booked at full fare: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/disney-plus-offer/

You do have to subscribe to Disney Plus to look at the offers. And they are only good through April ( at least for now) There were several sailings. You can also call Disney Cruise direct and find out more. We found that some cruises only had room for 3 in a room on some sailings versus 4 to a room. So options were limited. 

• 2 weeks later...

At that age, I vote Disney. They're still young enough to buy into the "magic" and that in itself is priceless. Granted, the only other line we've done is Carnival and the kids had an amazing time just the same even with only a dozen or so other kids onboard.

Wish is getting mixed reviews, Wonder and Magic are smaller and Fantasy and Dream include activities such as the Midship Detective Agency and Aquaduck. These also have magic porthole inside rooms that may provide some cost savings vs a verandah. My DD is a huge fan of Frozen and they show that on the Wonder. She really thinks that is really Elsa turning the stage into ice, and that's an experience that won't be replicated on another line, for example. Disney also has so many family bonding experiences and activities geared to all ages, and that it something to consider too, as you plan how to spend your time aboard.

We’re currently on the Disney Wish (see my Live From thread right next to this thread), and it’s ALL about the children. No question about it. We enjoy cruising on Celebrity when we’re cruising by ourselves or with other adults. But if you want to elate your grandkids, Disney is by far the better choice IMHO. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What age are your grandkids? We took our 5 and 7 yr old on Royal Caribbean (out of Los Angeles) and they had a blast. We are taking them on the Halloween cruise on Disney in October. I would not consider a Celebrity cruise (our favorite) as it is geared for adults. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised Celebrity  with our granddaughter since she was 5 yo. We have enjoyed the smaller size of children in the ship allowing for more opportunities for her to enjoy activities. We just finished our 7 th Celebrity cruise with her this past December and at her request, booked another for December 2023

i should add that we have also cruised Disney. Too crowded and frantic for all of us!