Opinion of Spa (Thermal Suite) on Star or Dawn

JM0115

I'm making a leap here by assuming that the spas are the same on these as they are on the Gem.

We've sailed on the Gem twice, with the spa package both times.  We enjoyed it both times, but not sure we'd do it again.

The main pool spa is very relaxing.  Lots of different ways to get the power of the water - assorted jets, etc.  Temperature has been comfortable.  Getting in and out is not easy for many. It's a ladder and I think some people find that first step up a bit hard.  I'm short, and it's a big step but manageable.

There's a hot tub that is very awkward to get in and out of if you're short and/or not too nimble.  Not the same build as the ones on deck.

The thermal lounges are a nice way to relax.  They look like they'd be uncomfortable, but that is not the case. Easy to dose off! 

I enjoyed the other lounge chairs too.  As the spa is in the bow, and on Deck 12 -- the view is wonderful.  A great place to read, daydream.

The separate lockers -  I think they are the same amenities in both men and women's sides.  Lockers (with locks), showers, dry and steam saunas, a few loungers, and a 1 person bathtub size Jacuzzi.

I would balance your decision on port days vs sea days.   I didn't use it much on port days, though it's a great place to look out onto your port.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Anyone have an opinion about the spa on the Star or the Dawn? Is it worth the price?

The spa on the Gem, Epic and Star are my favorite. I have also seen the Spa on the Jade and that one is negligible, I haven't been on the Dawn yet but if is anything like the Star you should be ok. I would go to you tube and find videos about the Spa. I hope this helps. The NCL Star has a nice pool in the spa.

• Thanks 1

We love the jewel class as well as the Star and Dawn which are similar.  There are some awkward things, but we really enjoy the spa on these ships.   Others who are accustomed to the grander spas on BA and beyond ships will turn up their noses at the lowly Jewel plus spas, but I’ll take them any day.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We love the jewel class as well as the Star and Dawn which are similar.  There are some awkward things, but we really enjoy the spa on these ships.   Others who are accustomed to the grander spas on BA and beyond ships will turn up their noses at the lowly Jewel plus spas, but I’ll take them any day.   

I also like the thermal suite on the Jewel class ships and Dawn. One thing I liked about the one on Dawn is that it also has a swimming pool in addition to the hot tub and small thalassotherapy pool. I prefer the saunas on Jewel class because of the giant windows.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Anyone have an opinion about the spa on the Star or the Dawn? Is it worth the price?

The Thermal Suite on the Dawn is o.k. It is a small ship suite.... unisex saunas and steam rooms (clothing optional). Small relaxation areas with a limited number of hot loungers. The Dawn has a pool with warm mineral water. 

image.png.634dc0225169d9381e055b04e55e6396.png

image.png.44f711072904910127d4d5c9ef6cb671.png

image.png.98a2741cbad30585286e9fe2ab906c72.png

image.png.e816f215921f7e3db3bc41aea365c197.png

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Thermal Suite on the Dawn is o.k. It is a small ship suite.... unisex saunas and steam rooms (clothing optional). Small relaxation areas with a limited number of hot loungers. The Dawn has a pool with warm mineral water. 

image.png.634dc0225169d9381e055b04e55e6396.png

image.png.44f711072904910127d4d5c9ef6cb671.png

image.png.98a2741cbad30585286e9fe2ab906c72.png

image.png.e816f215921f7e3db3bc41aea365c197.png

Wow looks like they changed things since we tried the Dawn spa once. Actually couldn't tell you much never got a seat though, every longer was saved with personal items by 8:00am. We did meet a nice couple who were in the hot tub, said they come when the door opens to get a longer and watch the ocean. Only time anybody else was there. Day three spoke with staff they said people would be back after breakfast, nice answer. Hated separate sauna and steam areas, I was on a vacation with my honey not for me. Glad to see it appears updated, but imagine it's harder with the spacing of these window seats. Got OBC for half the trip they were nice about the refund.

4 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Wow looks like they changed things since we tried the Dawn spa once. Actually couldn't tell you much never got a seat though, every longer was saved with personal items by 8:00am. We did meet a nice couple who were in the hot tub, said they come when the door opens to get a longer and watch the ocean. Only time anybody else was there. Day three spoke with staff they said people would be back after breakfast, nice answer. Hated separate sauna and steam areas, I was on a vacation with my honey not for me. Glad to see it appears updated, but imagine it's harder with the spacing of these window seats. Got OBC for half the trip they were nice about the refund.

Thank you. This convinced me not to get a pass. Don’t need the frustration of chair hogs. Wish people would be more considerate but it’s out of my control.

2 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

I assumed there would be a time limit for the heated loungers.  I had no idea someone could literally  camp out there all day. 

NCL asks you to limit your time to 30 minutes. In the past I've seen 15 minutes, but seems the signs changed in January. At least on Getaway. I've never seen people limit themselves and chair hogs will attempt to place all their junk (bottles, towels, clothing, phones, books) on the lounger to reserve it. With me, that doesn't work. If no one has been on a lounger in ten minutes or so, and I want to lay down, their junk gets moved to where it's safe, but off the lounger. 

• Like 3

We loved the thermal spa on the Star!  However, we were on the Iceland-Greenland cruise this summer, with cold weather and lots of sea days. I don't know if we would use that much if we were in a warmer climate. Besides hot tub, heated lap  pool, therapy pool, saunas and steam room (separate for men and women), and heated loungers there are also 2 "quiet relaxation lounges" perfect for reader or napping.  The men also have personal hot and cold tubs. Beautiful aft location.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

I assumed there would be a time limit for the heated loungers.  I had no idea someone could literally  camp out there all day. 

The new pictures look like the heated loungers,  spaced further apart than the padded one were a few years ago. People left books and things on these as well, lady said some folks had both types. Her and hubby took turns between the two when they got them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 3:21 PM, cruiseny4life said:

NCL asks you to limit your time to 30 minutes. In the past I've seen 15 minutes, but seems the signs changed in January. At least on Getaway. I've never seen people limit themselves and chair hogs will attempt to place all their junk (bottles, towels, clothing, phones, books) on the lounger to reserve it. With me, that doesn't work. If no one has been on a lounger in ten minutes or so, and I want to lay down, their junk gets moved to where it's safe, but off the lounger. 

Ditto, loungers are for lounging, not for storing your personal effects. If you're not there, I'm taking your chair, period. (Although I've never had to confront someone, fortunately.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:17 PM, mickeysgal said:

When we were there and somebody was actually there as well she went from lounge chair at the window view to heated chair to pool the back to lounge chair she put things on each to be sure she had one. Girl from work loved it three weeks prior went every day in the mid morning they found chairs only had one issue  when a lady screamed at her husband he had her seat. Appears she over slept and always had that seat everyday all day. They were leaving only stayed a few hours but stayed longer that day 😁.

When we were on the Gem in December, a man complained that we were hogging the Jacuzzi and had stayed beyond the posted 10 minute limit. There was still room for him so he got in, and promptly almost everyone else got out. He left less than 10 minutes later. LOL