Waka on Avon Christchurch

We will be in Christchurch next week and doing our own thing, we are thinking of catching the No. 28 bus into Christchurch from Llyetton, doing the Gondola ride, does anyone know much about Waka on Avon, someone on cruise critic mentioned it a while ago and I just wondered if we will have time to do the Gondola and if the Waka on Avon is walking distance from the Gondola ride, any assistance would be great, thank you.

51 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

We will be in Christchurch next week and doing our own thing, we are thinking of catching the No. 28 bus into Christchurch from Llyetton, doing the Gondola ride, does anyone know much about Waka on Avon, someone on cruise critic mentioned it a while ago and I just wondered if we will have time to do the Gondola and if the Waka on Avon is walking distance from the Gondola ride, any assistance would be great, thank you.

Dig out google maps and have a look. It's over a 3-hour walk lol. 

You need to catch a short ride from Lyttleton to the Gondola. After that, bus or uber to the Waka on Avon. It's about a 20-min ride. It's right in the heart of the city. I guess if you want to ride a Waka it's fine.. personally, punting on the Avon would be my pick (you need to book ahead though as it's highly sought after and books out). Great coffee and food there too. Whilst in the centre of town.. get a Tram ticket. The tram trundles through the city centre, going past places like the museum, the Art-gallery, the cathedral (ruined, but being repaired slowly), past The terraces and through city mall. Short walk to the botanical gardens which are lovely. 

You can get combos I believe for the Tram/Gondola/Punting on the Avon - https://www.christchurchattractions.nz/

If you do the gondola; make sure you do the discovery ride at the top. It's short, but excellent!

The punting is expensive (you could hire a Kayak much cheaper instead for example and cover the same area), but the commentary etc from the guide and being able to sit back and enjoy it.. we really found it fun.