Last minute cruising advice?

kaymoz

We might be in New York in March, so we are contemplating sailing on NCL Getaway from 10-18 March (to Orlando, Great Stirrup Cay, Bermuda).  Our decision will be a VERY last minute one, assuming everything isn't booked up by the time we have some schedule certainty.  Some categories are already sold out! 

--How can we see which cabins are currently available?  Every time I try to do a booking to check this, I end up on a GTY pathway.

--What is the difference between the categories of Balcony and Club Balcony -- is it just the bigger bathroom, with tub and a second sink?

--What opportunities have we likely missed due to late booking -- such as reservation opportunities that opened 120 days prior or the like?

--What dinner reservation options would we still have, how and when?

--Finally, do you have any advice about last minute booking with NCL? (We've cruised many times before but always on much smaller ships and generally booking a few months ahead.) 1920x1042_Getaway-M1-Aft-Facing-Club-Balcony-Suite_Schematic.jpg

1920x1042_Getaway-BA-BB-BF-Balcony_Schematic.jpg

I admit I am somewhat new to cruising and very new to NCL, so I can't answer all of these questions with confidence, but here is what I do know...

--Club Balcony Suites get a few extra perks like one free laundry service, little foods and beverages brought to your room twice per sailing (for 7-day cruises), a slightly bigger room, bigger bathroom and shower with body sprayers, a second sink, and early booking for specialty dining (obviously the last one doesn't apply if you book at the last minute)

--You will definitely miss out on prime dinner reservation times, vibe passes, spa passes, and reservations for popular shows. With that being said, you can always check with guest services when you embark and ask if anyone has made changes to their dinner/entertainment reservations. I've also heard that if you wait in the standby lines for the shows, you will almost always get in. For specialty restaurants, you might not get so lucky and you may have to eat late, but the complimentary restaurants are always available and don't require reservations!

--I think my overall advice from the countless posts I've read so far and social media groups I've followed is that if you are prepared to be super flexible and enjoy a more simple cruise without all the frills, you could still have an awesome time. There are a lot of wonderful complimentary options available as part of your cruise fare that you could still have an incredible time, you just may miss out on some of the premium included options that other cruisers who booked months ago are enjoying (like specialty dining at prime time and popular shows). If you go in with all that in mind, I think you could still have a great time!

• Like 1

If you decide to book last minute I would definitely add Priority Access so you could board as early as possible.  Be at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal around 9:30 for priority checkin.  Boarding would happen around 11:00 after Haven, special needs, Diamond, sapphire, platinum members then priority.  Most of the people before you already have their dining reservations…so you would want to head directly to dining reservations…make as many as you can.  Also, prior to boarding you may want to add the 2 speciality dining upgrade…and see if you can make any Main Dinjng Room reservations.  They hold some SPD reservations for onboard booking.  Then off to the box office to do entertainment reservations.  

• Like 2

The Getaway has been sailing very FULL and selling out early as of late. I will be on the February 26th sailing, which has been sold out since around the end of January. 

March 10th is pretty darn close, and multiple categories showing as "sold out" doesn't surprise me. Many times the website will show availability, only to inform you one level down, that there is no availability. If you want to be on this sailing, I suggest you call NCL soon. Although only guarantees are available on the website, you can always call NCL and ask if there is any option for choosing your own cabin.

Edited by vince_g
  • Like 1

NCL post Covid all entertainment cannot be booked till on board so no problem do it as soon as you get on.  Not sure what you were getting guarantee only cabin types other than maybe you chose sail away categories which is always guarantee only, I found 53 cabins available in balcony BA category but ship looks quite full.  Also zero club balconies available with assignment options 

• Like 1

Are you looking at the NCL website?  If so, might want to try some of the big online travel agencys, you know the ones that claim CHEAP prices?  They sometimes will show different inventory.  

Or, it could be simply close to being sold out.

• Like 1

I usually book  way out and am picky about the cabin, but for last minute just book the best category you can realize you might get an obstructed view or noisy location.

Don't sweat booking stuff you can usually do early or late and get in.  I like to get to the ship later after the crowds if possible so you can just walk on with no lines at all.   An extra 2 hours on the ship is not big deal to me.

Call some agencies, check the warehouse club agencies contact them directly too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kaymoz said:

We might be in New York in March, so we are contemplating sailing on NCL Getaway from 10-18 March (to Orlando, Great Stirrup Cay, Bermuda).  Our decision will be a VERY last minute one, assuming everything isn't booked up by the time we have some schedule certainty.  Some categories are already sold out! 

The biggest advice is book your cruise and have fun. Stop fretting over things which are really OBE at this point. 

--How can we see which cabins are currently available?  Every time I try to do a booking to check this, I end up on a GTY pathway.

At this point, work with a Travel Agent or directly with an NCL reservation agent to find the perfect room for your cruise. 

--What is the difference between the categories of Balcony and Club Balcony -- is it just the bigger bathroom, with tub and a second sink?

On the Getaway, the Balcony and Club Balcony room sizes are identical. The extra space is in the bathroom where you get a double sink, full size shower (versus normal cruise ship transporter tube), and extra space around the toilet to spread out. 

--What opportunities have we likely missed due to late booking -- such as reservation opportunities that opened 120 days prior or the like?

Most of the prime time dining would likely be sold out. As soon as you embark, make dining reservations a priority (Teppanyaki Deck 6 midship). Show reservations opened yesterday and you may be able to make entertainment reservations. If not, make your show reservations as soon as you embark (Headliners Deck 6 midship). 

--What dinner reservation options would we still have, how and when?

Most of the prime time specialty dining would likely be sold out. As soon as you embark, make dining reservations a priority (Teppanyaki Deck 6 midship). Popular restaurants like Cagney's Steakhouse will sell out on embarkation day.

Main dining room is Freestyle, show up when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. You can make reservations, but at this point, I would just show up and wait. The Tropicana Room is the largest of the MDRs and there will be live music nightly and sometimes a short show from the Burn the Floor cast. Taste and Savor are the smaller MDRs. All serve the same menu. 

There is always the Garden Cafe buffet. And O'Sheehan's 24 hour dining (wings and beer at 2 am). 

--Finally, do you have any advice about last minute booking with NCL? (We've cruised many times before but always on much smaller ships and generally booking a few months ahead.) 

Enjoy the cruise. We normally book on short notice,,, more because we can't plan much more than a few months in advance. 

Book the cruise and immediately get checked in online to get your port check-in time. Early times are probably already gone... but get something close to when  you want to show up. They have not been checking times, so show up early to get your dining and entertainment sorted out. 

Show reservations opened yesterday and you may be able to make entertainment reservations online. You can book Million Dollar Quartet, Burn the Floor (dancing with the stars ballroom dancing), Comedy (early shows family oriented, late shows 18+). 

Get your transportation to/from the ship sorted out. It is Spring Break season and airfare and pre-/post-hotels are expensive. 

You'll be enjoying your beverage package in a few weeks!!! We're jealous. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

On 2/17/2023 at 7:15 PM, laudergayle said:

If you decide to book last minute I would definitely add Priority Access so you could board as early as possible.  Be at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal around 9:30 for priority checkin.  Boarding would happen around 11:00 after Haven, special needs, Diamond, sapphire, platinum members then priority.  Most of the people before you already have their dining reservations…so you would want to head directly to dining reservations…make as many as you can.  Also, prior to boarding you may want to add the 2 speciality dining upgrade…and see if you can make any Main Dinjng Room reservations.  They hold some SPD reservations for onboard booking.  Then off to the box office to do entertainment reservations.  

when does priority access come available to book, we are 35 days out and I can't find it (and have been searching for awhile. Does it come up during Check In? Thanks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frogger22 said:

when does priority access come available to book, we are 35 days out and I can't find it (and have been searching for awhile. Does it come up during Check In? Thanks!

I had to ask my PCC to add it.  You can do it now.

• Like 1

Generally you can find available rooms at cruise consolidating websites.(you'll need to google to find one as posting on CC is not allowed)  I use that to get an idea what's really available.  As mentioned a TA can book those rooms for you. Possibly a PCC could too but don't know for sure.  Not sure why NCL's consumer website doesn't allow.

• Like 1

Make specialty restaurant reservations as soon as you board, they hold some back, same with shows. We are a family of 7 and never once made reservations in the MDR’s and never had to wait to be seated. Spa passes can be bought onboard, vibe is most likely sold out. We’ve never booked excursions from NCL at those ports. Definitely call or use a TA.

• Like 1