Water Island?

volk904

• 3 weeks later...

It gets busy when Royal Caribbean ships dock at Crown Bay. The ferry is small so you need to allow plenty of time for return in case the ferry is full.

It was never much of a snorkel beach, but for some reason after the storms ship captains were posting turtle sightings when that hadn't been the case. Of course, sightings never guaranteed.

There is only one bar/restaurant, Dinghy's, now. Check the Facebook for current amenities.

You can also rent a golf cart to tour the island on your own. Ferry captain should be able to give info.

22 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Thanks, crewsweeper. On the main road? Out of one of the houses there? You have to carry your food down the hill to the beach?

It'd be a hike to head down to the beach.  But great views and lots of seating.  Heading to WI in April. Renting a golf cart.

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

I think the price of the golf carts went up quite a bit. We hiked all over Water Island on one of our trips. Beautiful views on the other (south?) side! Great way to get away from the crowds and traffic.

$55 for 2.  Up from $35/40 a few years back.

The first time my husband and I went to Water Island was years ago and the ferry was almost empty even with a cruise-ship in port.  At that time, there were no eating facilities or rental equipment at Honeymoon Beach, on Water Island. We brought our own snorkel equipment and the snorkeling, while nothing spectacular, was OK especially near the rocks.The other time we went was on a ship snorkel excursion this past March. Honeymoon Beach now boasted an big outdoor bar, and lots of other tourists. The weather was rainy so most of them were huddled underneath the bar shelter. Those of us in the water were thrilled to observe at least 4 huge sea turtles swimming about.  They were totally fearless and would come up for air right in the middle of small groups of excited viewers floating above. Then the turtles would submerge and continue placidly feeding on the grassy bottom. Very exciting and something we had never seen before or since.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up. While in St Thomas last week we decided to try Water Island. It was a busy day with both the Oasis and Beyond at Crown Bay. The Ferry was a bit late but we made it ok.  We took the shuttle to Dinghy’s.  The beach was ok  but nothing special.  Chairs were $10.  The bar and food were ok.  I had read you could snorkel and see some turtles. That might be true because not long after we arrived Cat Excursion arrived and had about 40 in the water.  After they left i snorkeled the same area. Saw a few fish and sone grass. Maybe they scared the turtles off but it was not a good snorkel spot to me. the beach was crowded for a smaller place and the thing is if on a cruise you need to get back. Our all aboard was 4pm. The shuttle runs once per hour and is not large. Because of this we took the shuttle back about 12:50 for the 1:30 run back. We were about # 20 in line. By the time the shuttle arrived late again there was about 40 in line.  They brought a larger boat but still left about 10 for the next run. They told the 10 they would return for an extra run.  

just my opinion but I won’t be going back. It is not the beach or bar but because dealing with the shuttle is not worth the wasted time waiting at the dock to be picked up going and coming back.  Much easier to take a cab to Meagan’s, Sapphire or Coki and come and go as you please with no stress over the shuttle. 

Edited by volk904
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1