Balcony Dimensions

five.

Carnival offers a website (goccl.com) that includes exact dimensions of rooms and balconies. I've looked and searched and don't think that exists for HAL. But thought I would ask to be sure. The closest I've seen for HAL are the ranges that are provided for each category (Approximately 222–231 sq. ft) on the deck plans pdf.

40 minutes ago, five. said:

Carnival offers a website (goccl.com) that includes exact dimensions of rooms and balconies. I've looked and searched and don't think that exists for HAL. But thought I would ask to be sure. The closest I've seen for HAL are the ranges that are provided for each category (Approximately 222–231 sq. ft) on the deck plans pdf.

That has been my experience also when checking out cabins prior to booking.

Here is a link to a site that is a great help in choosing the right cabin. It will give room and balcony size as well as show you what above or below your room.

Holland America Line Cruise Ship Fleet (cruisedeckplans.com)

Yea, I saw that website and example for verandah:

Disclaimer: * Size may vary, see details below.

And under details it had:

Cabin size ranges from 220 to 420 square feet including verandah.

I was looking for specific dimensions for each stateroom. That website is definitely the best I've seen though.

Edited by five.

7 hours ago, five. said:

Yea, I saw that website and example for verandah:

Disclaimer: * Size may vary, see details below.

And under details it had:

Cabin size ranges from 220 to 420 square feet including verandah.

I was looking for specific dimensions for each stateroom. That website is definitely the best I've seen though.

I haven't found any HAL sites listing cabin-by-cabin dimensions like the goccl site.  That is a great site.

For standard balcony cabins, it seems they get slightly smaller on average the newer you go on HAL ship class.  If I were to compare an average Pinnacle class verandah cabin against an average 5-10 year old Carnival ship's verandah cabin, I would say the Carnival cabin is about the same width but about 1 1/2 -2 feet deeper than on a HAL ship.  That enables Carnival to offer a full length sofa instead of a love seat sofa.  The tradeoff is the typical Carnival cabin has a smaller balcony than HAL.

For balconies, our experience, compared to Carnival, is the HAL balconies are typically about a foot to foot and a half deeper than average Carnival balconies.  Balconies on older HAL ships also tend to be a bit deeper than comparable Pinnacle class cabin balconies.

If you are looking for a large regular cabin balcony on a Vista through Pinnacle class ship, the deck 4 forward and aft side balconies can be quite large, especially on Pinnacle class ships.  The Pinnacle class ones are essentially double or more the depth of regular balcony cabins.  The one drawback to those is the outer half of the balcony is completely open above...to weather and other passengers viewing so just keep that in mind.

The smallest HAL balconies tend to be on deck 5 above the life boats and on spa verandah cabins.  They are about a foot shallower than average balconies on other decks.

• Like 2

HAL's standard balcony furniture is also a bit nicer than Carnival's.  HAL provides two mesh chairs with reclining backs plus accompanying ottomans which, in combination, gives you two loungers.  Carnival typically gives you one reclining chair and one non-reclining chair.  No ottomans but, then again, their deck is smaller so not much room to stretch out anyway.  Both lines provide a small side table with the HAL table being very small...not much bigger than a dinner plate.

56 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

To see balconies and rooms use this web site: 

It's by room and by ship you have to hunt a round for each room type.

The difference is Carnival's goccl pages individually list the square feet and features of every cabin...yes, every public cabin on the ship.  The goccl site requires registration but is easy to bypass by simply searching for a ship name and goccl.

Here's an example of the goccl cabin detail for a cabin we had on the Carnival Breeze 5 years ago:

11225      8P       185/35 = 220 sq ft                 
Beds: two twin beds (convert to king)-single sofa bed    
View: window and balcony                     
Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink    
Features: flat-screen TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, non-stocked mini bar unit, 3-closets, desk and ottoman seat, sofa and coffee table
Balcony features: 2 patio chairs and table / balcony partition opens to: 11229
Cloud 9 Spa Stateroom
  • Thanks 1

@AFNavigator Thanks for posting a screenshot / example. I should have done that from the beginning. It may have made my request a bit easier to understand.

@mwj I had read on here that we could call and get the info. I don't have a PCC, only booked with HAL twice and just done it online. I wear hearing aids and avoid phone calls as much as possible, I get a lot of anxiety when I have to call places. It's good to know that the info is available, I just wish it was publicly available online somewhere, without necessitating a phone call.

• Like 1