Using PrePaid Master Card for onboard charges?

aimcat

3 hours ago, serene56 said:

no experience but was told it needs to be attached to a bank as they have no way to give you the remainder funds     I can not find this information on the celebrity web site 

Even a prepaid card is attached to a bank of some sort.  It may not be a B&M with a branch you can walk into and conduct busines like a regular bank, but for MC or Visa to allow a card to be issued, it has to be chartered in some fashion. 

Edited by NevadaCruiser2023

Because of how often they do authorizations during the week, you may need to have a balance large enough to cover double your onboard charges. What you might want to consider is use a regular credit card for those authorizations during the week but go to guest services the last night and use the prepaid card to settle the charges.

we did the same on a cruise a few years ago, it was fine except for the weird way they work the charges, so what happens is, they 'test' the card with a charge when you spend on board,,so that shows on your room telly, then they refund it, then after you've been home a week they charge the final total! it was very difficult to keep track as we went along but it all worked correct in the end. I did end up ringing celebrity to clarify what was going on so they explained the process. It's fine, just don't be surprised when it seems a lot of to and fro!

I've used a pre-paid travel card before with no problems. But do be warned that they will place holds on your card and it may take up to 2 weeks to be released. Last time I had about double the amount I actually spent, put on hold. Ended up being short for the rest of my holiday (Australian, and had my travel card loaded with US), I decided to never do it again.