Booking on board rules

RoddyGateau

Although I have cruised with Azamara several times (Discoverer Plus), I only recently became aware of the advantages of booking future cruises on board. I will soon be embarking on an Azamara cruise and have another one booked (through my TA) for April 2024.  Is there any reason why I could not cancel my 2024 cruise and rebook it on my upcoming cruise? I realize that there is some risk of my preferred type of cabin not being available and would probably not attempt this if the risk is significant. 

I booked a back to back on board and found the rates dropped saving me thousand of dollars after. I cancelled and rebooked with my travel agent. Also note you can book on board and then transfer the booking to your travel agent. I suggest you do the math and see if it makes sense. Note the benefits of booking on board are based upon your level in the loyalty program. 

59 minutes ago, RoddyGateau said:

Although I have cruised with Azamara several times (Discoverer Plus), I only recently became aware of the advantages of booking future cruises on board. I will soon be embarking on an Azamara cruise and have another one booked (through my TA) for April 2024.  Is there any reason why I could not cancel my 2024 cruise and rebook it on my upcoming cruise? I realize that there is some risk of my preferred type of cabin not being available and would probably not attempt this if the risk is significant. 

I recall being told that a cruise booked through your TA could only be cancelled through your TA. The Future Cruise staff onboard cannot cancel your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

I booked a back to back on board and found the rates dropped saving me thousand of dollars after. I cancelled and rebooked with my travel agent. Also note you can book on board and then transfer the booking to your travel agent. I suggest you do the math and see if it makes sense. Note the benefits of booking on board are based upon your level in the loyalty program. 

Thanks. I have an Owners Suite booked booked so the 7% savings on a 15 night cruise are quite significant.  I was wondering if Azamara had any rule that makes the on board booking perks only applicable to “ new” bookings.

48 minutes ago, RoddyGateau said:

Thanks. I have an Owners Suite booked booked so the 7% savings on a 15 night cruise are quite significant.  I was wondering if Azamara had any rule that makes the on board booking perks only applicable to “ new” bookings.

It does not apply to "new" bookings.  We have booked onboard for the same cruise that we had booked with our travel agent so that we could get the savings.  It was worth it even with having to pay the cancellation fee for the first one.  However, since your travel agent is the only one who can cancel there has to be some coordination if you want the same cabin.  Either you have to cancel your first one and then rebook or you have to book the new one with a different cabin, contact your agent and have them cancel and then they grab the original cabin once it's available again.  I know - convoluted!  The real problem happens if there is wait list for that specific cabin.  Once the reservation is cancelled and that cabin becomes available, it automatically goes to anyone on a wait list. Good luck!!

1 hour ago, crzrr said:

It does not apply to "new" bookings.  We have booked onboard for the same cruise that we had booked with our travel agent so that we could get the savings.  It was worth it even with having to pay the cancellation fee for the first one.  However, since your travel agent is the only one who can cancel there has to be some coordination if you want the same cabin.  Either you have to cancel your first one and then rebook or you have to book the new one with a different cabin, contact your agent and have them cancel and then they grab the original cabin once it's available again.  I know - convoluted!  The real problem happens if there is wait list for that specific cabin.  Once the reservation is cancelled and that cabin becomes available, it automatically goes to anyone on a wait list. Good luck!!

Thanks so much! that’s what was looking for.

15 hours ago, RoddyGateau said:

It is true that your travel agent will need to cancel the booking, however it should be able to be done in a way that you will not risk losing your current cabin.  Your TA can email the future cruise desk onboard the ship to coordinate it.

1 hour ago, oddjob16 said:

May I ask a relevant question to this thread? 
Can you choose currency for booking on board or will it always be US $?

Ours is always sterling even if placed with Azamara and not a travel agent.  I did ask for a $ booking (ok a few years ago, it would have been advantageous in those good old days) and was told no unless I used a US travel agent (which I then went ahead and did) - also got far better cancellation terms

• Like 1

7 hours ago, uktog said:

Ours is always sterling even if placed with Azamara and not a travel agent.  I did ask for a $ booking (ok a few years ago, it would have been advantageous in those good old days) and was told no unless I used a US travel agent (which I then went ahead and did) - also got far better cancellation terms

Thanks. We might do a booking in Norwegian Kroners on board if they allow it. Better conversion and then bring it back to our local TA. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask - what are the advantages of booking a future cruise whilst onboard.

Also if you book what are the advantages of then transferring the booking if you are UK based to a UK travel agent, will the UK travel agent be happy to take over the booking so do I assume there is an advantage for them

Regards

The advantage depends on your loyalty level the discount is between 5-10% and you pay a reduced deposit.

https://www.azamara.co.uk/loyalty/azamara-circle/onboard-benefits

A UK agent will be happy to take over the booking and you should be able to negotiate a small benefit from them, but do not expect to see the $000s of onboard credit guests in America get.  Remember, transferring to an agent means you lose almost all your control of the booking, for which they get the benefit of commission from Azamara usually for virtually no work given you booked onboard

30 minutes ago, Billy Butlin said:

Can I ask - what are the advantages of booking a future cruise whilst onboard.

Also if you book what are the advantages of then transferring the booking if you are UK based to a UK travel agent, will the UK travel agent be happy to take over the booking so do I assume there is an advantage for them

Regards

In addition to uktog’s answer, booking onboard you will also get $200 onboard credit for the cruise you book which is increased to $300 if you book in the first half of the cruise.

Edited by Riocca
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. As it happens we’ve decided to postpone this cruise in favour  of a Hurtigruten Antarctica expedition cruise. We’re not getting any younger and decided that we better do Antarctica before we get too old for hopping in and out of Zodiacs or all the ice melts.