Plugs and Power Strips

ChrisC101

Hi we are on Wind Spirit in Tahiti next month.  I want to bring a power strip.  We have one that had USB and power ports that we have used all over Europe that has multiple plugs to use.  However I have read you CANNOT bring a power strip with a surge protector on cruise ships.  However I have also been looking for non-surge protected power strips on Amazon and almost all of them are designed for US outlets only.  Help!  I emailed Windstar but no response yet.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Most cruise ships are built in either Asia or Europe, and have primarily 220 volt systems.

Windstar's 2 small sailing ships (Star and Spirit) were built in France - but have 110 volt systems, with plenty of 110 volt outlets.

Windstar's motor ships have 220 volt systems, but recently added many USB outlets to their cabins. USB does not rely on specific voltage. You can plug in all your toys there.

On almost any cruise ship, the Housekeeping Department has a supply of power strips that you can borrow for use in your cabin.

24 minutes ago, r&rd said:

There is at least one 110 outlet in the yacht staterooms. If you rely on USB ports make sure the cables for your electronics are USB and not USBc which many of the newer devices come with.

I think our devices are old enough they use usb?  iPhone 8 and SE, Apple Watch SE, two older gen iPads all using lightning plugs.  Newer Fitbit, not sure what it uses.  Am I ok?

4 hours ago, r&rd said:

There is at least one 110 outlet in the yacht staterooms. If you rely on USB ports make sure the cables for your electronics are USB and not USBc which many of the newer devices come with.

If you have USBc, you can buy a USB converter plug.