New to VV

sollan

Hi

Since 2011 we have been cruising - mostly on Celebrity but also Azamara and RCL. 

We have found Virgin Voyages that we are quite interested to try, Have tried to read as much as possible but are very greatful for help and hints ☺️

If I have understood it right -the best decks are deck 10 - 12 to avoid noice from pool deck. Would you agree witht that? 

Any help on what to think of/things to avoid/difference between VV and other cruiselines would be much appreciated!

Greeetings from Sweden!

• Like 1

EVERYTHING on VV is somewhat different than other lines.  Yes, I agree with decks 10-12 to avoid noise from above or below.  This keeps a guest room deck between you and the noise.  We liked our room on 12 so much that we booked it for our next cruise as well. 

The closest thing to VV in terms of food quality is probably Celebrity.  The food on VV is the best I've had on any cruise line.  I love the "almost all inclusive" model.  There are many good YouTube videos about VV.  One is by a man named Walter, a regular participant to this group, who does detailed and excellent discussions of various aspects of VV.

VV is not as sexual as some of the ads make it look.  There is a lot of innuendo, but there are also shows that could be on Disney! I honestly wasn't sure I'd like it as I'm older and a bit more conservative than the typical VV cruiser.  I booked 3 more sailings.  I don't know if you use travel agents in Sweden--I'd highly recommend using one if that is common for where you live. They are very helpful and can often get a little better deal thru special pricing or some onboard credit (loot).  VV is VERY casual.  There is no dress code anywhere beyond don't wear a wet swimsuit in a restaurant.  The closest thing to "dress up" is Scarlet Night, and they ask that you wear something red.  I've seen everything from a red headband to a devil costume to a ball gown.  You can go to the fanciest restaurant on the ship wearing shorts and a t-shirt if you wish, or you can dress up as much as you'd like.  THey have the friendliest crew I've seen anywhere.

Please watch some of the better YouTube videos and ask any questions you have...this is a good group.

• Like 3

I don’t think you’ll get much noise from the pool deck on 10-12. We were on deck 15, 3 rooms away from the pool. We could hear music on the terrace but nothing inside. The only deck I would avoid is 14 or any cabins by the Red Room and Manor. Those two venues have music late into the night. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Fogcityca13 said:

I don’t think you’ll get much noise from the pool deck on 10-12. We were on deck 15, 3 rooms away from the pool. We could hear music on the terrace but nothing inside. The only deck I would avoid is 14 or any cabins by the Red Room and Manor. Those two venues have music late into the night. 

We were on 14 December a year ago and had no trouble with noise. We were in an XL pretty far forward though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cantgetin said:

EVERYTHING on VV is somewhat different than other lines.  Yes, I agree with decks 10-12 to avoid noise from above or below.  This keeps a guest room deck between you and the noise.  We liked our room on 12 so much that we booked it for our next cruise as well. 

The closest thing to VV in terms of food quality is probably Celebrity.  The food on VV is the best I've had on any cruise line.  I love the "almost all inclusive" model.  There are many good YouTube videos about VV.  One is by a man named Walter, a regular participant to this group, who does detailed and excellent discussions of various aspects of VV.

VV is not as sexual as some of the ads make it look.  There is a lot of innuendo, but there are also shows that could be on Disney! I honestly wasn't sure I'd like it as I'm older and a bit more conservative than the typical VV cruiser.  I booked 3 more sailings.  I don't know if you use travel agents in Sweden--I'd highly recommend using one if that is common for where you live. They are very helpful and can often get a little better deal thru special pricing or some onboard credit (loot).  VV is VERY casual.  There is no dress code anywhere beyond don't wear a wet swimsuit in a restaurant.  The closest thing to "dress up" is Scarlet Night, and they ask that you wear something red.  I've seen everything from a red headband to a devil costume to a ball gown.  You can go to the fanciest restaurant on the ship wearing shorts and a t-shirt if you wish, or you can dress up as much as you'd like.  THey have the friendliest crew I've seen anywhere.

Please watch some of the better YouTube videos and ask any questions you have...this is a good group.

Thanks! Sounds very nice. We will use a TA because this is a new cruiseline för us and hope that we can choose a cabin we like. This isn't possible on VV' website.

I wonder if its noisy and and lots of high music played on pool deck? We are looking at a one week cruise in the Mediterranean and a TA so I presum it will be some differences on the party level.... 😅

51 minutes ago, sollan said:

Thanks! Sounds very nice. We will use a TA because this is a new cruiseline för us and hope that we can choose a cabin we like. This isn't possible on VV' website.

I wonder if its noisy and and lots of high music played on pool deck? We are looking at a one week cruise in the Mediterranean and a TA so I presum it will be some differences on the party level.... 😅

There is a DJ at the main pool most afternoons, usually for 2-3 hours but they might have two separate sessions. The jacuzzi pool will be a bit quieter and then the Athletic Club area at the aft of deck 15 will be quietest. 
The transatlantic did have the DJ on the pool deck too. 
The Dock on deck 7 had live acoustic guitar  most afternoons or just more chilled music. 

• Like 1

Next Q: VV has what they call an "Experience Match" offer where they say that they will match and even "give more". Don't understand how it works though....🤔

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity and Discover Plus on Azamara.

Does anyone know how it works and what the "give more" really means?

14 minutes ago, sollan said:

Next Q: VV has what they call an "Experience Match" offer where they say that they will match and even "give more". Don't understand how it works though....🤔

It might be the general quality of the experience. For example, they used to say $600 of extras always included, as they would say "hey on X brand you would pay $50 for softdrinks..." etc

Do you have a link to the specific bit you want help with?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sollan said:

Until the end of March they are matching with other lines loyalty programmes and giving (more) benefits. That is changing in March and no-one knows what the new loyalty program will be from April onwards. 

• Like 1

VV do include some things that are perks in Elit Plus but not all - or at a lower level compared with our loyalty level on other cruislines.

But I was thinking of discounts on WiFi  upgrades and discounts on spa. Daily cocktail hours (drinks on the house) extra laundry bags and things like that.

16 hours ago, sollan said:

Hi

Since 2011 we have been cruising - mostly on Celebrity but also Azamara and RCL. 

We have found Virgin Voyages that we are quite interested to try, Have tried to read as much as possible but are very greatful for help and hints ☺️

If I have understood it right -the best decks are deck 10 - 12 to avoid noice from pool deck. Would you agree witht that? 

Any help on what to think of/things to avoid/difference between VV and other cruiselines would be much appreciated!

Greeetings from Sweden!

Welcome to VV. We've sailed 8 cruise lines so far and I would put VV in the same vibe as Celebrity, only Celebrity has much better pools. VV's pools are very small and mainly for lounging or dancing and there is very little seating around the pools compared to other cruise lines. 

The biggest thing about VV is that it's almost all-inclusive so you're not having to pay for 'better food' or WiFi or even the soft drinks. Every night is like going to a specialty restaurant that you would typically pay $25 - $100+ on any other cruise line, but it's all included on VV. Here's my full food tour from Scarlet Lady. https://youtu.be/pBolzKvXjMU

The cabins are a bit narrower and the bathrooms are quite small, but the ship itself is stunning. Almost every deck is single story so the ship feels much smaller than it really is. The top deck is mainly all sun deck but if you'd like to sit in a shaded area, the 'porch' areas on either side of Deck 7 are quite lovely. Sit on the opposite side of the ship from the sun and you'll find all sorts of nice seating out there that's not really well used. I think most people stay up top or go to The Dock on the back of deck 7. 

The main shows are very different from any other cruise line, but there are really awesome musicians throughout the ship each evening. I think anyone who enjoys Celebrity cruise lines would definitely find a lot to like about VV. Here's our overall review of VV that includes some comparisons to other cruise lines. https://youtu.be/-R0imB73ajg

Now the one big difference between VV and everyone else is that you cannot choose your own cabin online. VV will automatically assign a cabin to you. VV has really leaned into travel agents and encourages sailors to book through them. TAs can select specific cabins on any deck as will the Sailor Services if you call in to VV. I'd say decks 9 through 13 would be good. If you want to avoid the DJ sets from the main pool, get a cabin more towards the aft or the front of the ship if you'd on Deck 13. Depending on how the wind is blowing, you still may hear some of the music from the deck sets, but they're not all that long. During Scarlet Night is when the music is the loudest. 

Overall I think you'll enjoy giving VV a try. Book before the end of February to take advantage of their free bar tabs and some TAs are currently running specials with extra sailor loot. It's a great time to book with VV! 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Now the one big difference between VV and everyone else is that you cannot choose your own cabin online. VV will automatically assign a cabin to you.

Overall I think you'll enjoy giving VV a try. Book before the end of February to take advantage of their free bar tabs and some TAs are currently running specials with extra sailor loot. It's a great time to book with VV! 

I'd suggest a slight alteration to the information provided: I changed my cabin online using Sailor Services chat, only took a couple of minutes.

The free bar tab promotions only applies to sailings in 2023 booked before the end of February, so if you're looking at a 2024 itinerary the offer does not apply.

Kevin

59 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Welcome to VV. We've sailed 8 cruise lines so far and I would put VV in the same vibe as Celebrity, only Celebrity has much better pools. VV's pools are very small and mainly for lounging or dancing and there is very little seating around the pools compared to other cruise lines. 

The biggest thing about VV is that it's almost all-inclusive so you're not having to pay for 'better food' or WiFi or even the soft drinks. Every night is like going to a specialty restaurant that you would typically pay $25 - $100+ on any other cruise line, but it's all included on VV. Here's my full food tour from Scarlet Lady. https://youtu.be/pBolzKvXjMU

The cabins are a bit narrower and the bathrooms are quite small, but the ship itself is stunning. Almost every deck is single story so the ship feels much smaller than it really is. The top deck is mainly all sun deck but if you'd like to sit in a shaded area, the 'porch' areas on either side of Deck 7 are quite lovely. Sit on the opposite side of the ship from the sun and you'll find all sorts of nice seating out there that's not really well used. I think most people stay up top or go to The Dock on the back of deck 7. 

The main shows are very different from any other cruise line, but there are really awesome musicians throughout the ship each evening. I think anyone who enjoys Celebrity cruise lines would definitely find a lot to like about VV. Here's our overall review of VV that includes some comparisons to other cruise lines. https://youtu.be/-R0imB73ajg

Now the one big difference between VV and everyone else is that you cannot choose your own cabin online. VV will automatically assign a cabin to you. VV has really leaned into travel agents and encourages sailors to book through them. TAs can select specific cabins on any deck as will the Sailor Services if you call in to VV. I'd say decks 9 through 13 would be good. If you want to avoid the DJ sets from the main pool, get a cabin more towards the aft or the front of the ship if you'd on Deck 13. Depending on how the wind is blowing, you still may hear some of the music from the deck sets, but they're not all that long. During Scarlet Night is when the music is the loudest. 

Thanks!!! 😍

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:08 AM, WanderingBrit said:

I'd suggest a slight alteration to the information provided: I changed my cabin online using Sailor Services chat, only took a couple of minutes.

The free bar tab promotions only applies to sailings in 2023 booked before the end of February, so if you're looking at a 2024 itinerary the offer does not apply.

Kevin

I've taken this route to get a different cabin than the one offered:  VV usually offers a "24 hour hold" option in their online reservations (at the payment page section).  Twice I placed a reservation on this '24-hour hold' and then called sailor services to see if my favorite cabin was available.  If so, he/she was able to switch me over and I went back and completed the reservation payment online.

As others said avoid deck 14.  You can go to cruisedeckplans dot com and look at what's above and or below you.  I only choose cabins that have cabins above and or below mine and avoid cabins close to the stairways and elevators.

Hope this helps

• Like 3