Feeling A Little Self Concious ... ladies?

LLSullie

1) Bathing suit, pool side..................NOT

Things to be sure you do:

Smile, you are sailing the what is known as the friendliest ship in the entire Royal Caribbean fleet. The attitude just peremiates then entire crew.

Smile, you will be sailing with a ton of Texans, world wide reputation for being friendly.

Smile, you are on a really nice, no pressure, itinerary. Kick back, enjoy and the ehck with that darn bathing suit worry!

I'm a size 10, BUT with bad bruising from varicose veins, or as I call them "very close veins", I am also self conscious in my suit. I never wear shorts cause I'd still need to be in my supportive knee highs..........and that is a picture you don't wanna see.........That's why caribbean cruises and summer are difficult for me. I only look good in opaque tights, and as I see it, they are not in style right now. It's a b%$&h getting old............

~N (headed for the Pacific North West!)

Unfortunately for women, I don't think there's any woman out there, whether they're a size two or size twenty that likes going bathing suit shopping or loves the way they look in them. So as long as you go to find something that you feel comfortable in, just worry about that. The problem with comparing yourself to other women (which...I know...we all do anyway) is that we rarely think that the stick thin women that we're comparing ourselves to are self conscious too!

I'm a size 6/8 and I still don't like the way I look in a swimsuit because I have stretch marks on my legs. Unfortunately, they aren't going to go away so I've just found swimsuits that I feel comfortable in and I think that helps make me look better. We're all in the same boat (hehe...pun intended) no matter what size we are.

42 yr old single mom ... bit out of shape ...

As is the way, I am feeling a little uneasy about the .... "bathing suit"

Anyone know where I can get one that is "flattering"? :cool:

Check out the suits on Land's End and Junonia. They have some great choices for we "fluffy girls". I agree with the nice cover-up theory as well. I have a tie around the waist do-dad (long) as well as a long cotton knit tank dress for getting back and forth to the pool and sparing those around me to much exposure to my thighs.

It's a vacation, just go and enjoy. If someone else is judgemental, let it consume their vacation, I'm there to enjoy myself and have a good time!!

I know how ya feel... :)

After 2 kids, the old body just isn't what it used to be. LOL!

Anyhow, I got this suit from newport news last Summer and I love it!

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?gpcatID=6&pacatID=1995&subcatID=6769&catid=3777&superstyleID=216196&productindex=22&firstpagetypeid=&pageindex=12

And I see it's now on clearance so I'd better get myself another one before they're all gone. hahahaha! I wear it with board shorts. Hides the thunder thighs well and I don't feel as self conscious. :D

I really like the tankinis with the shorts. They are very comfortable and the shorts dry quickly so if you are in port and want to go shopping after swimming you look like you have a short set on and not a swimsuit. I usually get two tops to mix and match with the bottoms. I get the seperates because my top is much small than by bottom.

Laura

Most of the "gawkers" are going to be looking at two things: 1) The beach bimbo in the bikini that is held together by dental floss, or 2) The "ultra ultra fluffy" gal wearing the bikini held together by some dental floss.

I don't know you, but my guess you are probably like the majority of women...AVERAGE...so they are probably not going to be watching you.

Make sense? :)

Menina

Thanks for the thread ladies. I'm sailing in 9 days and was a little worried. I had every intention of losing those last 10 lbs by now, but don't think I'll be doing it in 9 days!:) I'm wearing my bikini and not worrying about it! If I see someone I know, they'll be dressed the same way I am. So, who cares? For me, it's the top of the suit that really matters. I can't really wear 1 pieces or tankinis because they just don't have much support in them. I wear triangle top bikinis from, believe it or not, Victoria's Secret. They only have one style that's big enough though! I have cellulite and a little pooch and it's just not that big a deal. I like the fluffy word. That's what I'm calling myself from now on. My last cruise had 2 21 year olds in thong bikinis. But, out of 2000 passengers, pretty good odds that most are going to be normal. Thanks again!

I am a 33 yo mother of two and my body type is curvey. I'm 34D and have got some 'junk in the trunk'. :p For me, my newest find is the mix and match two pieces (I shop Target mostly). I like the halter on top and a nice skirted bottom. Hides what needs hidden and for me, I feel comfortable walking around and bending over picking up kids. ;) I'm also a big fan of the cover ups and cabana pants.

Good luck!

i have also found that if i go to the tanning salon a few times before i leave that the cellulite is less noticeable!!

nancy

LOL that's what my sister and I always say. Tan fat looks better than pure white fat! I did buy a bikini, however, it is one of those that come up higher on the stomach. I'm also working out and going to Weight Watcher, so hopefully I won't look too bad, but If I do, oh well. It's my first cruise, my 10th anniversary, and I plan on having a fantastic time!

How come it seems that it is only us "ample sized" ladies that feel out of place in a bathing suit.

Absolutely not. I'm in good shape and I'm tall; I live on the beach and wear bathing suits almost 24/7 six months a year and I feel very self conscious in front of others in a bathing suit.

I've been working out regularly for over 10 years (I'm 40) lifting weights, teaching aerobics, tennis, golf, and I just finished my first marathon in November.

I know very few women who are happy with their bodies.

I love my boyshorts/ tankini top combo. It covers your buns nicely without making you look like you're wearing boxers. A tankini that meets the top of the shorts without the proverbial "muffin top" poking out is a great solution. They have TONS of them at Macys.!

If you're hippy or bigger on the bottom though, the tight boyshorts aren't a good look in my experience and only make you look bigger. I do like women's board shorts though because they're looser and much more attractive.

I love my boyshorts/ tankini top combo. It covers your buns nicely without making you look like you're wearing boxers. A tankini that meets the top of the shorts without the proverbial "muffin top" poking out is a great solution. They have TONS of them at Macys.!

The only people boyshorts are flattering on are those with long skinny legs and no hips. There is a reason they are called boyshorts.....

Thanks for the flames! Yikes. I stand by my opinion, I think they are flattering. Pair it with a tankini top. It's a whole lot better than seeing ooze and flub everywhere. I think it covers MORE than a one piece, especially in the *ss. ... Buy a size larger. At least try them, they're fun! I'm 5'4" and 149 lbs, not exactly skinny *or*leggy. At 41 with 2 kids later it's about all I can stomach to wear at the pool! (pardon the pun)

Thanks for the flames! Yikes. I stand by my opinion, I think they are flattering. Pair it with a tankini top. It's a whole lot better than seeing ooze and flub everywhere. I think it covers MORE than a one piece, especially in the *ss. ... Buy a size larger. At least try them, they're fun! I'm 5'4" and 149 lbs, not exactly skinny *or*leggy. At 41 with 2 kids later it's about all I can stomach to wear at the pool! (pardon the pun)

I don't know about anybody else but I did try them and even when I was 12 or 13 there were still not at all flattering because I have hips and thighs. More coverage is good but imo that can be acheived by a swim skirt or the looser styled board shorts. I think the problem with boy shorts is that if they cut your legs off at the wrong point and because they are tight, there's a definite line. That's great that you like them, but imo, they aren't the greatest thing for real size women to wear.

I don't know about anybody else but I did try them and even when I was 12 or 13 there were still not at all flattering because I have hips and thighs. More coverage is good but imo that can be acheived by a swim skirt or the looser styled board shorts. I think the problem with boy shorts is that if they cut your legs off at the wrong point and because they are tight, there's a definite line. That's great that you like them, but imo, they aren't the greatest thing for real size women to wear.

Um. Just because I'm not overweight doesn't mean I'm not """"REAL"....

No arguing about board shorts!! They are not worth it!!! :)

I started reading this thread yesterday and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it! What an absolutely positive group of people.

That's all...I just wanted to share!

Thanks!

Um. Just because I'm not overweight doesn't mean I'm not """"REAL"....

I'm not overweight either :) Just to clarify, real = not stick thin model.

Why are we even debating this? You like them. I don't. Let's agree to disagree. :D

I'm sorry if I offended you. I just wanted you to know that my opinion was based on personal experience.

No flames here either. In my experience, boy shorts cut you off at the widest part of your thigh giving the appearance of an even wider thigh.

I agree that boy shorts look AWFUL on me. But I ALSO said in my post that you'll never know what will look good on you until you try it. For me, I have never seen them look good on a woman that had hips or thighs. If you like them, by all means wear them! Obviously women out there like them, or they wouldn't be widely available. I'm just not one of those women. But to be fair, I also don't like string bikinis or halter tops because THOSE look awful on me too:rolleyes:

cruz44,

I ordered that suit from Blair. Do you remember how long it took for you to get it in the mail. We are leaving for Florida next Friday and I hope to get it before we go. It is a cute suit and cheap.

I just noticed that you live in Bourne. Big fire at Penners place this morning. I live in Sandwich. Small world here on the internet.

thanks for the lead on Blair

Archived