Stockholm

We are on the Voyager July 29 cruise which arrives Aug 4 at 1700 in Stockholm. RSSC website Excursions for that date shows a trip to the Vasa museum, which shows closing hours at 1900. I called RSSC to ask if perhaps they have arranged special hours at the museum. They said, "possibly." Has anyone had any experience with this, as this is the one site we were told we really need to see, and we are planning to leave early the following morning for post-cruise week in Paris. Also, does anyone know which port RSSC uses, and distance from central Stockholm?

IMO The Vasa is ok but if I had such limited time in Stockholm I would rather spend it walking in the old town Gamla Stan and having a nice dinner.

Maybe I'm in the minority but if I ever go back to Stockholm ( and I hope to be able to as it is a great city!) the Vasa would probably be last on my list to repeat.

Too bad you can't spend more time in Stockholm.

Vasa Museum is a "don't miss" tour. Granted one does not spend enough time there, but it is very interesting and so is the history regarding it. Approx. 95 % of the original ship is in the museum. One can walk around any city in the world and eat! The Vasa museum is one of a kind...thoroughly enjoyed it and would return if the occasion arose.

I must agree with cruiseluv about the Vasa being much less than the highest priority in Stockholm. I have visited the city many times either on business or on holiday and love it. But if I were in town for a short time, I would not waste the precious hours seeing the Vasa museum. As cruiseluv suggested, a leisurely wander through Gamla Stan and a good dinner at one of the old Swedish restaurants would be a good use of your time there. Depending on the time of year, you might also be able to go on one of the boat tours of the canals (the ticket office is right in front of the Grand Hotel), which would give you a marvelous sense of this lovely city. Stockholm is totally oriented to the water; and the canal tours help one understand that. Have fun. Cheers, Fred

Archived