Alaska on the Ovation - formal night?

We are excited for our first cruise to Alaska after multiple cancellations and postponements since 2019 (both personal and cruise line). We will be on Ovation at the end of July. Excursions are planned. Now onto what to wear. We will be layering for the large possibilities of temperatures. I still need to get a rain jacket. Is there a formal night on the 7 night Alakan trip? Preparing a little each month is a great stress reducer.

Thanks for the formal night info and any other advice you can give 3 Ohioins.

1 hour ago, LadyYadaYada said:

We are excited for our first cruise to Alaska after multiple cancellations and postponements since 2019 (both personal and cruise line). We will be on Ovation at the end of July. Excursions are planned. Now onto what to wear. We will be layering for the large possibilities of temperatures. I still need to get a rain jacket. Is there a formal night on the 7 night Alakan trip? Preparing a little each month is a great stress reducer.

Thanks for the formal night info and any other advice you can give 3 Ohioins.

There really is no formal nights any longer. You will see a range from a tux to shorts in the MDR and specialty restaurants. For Alaska, most people are in comfortable clothing,,, some flannels and tennis shoes. Very very very few get dressed up. 

Here was “Formal Night” at the main dining room on the Wonder of the Seas, flagship of the RCCL fleet

349E3B05-71F9-4246-898F-8FF5ED9125ED.png.127980a108239671b32c9b7cbde992b9.png
Bottom line is that no one expects you to get dressed up. Save space in you luggage. 

At the end of July, you may find that weather in your ports of call will be shorts and t-shirt weather. And at most, you may need an umbrella, but a rain jacket would be overkill. We cruise Alaska every year and often see people lugging around ski jackets in 75 degree weather (we're in shorts). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

We were on Ovation last July to Alaska. There were plenty of people who still dressed up - and there were two “formal” nights. We waited in line a long time at the photo ops with others who were wearing dressy clothing. So if you want to, you won’t be alone. Of course, plenty were casual,too.

It was also really cold when we were there - in July. Check the weather forecast before you pack.

• Like 3

Thank you. I have been doing my research and see the variety of temperatures. Packing various layers, but no parkas. Planning for high 40s to high 60s. I have also been made aware of the rain so taking a small portable umbrella and a rain jacket that folds very small. As for dress your best not planning on anything super formal. Dressing up can be a fun date night on ship for my husband and I, but we like to go with the vibe of the ship and culture.  Thanks!