Waverunner in BB or Moorea Dolphin watch

Hi,

There is my excursion

Bora Bora:

- 4X4 safari

- Shark feeding + lagoonarium

Moorea:

- Aquablue

We want a another excursion which is better Waverunner in Bora Bora or Dolphin watching expedtion in Moorea? If we choose the first we will have a lot of activities in Bora Bora but just one in Moorea. I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your suggestion

Vero

For me, the waverunners in Bora Bora were the highlight of my entire cruise. In the top three excursions of all time for me. The dolphin watching was just okay. We saw dolphins but it wasn't very exciting. Nice views of Moorea from the boat though.

We saw about 75 dolphins on the Moorea excursion two weeks ago. It was fantastic. I have one picture, which I hope to post with many others in the next couple of weeks, that has a spinner dolphin in mid-air. The scenery alone is beautiful when circling the island.

-------------------------

Eugene

At least as of last year, it was rarely worth booking an excursion privately on the PG. The prices were fair, and the ship backed you up--i.e., if an excursion got cancelled, you get a refund. I have never done a private excursion from the PG, apart from renting a car.

I guess it all depends on what your cup of tea is. The waverunners are more exhilerating an excursion, whereas I found the Dr. Poole dolphin watch to be very, very, relaxing and we too saw lots of dolphins when we were there. Also, a good opportunity to take lots of photos of the islands from the water. Another thing to think about too, is the sun. The dolphin boat had a canopy on it. I think it's really a personal choice as to how fast paced you want your excursion to be.

Pat

We jsut returned today, i heard excellent reviews on the dolphin watch. It is for sure more mellow of an excursion and more educational. IF you want pure fun then go for the waverunners in BB. This was by far one of our favorite excursions. The runner of the tour "monkey" is super cool. Makes for a great day!

ABSOLUTELY Wave runners in Bora Bora! The very best excursion ever! I also did the waverunners in Moorea. That was more exciting (bumpy, scary, might fall off) but the scenery on the Bora Bora waverunners was beyond compare.

Having been on this board for several years, the Bora Bora wave runner tour consistently comes out on top for the whole cruise. I was fortunate to have a pre-cruise in Moorea, and saw dolphins at the Moorea Beachcomber Hotel. It was not connected with Dr. Poole's excursion from the ship, and many have issues with Dolphins being kept in sheltered (fenced off) lagoons.

jhp, I'm sure you know this, but just to clarify for others:

Dr. Poole's excursion is to observe dolphins in the wild, not to "swim with dolphins" or pet them or anything. He is a respected zoologist, and a strong opponent of these practices. That's why sometimes you don't see any dolphins. His boat goes around the lagoon, to the passages, and attempts to try to find the dolphins, and then keeps a respectable distance, and simply watches. There is no contact with the animals at all, they are not fed, for instance, so they are not even partially "tame" like the sting rays that we have all fed on various excursions.

Good point Wendy! Actually, I felt bad after taking the lagoonarium shore excursion as I had no idea that the sharks, turtles, fish etc. were enclosed in such a tiny area and subjected to swimmers (all of us) close in their midst. I would never take this tour again just for that simple fact that the creatures were all penned in.

Pat

Wendy and Pat, thanks for clarifying. I only said some have "issues" with this practise. At the Moorea Beachcomber, I have no idea how much space those dolphins have to live. I did not participate, just stood on one of the bridges over the lagoon and watched for a couple of days...it was sort of like being at a "Seaworld" type event. Trainers were there rewarding the trained dolphins, and the tourists were participating in the water getting the dolphins to interact with them. All seemed to be having a great time! I thought since the Cousteaus are now associated with RSSC/Regent that all activities with captive Dolphins were supposed to stop. That does not appear to be the case. I am not on one side or the other of the issue. Just posting my observations.

Yes, I definitely have issues with these practices too. More so after listening to Poole. And after going on an excursion with a marine biologist in BB, who told us that not only did they destroy lots of coral to construct that lagoonarium, but that the animals regular die, and are simply dumped and replaced. But I still like feeding the stingrays, got to admit.

Archived