Hotels in Vancouver

I'm leaving out of Vancouver on a seven day Royal Caribbean cruise in September and will be spending two days before the cruise leaves in the city.  Where and what hotels do you like?  I'm not looking to spend a fortune but would also like someplace nice and in a nice area.  I tried searching other posts but my search would hang up the website.  As always, thank you for your help!

We are cruising from Vancouver this May.  I have reservations at Blue Horizon on Robson St.

It was the most reasonable priced one that I found with good reviews and is in the area of Canada Place where cruise terminals are.

Obviously we haven't stayed there yet but the hotel pics look nice enough & it's only for 2 nights.

3 hours ago, NeepierRoad said:

I'm leaving out of Vancouver on a seven day Royal Caribbean cruise in September and will be spending two days before the cruise leaves in the city.  Where and what hotels do you like?  I'm not looking to spend a fortune but would also like someplace nice and in a nice area.  I tried searching other posts but my search would hang up the website.  As always, thank you for your help!

We are staying five nights at the Pan Pacific prior to leaving 14 nights return grand glacier voyage on Grand princess.

we got a good special on the hotel and as this is a bucket list item, a one and only trip, we were happy to pay a little more than we usually would.

• Like 1

Well this might not be "in-expensive" but for convenience and ease of getting on the ship is the Pan Pacific Vancouver right in Canada Place. We stayed there the last time (2018) we left out of Vancouver and have booked to stay there again in August this year. They have a cruise package that includes breakfast and luggage transfer service to the ship. The hotel has an elevator that takes you right down to the port level. Last time when it was time to get on the ship the bellman took our bags and us straight down to the port level. We took our carry on bags (cameras) off the cart then he took the other bags to be put on the ship. I do not know if he put them on or what but by the time we got through customs, ship check in and walking to get on (35 min?? we have Global Entry, there we people in line for over an hour or more going through customs that day it was a mess) our bags were in our room on the ship. That impressed me. All of the tour busses (HOHO, etc.) either start of pick up there. Short walk to the observation tower, gas town. Plus the harbor view is amazing. City view is not bad either, we had a corner room. My wife loved the tub it had a window that came down to the top of the tub, she could sit in the tub and look out at the harbor to watch the sea planes take off and land. She really enjoyed that after an long day of flying. So for me the ease of getting on the ship,  not dealing with dragging my bags several blocks, cab ride, etc. of getting to the port out weighed the cost. Plus this year my wife wanted to make sure we were staying there again and had a harbor view room again. Along with diner reservations to the Five Sails restaurant. 

• Like 1

CCs search has always been... less-than-stellar. You can use Google's engine to search it instead, which avoids the problem of capacity as well as perhaps being more familiar to most people - just add site:<insert site you want to search> to the start of Googling!

As to your question - browse the West Coast Departures board and you'll find a few threads without searching at all. Good location, comfy hotel, safe, and cheap (relatively!) = one option consistently, the YWCA Hotel. Same or even better pricing than airport hotels, purpose-built as a hotel from day one in a concrete tower, a second new tower extension is only a few years old and the 'old' tower is being renovated right now until April so will be just as shiny for this cruise season. Right in Yaletown, walkable to Chinatown, Gastown, even the pier if you can roll bags a mile. Sells out on pre-cruise nights, with the 'normal' rooms going first (en suite double/twins), but if you are two couples or a family group the Jack'n'Jill paired rooms are even cheaper and only share the bathroom with each other. 5-bed family rooms may also work. No dorms like regular Ys, but there are 'shared bathroom down the hall' rooms for even less spendy rates if you can tolerate that.

• Like 1

Have not been there yet, but we are going to try Sonder hotel. Great location by Stanley Park, short uber to cruise terminal. Had great reviews. You save alot on rates if you reserve with them directly. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154943-d21526246-Reviews-Sonder_at_Revival-Vancouver_British_Columbia.html 

Edited by bflohr
  • Like 1

We have stayed several times at the Pan Pacific, and the convenience of having a bellman show up at your hotel room and take your checked luggage to the porters is very convenient indeed.  The last time we stayed there was in May, 2022.

We have stayed several times at the Auberge several times and also like it.  We spent several days there in 2018 and since then it has been totally remodeled.  We stayed there for several days in September, 2022.  The price of a one bedroom suite was equivalent to a standard room at the Pan Pacific.  Walking from the Auberge to Canada Place is very easy.  From the front door turn left for a very short walk and then it is down a slight hill for one block to the intersection across from Canada Place.  From there is down into the parking garage to the luggage drop off.

We also like the Sutton Place in Vancouver.  While it isn't too far from Canada Place folks staying there most likely will take taxis to the cruise terminal.  We certainly did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to the original thread but we booked two nights at the Blue Horizon for less than one night at Pan Pacific.  I have no issue paying $10.00 for a cab or Uber to take us and luggage to the cruise port.  YMMV

• Like 3