Comparison NCL Joy Haven to Celebrity Beyond Retreat

FlyGal25

Preface: X is my go to cruise line. However, the Beyond Retreat is pricing me out. 

So, I checked around and found a deal on NCL's ship Joy in the Haven that is A LOT cheaper.  It has Free at Sea, but it looks like NCL doesn't include it for my daughter (we are a party of 3).  And I am not sure how Free At Sea works. I would like unlimited wifi, can I upgrade? 

I have only been on NCL once, and I cannot compare it because it was Pride of America in 2007 with all American crew. You cannot judge regular NCL based on that experience -- and was it ever dreadful. 

With all that said, anyone lucky enough to sail  NCL Joy in the Haven and compare it to X's Beyond Retreat? Or even NCL's Breakaway Plus to X's Edge class ships?  I have googled and read comparisons but those seem to be on Celebrity's older class Solstice/Millennium ships and I know those are not like Edge class Retreat. 

Would love feedback from someone who has experienced both. 

21 hours ago, FlyGal25 said:

She is 15, and loves getting virgin drinks on a cruise. (virgin mojito is her favorite, lol) 

She should have the non alcoholic package, but no specialty dining. If you like premium alcohol, look at the free at sea plus upgrade. It gives you the plus drink package, internet, and more shore excursion credit and dining. 

Can't compare the two. My first Celebrity cruise is in 2 weeks. Please check back in after and let us know what you thought.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

She should have the non alcoholic package, but no specialty dining. If you like premium alcohol, look at the free at sea plus upgrade. It gives you the plus drink package, internet, and more shore excursion credit and dining. 

Can't compare the two. My first Celebrity cruise is in 2 weeks. Please check back in after and let us know what you thought.

Thank you for the info! Something I will definitely look into. 😃 

What ship are you going on with X?  Have a wonderful trip ... not hard you're on a cruise! 🛳️

15 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I've sailed both, if kids aren't going, and you don't have to have slides and broadway shows, Celebrity wins hands down.  Otherwise, NCL has a lot to offer for all age groups.  Really two different experiences.  I enjoy both.  

3 minutes ago, FlyGal25 said:

Thank you for the info! Something I will definitely look into. 😃 

What ship are you going on with X?  Have a wonderful trip ... not hard you're on a cruise! 🛳️

I'm on Beyond. First time on X. I was just reading your other thread over in their forums. You should give Joy a try. I was on Bliss last year and the Haven was nice. I'll do it again, but only in The Haven. I will not sail NCL outside of The Haven again (except maybe to try out the Prima class). They take so much space away for the haven and paid experiences like the racetrack and laser tag, that the rest of the open areas get compressed.

• Like 1

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I've sailed both, if kids aren't going, and you don't have to have slides and broadway shows, Celebrity wins hands down.  Otherwise, NCL has a lot to offer for all age groups.  Really two different experiences.  I enjoy both.  

We have a teenage daughter with us, but her favorite is Celebrity over RCCL and Disney. I know!! 🤯

She has never sailed on NCL, she wasn't born when we did the Pride of America in 2007 (and like I said, I cannot compare that product ... wouldn't be fair.)

Glad you have enjoyed both. I think my biggest worry is how crowded the Joy will feel. I loved the Oasis on Royal Caribbean, and that never felt crowded and it was a full ship - however, it is larger. 

2 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I'm on Beyond. First time on X. I was just reading your other thread over in their forums. You should give Joy a try. I was on Bliss last year and the Haven was nice. I'll do it again, but only in The Haven. I will not sail NCL outside of The Haven again (except maybe to try out the Prima class). They take so much space away for the haven and paid experiences like the racetrack and laser tag, that the rest of the open areas get compressed.

Ha! I was just posting when you posted that my biggest concern with Joy is how crowded it could feel outside of the Haven. 

Naturally, I am going to be spending time there, but I also want to venture around. They did utilize a lot of space for the go karts and gaming, which is worrisome. I know that pool area (which is a bizarre layout) is going to be IN-SANE. But when isn't it on Caribbean cruises?!  😉

I just got off the Edge in a Celebrity suite and have been on NCL Bliss and Encore. A fifteen year old will enjoy NCL twice as much. When we cruise with kids and grandkids it’s NCL ( used to be RCCL). The food on the Edge Luminae was not good. We got great great meals in Raw on Five , Eden and the Rooftop Grill. Celebrity entertainment was meh. Two good singers  and very strange shows. Going on Getaway with daughter and grandkids for winter break next week. We have a two bedroom family suite in theHaven. This is a room we take even if going alone. Food in the Haven  restaurant is great. Entertainment is great. Million Dollar Quartet andBurn the Floor. Back on the Edge following week in aRoyal Suite and since specialty restaurants are free have book all dinners in those.

8 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I just got off the Edge in a Celebrity suite and have been on NCL Bliss and Encore. A fifteen year old will enjoy NCL twice as much. When we cruise with kids and grandkids it’s NCL ( used to be RCCL). The food on the Edge Luminae was not good. We got great great meals in Raw on Five , Eden and the Rooftop Grill. Celebrity entertainment was meh. Two good singers  and very strange shows. Going on Getaway with daughter and grandkids for winter break next week. We have a two bedroom family suite in theHaven. This is a room we take even if going alone. Food in the Haven  restaurant is great. Entertainment is great. Million Dollar Quartet andBurn the Floor. Back on the Edge following week in aRoyal Suite and since specialty restaurants are free have book all dinners in those.

You'd think, but she prefers X to RCCL and DCL. 

I think some of it as an only child, she is not going in with siblings (or cousins) on this cruise. The more family oriented ships (NCL, DCL, RCCL) especially at spring break have had the tendency to be extended families where the kids go into the kids area already with others they know. That can make it tricky. 

On X she has always found some friends without issue. The last cruise we did in June she still talks to 6 of them and went to a sweet 16 party in December (4 kids including her were from the same area and none related.) 

13 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Only you know your child. On the last cruise out of a 90 % full cruise ( Edge) there were two toddlers and a baby.

Only 2 kids on a 90% full ship?

Hmm... my guess is that would have to be during school season, and perhaps a longer cruise. Back when it was Fun Factory and my daughter was in Shipmates (age 3-5) we cruised for a week during the normal school year and there were at least 3 dozen kids in that group alone. 

During school holidays and summer Celebrity has a lot of kids. Granted, I don't think the numbers are as high as NCL, MSC, or RCCL - but definitely more than you experienced. 

Ten days during school. I don’t know when the poster was going but her daughter is 15 so 3-5 year olds ( pre school) wouldn’t help her. If during school breaks, holidays or summer I’m sure you are right and there would be more kids. We are taking our 15 and 17 year old grandchildren on Constellation in June to Greece but it’s port intensive and we’ll do beach days too. 

31 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Ten days during school. I don’t know when the poster was going but her daughter is 15 so 3-5 year olds ( pre school) wouldn’t help her. If during school breaks, holidays or summer I’m sure you are right and there would be more kids. We are taking our 15 and 17 year old grandchildren on Constellation in June to Greece but it’s port intensive and we’ll do beach days too. 

I am the OP. 

I was talking about how your cruise only had 2 kids that were very young so it had me thinking it was during school and longer than 7 days. I was correct. 

I put the example of when my daughter was little (she is now 15, but I was showing when she was young and during school even then it had quite a few kids) sorry for the confusion. 

From my most recent experience with a teen ...  the typical scenario for your upcoming Greece cruise is they will go to X Club the first night, meet the group of kids they want to hang with and then start hanging out in places all over the ship. Favorites include pool/sports area, OVC, game/library to play cards, and lounge (I believe Reflections on your ship.)  Wishing you a great cruise with your grandkids on the Connie.