Make Cruising FUN for your Family by being Creative

Sthrngary

My adult children joined my wife and I on a 43 anniversary cruise.  It was November 2021, on the NCL Joy, the week after Thanksgiving.  We used all the Previous Cruise Credits, discounts for canceled cruises and money's spent to make it the best family vacation we had ever had.  The sun and the moon were in the right positions so we were able to sail in the "Once in a Lifetime" H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite with Large Balcony.  My daughters was bringing her partner and could not understand why I booked in this place called the NCL Haven.  

About six months before the cruise, I drafted a letter to my wife and children.  I am known here on CruiseCritic.com  for writing the Haven Butler Letter but this letter to my family was completely different.  I put NCL Haven Logos on the envelope and letter. I used my Lasor printer so it looked official.  I sent it to each of their residence acting like I was an important member of the Haven Pre-Cruise Staff.  I outlined all the benefits to the Haven careful to focus on aspects that each one of them would love.  For my daughter is was late night "Chicken Fingers" from room service.  My son it was cheese cake.  My wife is was coffee in the morning and select bottles of win on the Premium Plus Beverage Package at meal.  There was lots more.

It took them about a month to compare notes and realize "Dad" sent this letter.  Everything I wrote was correct and they only figured it out because my spelling and grammar was so bad.  Just like the way I write these posts, LOL.  This was a fun joke I played on my family and made the actual cruise that much more fun. 

Find a way to make your upcoming cruise FUN for your family before you go on it.  Many of us wait a year after booking and this is away to enjoy it prior to sailing.  Just an idea.  Please post some of the things you have done and let all focus on the pleasure of a cruising vacation. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 4

Gary, I love this idea, and I might have to try it in the future when our (now grown) children go with us on a cruise!

My addition to this list is super-simple, and perhaps not original, but one of the things I love about cruising. My DW and I went on a cruise earlier this year, and embarkation day was her birthday. So as part of my prep, I called the pre-cruise concierge and asked them to decorate our cabin for her birthday without telling her I was calling them. I know embarkation day is crazy-busy for the crew, so I made it clear in my request that if this wasn't possible, I would understand, but it would be great if they could do it.

Sure enough, when we walked into our cabin, it had a Happy Birthday banner and other decorations! It was a nice surprise for her. Then at dinner, the waitstaff sang Happy Birthday and brought her a birthday cake, and when we got back to our cabin, there was ANOTHER cake from the steward and our concierge! (In truth, the only cake she really wanted was the chocolate mousse cake from the Haven dining room - which she had.)

We ended up with way too much cake. But the real moral is that I don't know of any other way to travel where you can get this level of celebration for a birthday without A LOT of work.

Also, we left the decorations up all week in our cabin, and it gave the whole cruise a festive air!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wil e coyote said:

Gary, I love this idea, and I might have to try it in the future when our (now grown) children go with us on a cruise!

My addition to this list is super-simple, and perhaps not original, but one of the things I love about cruising. My DW and I went on a cruise earlier this year, and embarkation day was her birthday. So as part of my prep, I called the pre-cruise concierge and asked them to decorate our cabin for her birthday without telling her I was calling them. I know embarkation day is crazy-busy for the crew, so I made it clear in my request that if this wasn't possible, I would understand, but it would be great if they could do it.

Sure enough, when we walked into our cabin, it had a Happy Birthday banner and other decorations! It was a nice surprise for her. Then at dinner, the waitstaff sang Happy Birthday and brought her a birthday cake, and when we got back to our cabin, there was ANOTHER cake from the steward and our concierge! (In truth, the only cake she really wanted was the chocolate mousse cake from the Haven dining room - which she had.)

We ended up with way too much cake. But the real moral is that I don't know of any other way to travel where you can get this level of celebration for a birthday without A LOT of work.

Also, we left the decorations up all week in our cabin, and it gave the whole cruise a festive air!

@wil e coyote GREAT idea.  I have a suggestion though.  I used to love the Chocolate Mousse Cake in the Haven.  LOVED IT. Then they changed the recipe.  Looked the same but different.  I ordered a slice of Chocolate Cake at Cagney's and it looked different but was the same taste as the what I remembered in the Haven.  Just a thought.  

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@wil e coyote GREAT idea.  I have a suggestion though.  I used to love the Chocolate Mousse Cake in the Haven.  LOVED IT. Then they changed the recipe.  Looked the same but different.  I ordered a slice of Chocolate Cake at Cagney's and it looked different but was the same taste as the what I remembered in the Haven.  Just a thought.  

Gary - thanks for the info. Our experience with the Haven only goes back to January of 2022, so maybe we aren't familiar with what it used to be. We have tried the chocolate cake in Cagney's (just had some last month in fact), and my wife definitely prefers the Haven cake! Of course, everyone's tastes are his or her own - that is part of the fun.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

Gary - thanks for the info. Our experience with the Haven only goes back to January of 2022, so maybe we aren't familiar with what it used to be. We have tried the chocolate cake in Cagney's (just had some last month in fact), and my wife definitely prefers the Haven cake! Of course, everyone's tastes are his or her own - that is part of the fun.

Thanks.

@wil e coyote Isn't it great to have a choice?  Let me tell you what I really missed on my wife's last trip in December on the NCL Breakaway.  I was NOT in the Haven, so I could not get the Almond Croissants. Only available in the Haven.  I was so BUMMED. 

From one foodie to another, Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 12:12 PM, Sthrngary said:

I was NOT in the Haven, so I could not get the Almond Croissants. Only available in the Haven.  I was so BUMMED. 

Do you know if ships that do not have a Haven Restaurant serve the almond croissants in the alternative restaurants for suite guests? Going on the Gem soon and will be upset if there are no almond croissants! (Maybe I can snag you one lol)

Wonderful idea for a post. 

Taking photos of all of the amazing places we have visited then finding that "perfect shot", getting it professionally made into a glass photos and adding it to our "travel memory" wall at home makes the vacation fun for our family. We have chosen to live small but travel large so every memory is a treasure. 

21 countries, 23 states countries and counting...in the next 2 years will be visiting 12 more countries, 6 more states and a million memories. 

Plus - it's a week or two of family meals which we rarely can do at home. Phones off, no wi-fi, actualy human conversation...it's lovely. 

Warmest, Amy

5 hours ago, MsMaybelline said:

Do you know if ships that do not have a Haven Restaurant serve the almond croissants in the alternative restaurants for suite guests? Going on the Gem soon and will be upset if there are no almond croissants!

when i was on the gem last year, almond croissants were available during the haven and suite breakfasts served at moderno. they can be found in what is normally the moderno salad bar area, along with fruit, smoked salmon, cereal, breads and other pastries. (this is in addition to the standard haven menu.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MsMaybelline said:

Do you know if ships that do not have a Haven Restaurant serve the almond croissants in the alternative restaurants for suite guests? Going on the Gem soon and will be upset if there are no almond croissants! (Maybe I can snag you one lol)

@MsMaybelline Wow, that is one heck of a question.  No idea.  You have to report back when you cruise.  Good luck.

• Like 1