Panama Canal - Port or Starboard?

CruisinFools

We've just booked the Coral Princess 10-dayer which, from what I understand, doesn't go through the entire canal, but part-way to some lake. That's fine, but I'd like to know from former cruisers who have done the canal, which side of the ship is better for sightseeing? Also, we have a mini--suite, mid-ship on the Dolphin deck. I've read some past reviews that these balconies are completely open. I like the idea of an open sky, but am concerned about the possible lack of privacy. What is a "bump-out" cabin and what are the advantages? My DH and I are in our mid-40's and we enjoy the company of everyone - no matter the age. It's only a number, however, when we were on the old Crown Princess, back in 1998, 99% of the passengers were of the Silver Set, which was not a problem to us, but it was VERY apparent that WE were a problem to them. For 10 days, sailing through the Mexican "Riviera", we got dirty looks, we were pushed and shoved and some woman actually tried to trip me with her walker. I actually felt guilty on Formal Night because my dress was fitted and tastefully sexy. The dirty looks I got from those cataracted eyes made me want to change into something matronly. Please, no lectures on how I'll be old someday, too. I hope I'll be more graceful and mature than the folks we sailed with on the Crown. I mention this because I've been reading that the Coral Princess/Panama Canal cruise tends to attract an older crowd. I just hope they are more tolerant of younger folks than the ones we encountered on the Crown to Mexico.

Sign me, Not too old to resent a younger generation!

It doesn't really matter which side of the ship you're on through the canal. It turns around in the lake and goes back through, so you will see it no matter which side you are on. In general, I prefer port side. Usually more scenic. You can always go up top or on the promenade deck to watch if you don't have a good enough view from your balcony. There are a few decks w/public aft balconies. Caribe is one of them, and the few decks above that.

Your balcony will be totally exposed to the decks above. Caribe deck balconies are partially exposed, which I preferred. Still get some privacy, and some shade at times. I prefer the BB balconies over the minisuite for that reason. Privacy isn't usually a problem, except coming/going from ports and when going through the canal. If that bothers you, you might want to consider changing categories. I don't remember about the bump out cabins, I'll have to check my pics and see if I have any of them.

We were also 40ish when we cruised on the Coral. It's a beautiful ship. Due to the length of the cruise, it tends to attract an older crowd. We didn't have any problems, but would have preferred livlier music. I think they toned it down on that one. :cool:

If you've got the figure for a tastfully sexy dress, go for it!

No difference. One thing I do know however, whenever they announce 'crocodile portside', you will be on the WRONG side of the ship, however they are probably only caymans anyway. On my cruise next year I never gave it a thought. Have a good cruise. john

A while back someone posted their website where they color coded the balconies and whether they were covered or not. Thought it might interest you.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

The Panama Canal is fabulous from any side!! We did a complete transit West to East in 2004 and now we are going East to West in May on the Coral. We also will be on the Dolphin deck but aft and under a bump out.

Have a great cruise, Denise

Also, you won't know until you enter the canal which side of the canal the ship will be on.

I totally agree. There are two lanes that the ships go through. You have no idea what lane the ship is going to take. Just go out on the promendade decks and up to the Lido decks and you will see everything just fine.

Marilyn

Thanks for the info. I went into that fantastic site from a former cruiser who explained about the open balconies, pictures, etc. I must admit, the open balconies seem appealing to me. Probably makes the balconies seem even larger. Need to see what DH prefers, but I do like the idea of being totally mid-sip since I get pretty seasick without my Bonine. Then again, we're doing the Caribbean in December - like sailing on glass!

Thanks again for the posts!

My DH and I are in our mid-40's and we enjoy the company of everyone - no matter the age. It's only a number, however, when we were on the old Crown Princess, back in 1998, 99% of the passengers were of the Silver Set, which was not a problem to us, but it was VERY apparent that WE were a problem to them. ...

You didn't say when you are going, but I am taking my family on the Dec 29 2006 sailing. I am mid 30s, kids will be 10 & 8. Also bringing my "older than dirt" parents (late 50's and early 60's).

I expect to have a great time.

We're going on the December 2nd sailing as we are celebrating our 20th anniversary on December 26th and want to be home for Christmas. We're in cabin D-507. If this one is yours, we'll try and leave it nice for you and your family! Enjoy the New Year onboard!

Archived