Least crowded spots on Norwegian ships? Places and times.

austinetc

I'm booked on the Epic, mostly (95%) for the ports. First time Norwegian cruiser and first time on a megaship. That the ship holds 4,100+ passengers and the most recent (largely negative) reviews fixate on crowds, I wonder if anyone could give me heads up on the least attended locations on board. Also on when some of the more popular spots are least crowded.  Thank you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, austinetc said:

I'm booked on the Epic, mostly (95%) for the ports. First time Norwegian cruiser and first time on a megaship. That the ship holds 4,100+ passengers and the most recent (largely negative) reviews fixate on crowds, I wonder if anyone could give me heads up on the least attended locations on board. Also on when some of the more popular spots are least crowded.  Thank you.

If you really want to avoid crowds, book the Vibe.  If crowds bother you, it will be money well spent.

33 minutes ago, austinetc said:

First, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. We have sailed on the Epic 7 times and find it “normal” in terms of crowding. It was NCL’s first big ship and things tend to be oversized. 

Depends when you are looking for quiet time. When there are not things scheduled (day time) the Bliss Lounge is big and spacious. 

Spice H20 adults only sundeck is the biggest in the fleet. 

The most exclusive spot is to buy a Thermal Suite pass. The Thermal Suite on the Epic is the bigger and best in the fleet. There are separate quiet/relaxation rooms. There is an outdoor aft facing balcony. And indoors relaxation areas… in in addition to both unisex and coed saunas and steamrooms; and heated loungers and large hydrotherapy pool with warm bubbles. 

37 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

thanks for the correction.  (Note to self, don't book Epic 😉 )

Epic does have Posh which is similar. But it's very hard to get a spot since the Haven guests also have access.

I was able to get a spot years ago, but we were literally the first people on and people were running to guest services.

1 hour ago, austinetc said:

We just got off the Epic and it was fully booked (4400 people). I was honestly surprised at how well the flow of crowds were. Elevators were never an issue except on disembarkation day (full of people with luggage).

The main bars and atrium were typically busy. We had a great time at the aft bar between Cagney's and Moderno, there were rarely more than a few people there and the bartenders were great.

Spice H20 was very quiet after dark, it was a great place to get a drink and watch the stars, the downside is that the bar half of the deck is a smoking area, so you would want to sit on the other side.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice so far. Normally I ignore poor reviews, but the Epic's are going through an unusually consistent stream of negatives. 

I'd love to book the spa, but the pre-cruise cost worked out to $50 per day. To much for me. I'll drown my sorrows in the Premium Plus Drinks package.

We have always liked the "promenade" deck on many ships where the walking/jogging track is.  Even on the RCL super mega humongous ships, this deck has been relatively free of people pretty much all day ( because there isn't anything there...except walking ).  

NCL realized this and "did something" with their promenade deck ( deck 8 ).   For instance, the Joy has bars and restaurants at that level now.  Cool idea...but it won't be the same as what we are used to....and it doesn't go all the way around the ship.  I have another thread on this topic...long story short, we will still use deck 8 as our walking track...but it will have more people than we are used to.

Edited by farmecologist

41 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

We have always liked the "promenade" deck on many ships where the walking/jogging track is.  Even on the RCL super mega humongous ships, this deck has been relatively free of people pretty much all day ( because there isn't anything there...except walking ).  

NCL realized this and "did something" with their promenade deck ( deck 8 ).   For instance, the Joy has bars and restaurants at that level now.  Cool idea...but it won't be the same as what we are used to....and it doesn't go all the way around the ship.  I have another thread on this topic...long story short, we will still use deck 8 as our walking track...but it will have more people than we are used to.

So the newer NCL ships, starting with the Breakaway, featured the Waterfront, an outdoor collection of bars and dining options. Despite this, the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class of ships still have the traditional promenade deck in addition to the waterfront.

For the newest Prima-class (Prima & Viva), the Waterfront has been exponentially expanded and renamed Ocean Boulevard and provides a true outdoor community with lounge spaces, restaurants, bars and entertainment (including art installations).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJa416 said:

So the newer NCL ships, starting with the Breakaway, featured the Waterfront, an outdoor collection of bars and dining options. Despite this, the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class of ships still have the traditional promenade deck in addition to the waterfront.

For the newest Prima-class (Prima & Viva), the Waterfront has been exponentially expanded and renamed Ocean Boulevard and provides a true outdoor community with lounge spaces, restaurants, bars and entertainment (including art installations).

Hmm...You sure on that?  I'm assuming you are referring to deck 7.  Yes, deck 7 exists on the joy....but it doesn't look like there is a walking track or anything there ( in fact, the "official" walking track is up by the pool area...which sucks ).  In fact, from what I have heard, deck 7 looks much worse than deck 8 for walking, etc... I'll admit, I haven't seen it firsthand though...so we will have to find out ourselves. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

When there are not things scheduled (day time) the Bliss Lounge is big and spacious. 

I spent a lot of time in the Bliss Lounge on the Getaway next week. It was very rarely scheduled for anything during the day.

12 hours ago, austinetc said:

For my first cruise ever in my entire life, I am booked on the Epic and like you I have seen a lot of negative reviews.  it is really scary.  Also, nobody seems to do LIVE blogs on the Epic.  They just come back and complain.

5 minutes ago, spenecer said:

For my first cruise ever in my entire life, I am booked on the Epic and like you I have seen a lot of negative reviews.  it is really scary.  Also, nobody seems to do LIVE blogs on the Epic.  They just come back and complain.

I am admittedly spoiled. Our cruise line of choice is Viking, Ocean and Rivers. But my wife has no interest in the Caribbean and Norwegian has singles with no supplement at a really good price. So I pulled the trigger on a 7 night cruise.  It'll be what it will be. Hopefully the string of complaints is just a coincidence.

9 minutes ago, spenecer said:

The epic was our first norwegian cruise 7 years ago.  We greatly enjoyed it.  The only thing we didn't like was the curved sofa in the cabin.  You will enjoy your cruise.

9 hours ago, farmecologist said:

Hmm...You sure on that?  I'm assuming you are referring to deck 7.  Yes, deck 7 exists on the joy....but it doesn't look like there is a walking track or anything there ( in fact, the "official" walking track is up by the pool area...which sucks ).  In fact, from what I have heard, deck 7 looks much worse than deck 8 for walking, etc... I'll admit, I haven't seen it firsthand though...so we will have to find out ourselves. 

So just curious...what are you looking for in a walking track?  Haven't been on the Joy (going next week) but have been on the sister ships Bliss and Encore multiple times.  Deck 7 is where the lifeboats are and you can indeed walk around it. There are no chairs, restaurants or anything else that I can remember...just the deck and the boats. So I don't know what would stop you from using this as your walking track or what more you need.

I also walk many times a day around the Waterfront, as the view is better. Yes, you cannot go completely around but cut across inside...doesn't really make a difference. 

7 hours ago, austinetc said:

I am admittedly spoiled. Our cruise line of choice is Viking, Ocean and Rivers. But my wife has no interest in the Caribbean and Norwegian has singles with no supplement at a really good price. So I pulled the trigger on a 7 night cruise.  It'll be what it will be. Hopefully the string of complaints is just a coincidence.

My only experience with cruising has been social media and YouTube, but there is a YouTube video of an unoccupied public sundeck next to Posh that is rarely used because it is inconvenient.  You go up one of the elevators for the Haven but to the next floor (deck 18). I obviously have no real idea how to get to the deck since I've never been on a cruise ship. 

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 5.55.53 AM.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spenecer said:

I've been on Epic twice, once in an inside cabin for a Mediterranean itinerary where you're basically only on the ship for breakfast and dinner. The second time was a studio cabin on a southern Caribbean itinerary and there was only 1 day without a port. Spice H2O is a handy adult only sundeck that even has a small pool for cooling off.

The ship as a whole needs a bit of a refresh, they were having soot issues last year that caused Spice to be closed but AFAIK those have been fixed. On the last refurb they re-did the entire Haven area so that is apparently very nice now but the other cabins are showing signs of wear and tear. 

The 2 main bugbears of people on Epic are normally 

1. the bathroom setup: Separate toilet with a frosted glass door, and separate shower cubicle also with frosted glass door. there is a curtain to block view the toilet/shower area from the rest of the cabin but they are either side of the door into the cabin.

2. general wear and tear: Epic is older than the Breakaway/+ class of ships had hasn't had a serious dry-dock refurb in quite some time, she was due for one in 2020 but... covid, so they wound up only doing the Haven area of the ship. 

As for crowds, all things are relative, my 2 Epic cruises were post covid and on the first one there were less than 1,500 guests on board.  I've been on Getaway and Breakaway when they've been near full capacity (this is higher than the double occupancy figure given on the website) and while waits for bars were lengthy the sheer numbers weren't a major issue for me, however I travel solo so I'd imagine families would have more trouble getting tables at restaurants or loungers on the sun decks together. 

16 hours ago, spenecer said:

For my first cruise ever in my entire life, I am booked on the Epic and like you I have seen a lot of negative reviews.  it is really scary.

Don't be deterred by the negativity on these boards.  It's what people (talk radio, conversation, etc.) like to do.  You'll have a great time.  The ship is beautiful, the staff is excellent, and you'll have more food and drink than you should be allowed to consume.  Have fun!

• Like 3

On 2/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, austinetc said:

Your personal stateroom will be your sanctuary if you need quiet. Beyond that it is peaceful if you stay on-board while the hordes invade small counties. There is no way any ship with 4,ooo plus passengers can offer peace and quiet. The name of the game is get them drinking early and keep them drinking late. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, spenecer said:

I'm negative on this board every so often...maybe a little more lately. I'm less than a year from my first NCL cruise (I had cruised Carnival once in 2009).

I'm negative when it comes to the corporation and decisions made by corporate that are then sent down to the ships. I still absolutely love the onboard experience! The staff are amazing. The food is decent, but be prepared for some not-so-great meals.

Don't listen to other posters on here who are just negative. Also, give some critical thought to those that say everything is great. The experience is somewhere in the middle. Cruise Critic is a super tiny community of folks, when compared to the thousands that cruise each day.

If I were you, after reading Cruise Critic, I'd just not expect perfection onboard. If you go into it knowing that it won't be perfect, you'll be more prepared to enjoy. I, for one, believe you'll have a great time (I certainly hope you do)!

We have cruised on the Epic twice. Once in the Haven and once in a balcony. Obviously, the Haven is a premium experience, but the balcony experience was also fine. The most frequent negatives:

1. The bathroom. This gets a lot of negative comments because of the bathroom design and privacy. In my view, an overblown issue. There is a curtain to separate the bathroom from the rest of the cabin when in use. Also, I like having the sink outside the bathroom as I can shave or brush my teeth while my wife is taking a shower. Unless you are traveling with a total stranger, which is likely not the case, this is not a big deal.

2. The elevators. Only two sets of elevators with none in the middle of the ship. Neither my wife nor I are youngsters, but we typically take the stairs to our cabin when the elevators are crowded after shows and during peak periods. It is good mandatory exercise which is needed after 20+ cruise meals. If you are handicapped, or can't climb stairs, for any other reason, this might be an issue. However, even in that case, if you wait for the theater to clear and then board an elevator, that will typically work. 

3. Crowds. It is a large ship, but not large by today's standards. We sailed twice on the MSC Meraviglia a 6,000-passenger ship. That is a large ship. The Epic is no more difficult to navigate than most ships. Obviously, if the ship is beyond capacity that makes for more congestion. However, that is pretty much a crap shoot from cruise to cruise. We've been on ships at 80% capacity and ships 100% capacity. You adapt to conditions and figure out peak periods and times and places to avoid. 

4. Entertainment. Right now, the Epic appears to be going through an entertainment transition. I actual welcome the change. On most NCL ships there are two big shows that run over and over. Once you have seen those shows, there are fewer entertainment options. It appears there will be different shows every night during the transition. We prefer that option. 

A cruise is what you make of it. If you get on a ship looking for issues, you will probably find them. Eight days in the Carribean in a balcony overlooking the sea, dining in great restaurants and seeing a show every night is a good vacation in my opinion. Will there be occasional annoyance, probably. All depends on how you decide to deal with them.