OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE FEB19-26 2023

morpheusofthesea

3 hours ago, UWGRAD1 said:

I'm confused by what you are referring to for "Fantasia class guests that are given "access" to the YC".  Is there a group outside of YC who can access the Pool Deck?  

Welcome to CC. I am honored to be your first posting. I hope I am not your last.

There is one problem that exists for suite guests on many of these cruise lines that wish to cater and raise prices on their top cabins. RCCL has their non suite Pinnacles, Celebrity has their non suite Zeniths and MSC has their non Yacht Club passengers with "access" to all the Yacht Club venues and amenities. For example, all these "types" can and do take up valuable real estate that is limited to suite paying guests. One is not able to reserve one of the limited cabanas/pergolas of the Retreat or YC sun deck. They are "first come, first serve " and these types get up early in the morning and chair hog these coveted spots with impunity. They shouldn't even be in these venues, we have enough suite paying chair hogs that do the same thing.

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Sometimes, certain non-YC people are given YC access. It's kind of a "...not what you know but who you know..." thing. Friends/family members of MSC employees, etc. 

Here is another Observation from the Poop Deck. Have found the family of the particular employee with "access" to be quite charming individuals and enjoy 'rubbing elbows'. It's the 'friends' from steerage that are quite 'snooty'. Harrumph.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Caught another "special" in today's program that has been expanded. Last evening of the cruise the Venchi Kiosk is offering 20% off EVERYTHING at 6 pm. All past events the 20% sale was only on boxes of chocolates. Do not know how long the sale lasts, will mosey down after dinner. The Venchi chocolate online is $110 / kilo (2.2 lbs) and has been $77/ kilo on board in the past.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Welcome to CC. I am honored to be your first posting. I hope I am not your last.

There is one problem that exists for suite guests on many of these cruise lines that wish to cater and raise prices on their top cabins. RCCL has their non suite Pinnacles, Celebrity has their non suite Zeniths and MSC has their non Yacht Club passengers with "access" to all the Yacht Club venues and amenities. For example, all these "types" can and do take up valuable real estate that is limited to suite paying guests. One is not able to reserve one of the limited cabanas/pergolas of the Retreat or YC sun deck. They are "first come, first serve " and these types get up early in the morning and chair hog these coveted spots with impunity. They shouldn't even be in these venues, we have enough suite paying chair hogs that do the same thing.

@morpheusofthesea  Just to clarify one point.  Celebrity's "non suite Zeniths" do not have access to any of the Retreat facilities (i.e., Retreat Sun Deck, Retreat Lounge, Luminae).  All Retreat facilities are reserved solely for suite occupants.  I know this for a fact as I am Zenith on Celebrity (but always book suites so the issue is a "non-issue" for me!)  I will be sailing MSC from NYC in September.  It's my first experience with MSC Yacht Club and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I also immensely enjoy all your "observations from the poop deck" no matter which line you are sailing.  Enjoy!!

Edited by jcpc
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I’m still confused.  In order for an interloper to access a cabana (or any other area within the YC enclave) isn’t it necessary for said interloper to first breach a secured entry point? 

1 hour ago, Bobbiegentry said:

I’m still confused.  In order for an interloper to access a cabana (or any other area within the YC enclave) isn’t it necessary for said interloper to first breach a secured entry point? 

Asked concierge same. Said interlopers wait and follow YC guests in. Only door that has concierge desk is manned.

Besides interlopers there were 40  outside guests with “access”.

24 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Asked concierge same. Said interlopers wait and follow YC guests in. Only door that has concierge desk is manned.

The “follow-me-in gate crashers” are clearly an identifiable problem. The friends/family of crew as @Two Wheels Only described seems to me to be more of a systemic problem and one which is much more difficult to fix. 

Do YC’ers ever speak with those who attempt to follow them in through the gate and ask them if they are staying in the YC? I realize this degree of confrontation isn’t for everyone but still, I wonder if it happens. 

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Don't YC'ers wear a wristband?  Or do people not like wearing them?

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Some do wear wristbands. Others give wristbands to friends or family staying outside YC and use their key cards to enter enclave themselves.

I guess that eliminates using those as a means to identify who belongs or doesn't.  Seems they could solve the issue by issuing either a key card OR a wristband and not both.

16 minutes ago, sabres431 said:

I guess that eliminates using those as a means to identify who belongs or doesn't.  Seems they could solve the issue by issuing either a key card OR a wristband and not both.

The cards are still needed to leave the ship. Even Ocean Cay requires a card in order to leave the ship.

• Thanks 1

The production show in the Chora theatre needed the 4 piece band from the Le Cabaret Rouge for its show tonight. Didn't help.

The first set in the Le Cabaret Rouge was pure entertainment (No contortionist). Really the best entertainment on the ship.

It's 10:30 pm and our bedtime. On our way back to our cabin on deck 7  I was accosted by a 3 year old who called me "Porky". First time in 70 years. Been called many things in 70 years, but this is my most memorable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The production show in the Chora theatre needed the 4 piece band from the Le Cabaret Rouge for its show tonight. Didn't help.

The first set in the Le Cabaret Rouge was pure entertainment (No contortionist). Really the best entertainment on the ship.

It's 10:30 pm and our bedtime. On our way back to our cabin on deck 7  I was accosted by a 3 year old who called me "Porky". First time in 70 years. Been called many things in 70 years, but this is my most memorable.

Hope you told him he was short!

I would like nothing better than to spend time extolling the virtues of the Yacht Club and particular YC individuals deserving of praise, but must waste my time bringing to attention the abuse using the Yacht Club at the expense of paying guests. Nothing will ever be done because those tasked with implementing any restrictions are the ones abusing them.

43 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I would like nothing better than to spend time extolling the virtues of the Yacht Club and particular YC individuals deserving of praise, but must waste my time bringing to attention the abuse using the Yacht Club at the expense of paying guests. Nothing will ever be done because those tasked with implementing any restrictions are the ones abusing them.

Very good point. Hopefully the higher ups at MSC CRUISES will read this.

• Thanks 1

Well the ship got in at around 6 am to the Port of Miami, the luggage was off waiting for us in the Terminal C (same terminal we left from) and the ship cleared and we were off at 7 am. Porter brought luggage and loaded the car in the Garage C across the street (tip $90) $154 for one week parking at port. Had a great time, looking forward to doing this all over again. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2