Norwegian Joy - Walking track alternative options?

farmecologist

Hi all,

On just about every other ship we have peen on in the past, there has been a walking track on one of the mid decks that is "covered" and goes all the way around the ship.  Walking around the ship this way has always been a fun activity and you can still walk while it is raining, etc...

However, I was a bit disappointed to see that the Joy doesn't have this feature.  Yes, I do realize that deck 17 has a "jogging track"...but that is out in the open, isn't covered, and is in the midst of the pool area hordes.   

I was looking at the deck plans and it seems like deck 8 *may* be feasible as an alternative.  However, it does appear to be cut off by the front of the ship where Food Republic and the The District Brewhouse are.  I'm thinking I can walk and then cut through that area to the other side ( and just maybe pick up a drink at the brewhouse on the way...haha 😁 ).

Has anyone else used deck 8 as a "walking track"?   If so, how was it?  Thanks in advance! 👍

Edited by farmecologist

I’ve used the waterfront to walk many times, usually doing a few miles every morning. I cut across as you suggested, but the alternative is to just turn back the way you came.

Personally, I prefer it to the promenade deck on older ships as it is more open. It can get busier though, which is why I walk early.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I’ve used the waterfront to walk many times, usually doing a few miles every morning. I cut across as you suggested, but the alternative is to just turn back the way you came.

Personally, I prefer it to the promenade deck on older ships as it is more open. It can get busier though, which is why I walk early.

Thanks for the feedback!  It looks like deck 8 is our best option. 

However, one thing I loved about the promenade deck on other ships is the fact that it is relatively empty....even on humongous ships like the huge RCL ships.  For instance, the Oasis class RCL ships have an awesome running/walking track on deck 5...and are always amazingly free of people.

Edited by farmecologist

2 hours ago, farmecologist said:

On just about every other ship we have peen on in the past, there has been a walking track on one of the mid decks that is "covered" and goes all the way around the ship.  Walking around the ship this way has always been a fun activity and you can still walk while it is raining, etc...

However, I was a bit disappointed to see that the Joy doesn't have this feature.  Yes, I do realize that deck 17 has a "jogging track"...but that is out in the open, isn't covered, and is in the midst of the pool area hordes.   

I was looking at the deck plans and it seems like deck 8 *may* be feasible as an alternative.  However, it does appear to be cut off by the front of the ship where Food Republic and the The District Brewhouse are.  I'm thinking I can walk and then cut through that area to the other side ( and just maybe pick up a drink at the brewhouse on the way...haha 😁 ).

Has anyone else used deck 8 as a "walking track"?   If so, how was it?  Thanks in advance! 👍

I am not sure that I know of ships that have a mid-deck covered walkway that goes around the entire ship. 

Most walkers use the jogging path in the mornings before the sunbathers come out. 

Yes, you can use Deck 8 for walking, cutting through the forward elevator lobby. 

You can use Deck 7 for the same way, cutting through the forward and aft elevator lobbies (Deck 7 is more like the promenade deck on other ships,,, lots of obstructed views from the lifeboats). 

I use the Waterfront as a promenade deck on the Breakaway / Breakaway Plus ships (like the Joy).

I usually cut through the forward lobby, or just do a U-turn.

The only NCL ship that doesn't have a decent promenade or Waterfront deck would be the Epic. The earlier Jewel / Dawn class ships have Deck 7.

Not sure about the Spirit, but she's an older ship so I'd assume she has a promenade deck.

Edited by dcipjr

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

I use the Waterfront as a promenade deck on the Breakaway / Breakaway Plus ships (like the Joy).

I usually cut through the forward lobby, or just do a U-turn.

The only NCL ship that doesn't have a decent promenade or Waterfront deck would be the Epic. The earlier Jewel / Dawn class ships have Deck 7.

Not sure about the Spirit, but she's an older ship so I'd assume she has a promenade deck.

Yes, Spirit has a very nice promenade deck. It is quite wide but like many it is very narrow and enclosed at the front.

Hi.  I’ve used the Joy’s Waterfront deck many times for my walks; it’s broken up with the restaurant and bar partitions, but that keeps everyone paying attention.  

The other nice, truly indoor place to walk is the Observation Lounge.  Early and late it is less active and when the weather is especially windy it beats the Waterfront.

• Like 1