OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE FEB19-26 2023

morpheusofthesea

Getting off the ship this morning at beautiful Ocean Cay we met our butler Gusti. He informed us that all aboard was at 5:30 and all services close at 3:00 on the island. We told him we were not going to Ocean House that we were going to just walk around and spend the beautiful day on the ship. He asked where we intended to lunch and we expressed our desire to have a pizza delivered to our cabin."What kind, how many and when. I am staying on board and will deliver it to you." Service. 

That is another thing I am noticing on this cruise. The guests are walking around the YC with smiles.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 6

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

In Miami, technically, yes. It's part of the Food and Beverage tax. I don't know how NCL handles non-alcoholic purchases while in port since I've never purchased a non-alcoholic beverage in port. 🤪

So if MSC is paying a lump sum as part of the cruise fare, and they have the lowest fares, they must be eating some of it.

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just noticed something interesting. There is a sign up on one of the pergolas "Reserved for suite #16011" which is not an Owners suite or Royal Suite. So obviously anyone in the Yacht Club can reserve a cabana. Will have to ask the concierge how much?

That's been going on for a long time. Cabanas used to only be for Royal Suite guests or paid extra by guests. The free for all "first come, first serve" for cabanas came later. MSC used to charge a lot for cabana rental but prices have dropped substantially. 

2 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

So if MSC is paying a lump sum as part of the cruise fare, and they have the lowest fares, they must be eating some of it.

Unlikely. It's more likely that the other lines are over charging guests. When the tax burden is spread out over thousands of guests, the amount per guest is negligible. 

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The only time we were charged a 7% tax was before leaving Miami at the Venchi Chocolate kiosk.

Thanks @morpheusofthesea for the clarification. Since MSC YC does not keep track of how many non-Venchi beverages are consumed before sail away, I consider that one more advantage over NCL Haven. 🙂

Just noticed something interesting. There is a sign up on one of the pergolas "Reserved for suite #16011" which is not an Owners suite or Royal Suite. So obviously anyone in the Yacht Club can reserve a cabana. Will have to ask the concierge how much?

Just found out. Some of the MSC ships will rent out the available cabanas. On Seascape the policy, at the moment, is 'first come first serve' on the remaining pergolas. This cruise #16011 is VIP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

Thank you for reviewing!  Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but which YC suite type are you in?

Is the consensus now that cabanas are free for all YC guests?

With DW bringing 12 suitcases for a weeks cruise, we are limited to cabins that can accommodate this 'excess'. Worse is that once one books a Royal or Owners suite one will never be satisfied with a regular balcony cabin again. So I recommend working oneself up to the best life has to offer and defer booking a Royal or Owners suite until the time comes when one looks oneself in the mirror and says "its now or never !"

P.S. Royal Suite

P.S.S. Free for all

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So at noon we ventured down from our pergola on deck 20 One Pool Deck and got out of the dedicated YC elevator on deck 16 to go to our cabin when the concierge looks up at us and blurts out "Your pizza is on its way !" (We never placed the order with her). Next moment the pizza is delivered hot to the cabin. We leave the cabin to 'walk off' the lunch and on our return to the YC both our room steward and the head butler ask "How was your pizza?" Did we miss some public address announcement about our pizza delivery? Everyone knows everything that is going on in the YC.

Here is an interesting story that I am just getting over the embarrassment. Last cruise we had a lovely couple sitting in the pergola next to us on the YC pool deck. Had a great time talking, actually extolling the great things about MSC Yacht Club and comparing how much better we found it to be than the Celebrity Retreat, NCL Haven, RCCL Coastal Kitchen, going on and on giving concrete examples of our experiences. We both had security cameras that we could view from our cell phones of back home in South Florida, and his son's car wash. I get home after the cruise and DW sees his picture all over the media. Mr. and Mrs. Sasso, President and CEO of MSC. They never let on....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just found out. Some of the MSC ships will rent out the available cabanas. On Seascape the policy, at the moment, is 'first come first serve' on the remaining pergolas. This cruise #16011 is VIP.

We've seen it on a few occasions on recent cruises.  The last two times were for an officer's family.  I do like how MSC does some good things for the crew (recognition programs, allowing family members to sail for free, etc.).

• Like 1

Here is an interesting story that I am just getting over the embarrassment. Last cruise we had a lovely couple sitting in the pergola next to us on the YC pool deck. Had a great time talking, actually extolling the great things about MSC Yacht Club and comparing how much better we found it to be than the Celebrity Retreat, NCL Haven, RCCL Coastal Kitchen, going on and on giving concrete examples of our experiences. We both had security cameras that we could view from our cell phones of back home in South Florida, and his son's car wash. I get home after the cruise and DW sees his picture all over the media. Mr. and Mrs. Sasso, President and CEO of MSC. They never let on....

Best friends ever!

The show tonight in the Chora Theater was a ventriloquist with his muppet who did a nice job saying most of his lines in five languages.

Went back to the Cabaret Rouge. The band is back as backup for Samulous the MC. Different songs and another male vocalist and the French vocalist/ violinist did some great French standards. DW just brought it to my attention that the new acts in the Cabaret Rouge are the singers that one sees in the Chora Theatre production shows doing their own ‘thing’. Great move on someone’s part.

• Like 2

It is so easy to over look and take for granted some seeming insignificant things but they add up to a more enjoyable time while on board any cruise ship. 

1- E muster drill

2- Cabins open embarkation day to drop off carryons

3- Walk-in showers (not tub/shower combos)

4- Dedicated restaurant that does not take 2 hours for dinner to arrive

5- No non-suite Pinnacle/Zenith passengers taking up valuable real estate

6- Cabin cleaning twice per day with extra towels

7-  Bottled water included

8-  A butler that is not far and are most accommodating

9- A generally working elevator override key card 

10- A shorter distance between decks from cabin to dedicated restaurant

11- a gated community setting

12- 'Cushioned' lounge chairs'

13-  Clean private island with no bugs climbing onto beach furniture

14- Dedicated restaurant open port day15- Reserved seating in theatre for all performances

Just off the top of my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is so easy to over look and take for granted some seeming insignificant things but they add up to a more enjoyable time while on board any cruise ship. 

1- E muster drill

2- Cabins open embarkation day to drop off carryons

3- Walk-in showers (not tub/shower combos)

4- Dedicated restaurant that does not take 2 hours for dinner to arrive

5- No non-suite Pinnacle/Zenith passengers taking up valuable real estate

6- Cabin cleaning twice per day with extra towels

7-  Bottled water included

8-  A butler that is not far and are most accommodating

9- A generally working elevator override key card 

10- A shorter distance between decks from cabin to dedicated restaurant

11- a gated community setting

12- 'Cushioned' lounge chairs'

13-  Clean private island with no bugs climbing onto beach furniture

14- Dedicated restaurant open port day

15- Reserved seating in theatre for all performances

Just off the top of my head.

Great list!

1.  I think meeting all those criteria limits a passenger from "Any cruise ship" to only Yacht Club equipped MSC ships.

2.  If I could be so bold, I would add one other thing that adds to the experience:  A caring and knowledgeable crew as a whole.  We don't travel with the frequency you do, usually two or only one time a year, but on our recent first-time cruise on MSC Meraviglia last October, two events stood out to us.  In the Top Sail Lounge, the bartender waved at us when we came in at our initial embarking, and said, "Two champagne, no prosecco, correct?"  He was in the YC when we were on a B2B on Seashore in Feb-March of the year, and remembered our preference for champagne (or aversion to prosecco!).  Even more amazing, our Junior Butler greeted us the second morning, and asked if we were in room XXX on the Seaside in 2019.  He said that it was his first cruise as a Junior Butler, and he remembered us from that stay!  That kind or memory and focus is amazing!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The show tonight in the Chora Theater was a ventriloquist with his muppet who did a nice job saying most of his lines in five languages.

Went back to the Cabaret Rouge. The band is back as backup for Samulous the MC. Different songs and another male vocalist and the French vocalist/ violinist did some great French standards. DW just brought it to my attention that the new acts in the Cabaret Rouge are the singers that one sees in the Chora Theatre production shows doing their own ‘thing’. Great move on someone’s part.

Is Cabaret Rouge another theater? Are reservations required for the shows?

35 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Is Cabaret Rouge another theater? Are reservations required for the shows?

Cabaret Rouge is located on the aft end of the ship. It has its own bar with waiter service and tables. It can seat 450 guests but only 150 have good view of the stage. This cruise it is our go to entertainment venue.The only problem is the repeating the same acts, like watching the contortionist climb through a tennis racket. I guess this is really no different than seeing basically the same production show in the Chora Theatre with the same type of singing, dancing, and acrobatics with no storyline, just changing the color of the costumes and the name of the shows. No reservations or separate YC section. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Cabaret Rouge is located on the aft end of the ship. It has its own bar with waiter service and tables. It can seat 450 guests but only 150 have good view of the stage. This cruise it is our go to entertainment venue.The only problem is the repeating the same acts, like watching the contortionist climb through a tennis racket.

Miss the college kids (Monet and other shows) from February and March on the Seashore!  They were so enthusiastic, and the singing and dancing were great.