HAL TV Commercial

mariner

War Babies fit in-between the Silent Generation and the Boomers. 1941-1945

Born during WWII into families disrupted by fathers going to war, and many not coming back, women entering the workforce and then retreating back into the home.

Raised by Depression Age parents, who passed on a solid work ethic and traditional values. We were pushed ahead by the social revolution  boomers behind us, yet were still formed by the solid steeping in the values of our Greatest Generation parents. The threat of nuclear extinction permeated our early years. Our college freshman class motto - Stay Alive Until '65. ( the year 1965, not age 65)

A unique sub-cohort that often got lost in all the fuss over the sheer demographic size of the much larger Boomers - but definitely not Boomers. We are the War Babies. We were a transitional generation.

I saw a truncated (15 sec?) version of the "Time of your life" commercial this morning on a news channel. I forget what the first image was, probably a ship. Then we see Julie's plate, then the couple on the stairs, then the couple standing at the railing. I can't see how that would make anyone want to cruise. 

I find the HAL commercials spot on for what my husband and I want on a cruise.

A quiet place to look at the water without  a blaring music background or a roller coaster rattling over head. Time to sit and eat a well presented dinner after spending the day ashore.

This was what were enjoyed when we started cruising in our twenties and what we now look for in our seventies.

The 1988 commercial could have been us (professional couple in our thirties, however, there would have been a well behaved eight year old at the table with us).

My daughter, who went on her first cruise at eighteen months (a two week trans Panama Canal cruise) has cruised many times over the years with us.  Her comment on her first HAL cruise at twenty four was , "Mom, you have been holding out on me!" 

My concern with HAL is if the cruise experience of the past can survive their new large ships with a larger passenger load, the lessening of public space (private deck cabanas, specialty restaurants, etc) or will it become the transition line between the Carnival Cruise Line cruiser perhaps looking to try a classier cruise experience, but not yet ready to commit to a more refined atmosphere and passenger demographic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

it become the transition line between the Carnival Cruise Line cruiser perhaps looking to try a classier cruise experience, but not yet ready to commit to a more refined atmosphere and passenger demographic.

So the Target of cruising...