Alternatives for FCC / unable to secure travel insurance

bellevuemountain

Hi! Am looking for any tips / recommendations in regards to a FCC.  A little bit about myself - I love cruising.  I am platinum (not that it has any incidence, simply gives an idea of previous cruise history).

Long story short, I had to cancel a cruise planned for last October on doctor’s recommendation.  I was still in a good time frame to cancel (almost 3 months before).  I was issued FCC that will expire in 2023.

Here’s my current problem.  I unfortunately learned that I am unable to secure travel insurance.  I’ve tried for pre existing conditions insurance, I cannot demonstrate stability, and will be unable to for the foreseeable future.  I can understand any insurer’s point of view, it’s risk assessment.

Can I do anything about my FCC or should I simply forget about it? It’s about 1k.

I would love to go on a cruise, but not having travel insurance is irresponsible, I will not risk it.  I will read other’s live threads instead ☺️.

Thanks for any tips!

Have you checked into Allianz and Travel Guard? If you book within 2 weeks of your deposit, there is a waiver for preexisting conditions. I don’t know your exact situation, but when I have called about that part, I was under the impression that there weren’t exclusions to this as long as you book within the appropriate time frame. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broadwaybb said:

Have you checked into Allianz and Travel Guard? If you book within 2 weeks of your deposit, there is a waiver for preexisting conditions. I don’t know your exact situation, but when I have called about that part, I was under the impression that there weren’t exclusions to this as long as you book within the appropriate time frame. 

Thank you @Broadwaybb, I will! Exactly the info I was searching for.  Will let you know.

2 minutes ago, bellevuemountain said:

Thank you @Broadwaybb, I will! Exactly the info I was searching for.  Will let you know.

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet CC has a sub-forum for cruise/travel insurance.  Lots of great info to peruse that may apply to your situation.   Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bellevuemountain said:

@Broadwaybb thank you again.  I remain ineligible.  I made it to the quote amount, but the stability issue came back, with “some matters related to specific medical conditions even if they are stable”.6E0B549C-D8F8-4716-8318-69DE5DF714F4.thumb.jpeg.a9d7cd3f3382a8001475b2527d9c963a.jpeg

I'm not sure you are understanding the advice above.  The whole point is that when you purchase certain policies within a specified time after making your first trip deposit (usually 15-21 days), the pre-existing conditions provisions are WAIVED, they will not apply to you.

Please, speak to an expert about this.  E.g., call Steve Dasseos or his colleagues at TheTripInsuranceStore.com

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bellevuemountain said:

Hi! Am looking for any tips / recommendations in regards to a FCC.  A little bit about myself - I love cruising.  I am platinum (not that it has any incidence, simply gives an idea of previous cruise history).

Long story short, I had to cancel a cruise planned for last October on doctor’s recommendation.  I was still in a good time frame to cancel (almost 3 months before).  I was issued FCC that will expire in 2023.

Here’s my current problem.  I unfortunately learned that I am unable to secure travel insurance.  I’ve tried for pre existing conditions insurance, I cannot demonstrate stability, and will be unable to for the foreseeable future.  I can understand any insurer’s point of view, it’s risk assessment.

Can I do anything about my FCC or should I simply forget about it? It’s about 1k.

I would love to go on a cruise, but not having travel insurance is irresponsible, I will not risk it.  I will read other’s live threads instead ☺️.

Thanks for any tips!

"stability" ?

Are you perhaps not in the USA?

"Stability" isn't something that has tended to arise as a problem for policies here.

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

"stability" ?

"Stability" isn't something that has tended to arise as a problem for policies here.

GC

You may wish to review post #5.  Apparently, the insurance company excludes some coverage even if a medical condition is considered stable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

You may wish to review post #5.  Apparently, the insurance company excludes some coverage even if a medical condition is considered stable.

Please also see Turtles06 post.

At least with every policy we've had (and we have had some large claims paid with no problems), we get coverage that excludes *any* pre-existing medical conditions.  That's precisely why many of us get policies that waive any pre-existing condition exclusions.

(I suspect that an additional benefit is that claims based upon medical problems might be paid faster, as there is no need for the insurer to double check whether it was related to any pre-existing condition, but that's just a guess.)

The only thing, which I suppose could be considered at least temporarily a "stability" issue, would be that one must be "fit to travel" on the day the insurance is started.  If that's a problem. then as soon as one is okay to travel, then start the coverage.  DH was in this situation once, so the day his physician answered "yes" to my query, "Is he fit to travel today?" (probably adding, "finally!?), I had the physician write that down, dated and signed, and as soon as we got home, I made the reservation and started the insurance.

And if one is never fit to travel, well, the entire issue is moot.

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bellevuemountain said:

@Broadwaybb thank you again.  I remain ineligible.  I made it to the quote amount, but the stability issue came back, with “some matters related to specific medical conditions even if they are stable”.6E0B549C-D8F8-4716-8318-69DE5DF714F4.thumb.jpeg.a9d7cd3f3382a8001475b2527d9c963a.jpeg

This just doesn't look like very good insurance.  I would keep looking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EngrJones said:

This just doesn't look like very good insurance.  I would keep looking.

@EngrJonesthanks.  That is what I am doing.  Quebec rules seem specific, I even tried through the NCL insurance provider.  They do not cover my province.  I’ve tried all kinds of insurance providers for Quebec residents.  Refusals.  So my next logical question is “what are my options pertaining to the FCC if I am unable to be insured”.  I tried contacting NCL. I do want to travel, I am simply unable to get insurance to do so.

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

"stability" ?

GC

20 hours ago, LloydJr said:

My late wife had cancer and she went through a lot of treatments and surgeries so when we booked a couple cruises we got coverage with pre-existing conditions.  They way we understood it basically was as long as you were able to travel the day you booked you would be covered as the pre-existing coverage would kick in.  So before we booked a trip we always asked her doctor.  He would include it in my wife's medical notes that she was able to travel.  It didn't matter if she was going through treatments at that time, but say if she had just gone through say a major surgery and we booked that day and the doctor felt she was unable to travel if may not be covered.  

We had booked an Alaskan cruise back in 2014.  She was scheduled for surgery a couple weeks after we returned but had received her doctors approval to travel when we booked.  Unfortunately her condition worsened quicker then they expected and she needed emergency surgery due to her condition just over 3 weeks before our cruise.  We had taken out a pre-existing condition policy and had no issue getting it paid.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimsig said:

My late wife had cancer and she went through a lot of treatments and surgeries so when we booked a couple cruises we got coverage with pre-existing conditions.  They way we understood it basically was as long as you were able to travel the day you booked you would be covered as the pre-existing coverage would kick in.  So before we booked a trip we always asked her doctor.  He would include it in my wife's medical notes that she was able to travel.  It didn't matter if she was going through treatments at that time, but say if she had just gone through say a major surgery and we booked that day and the doctor felt she was unable to travel if may not be covered.  

We had booked an Alaskan cruise back in 2014.  She was scheduled for surgery a couple weeks after we returned but had received her doctors approval to travel when we booked.  Unfortunately her condition worsened quicker then they expected and she needed emergency surgery due to her condition just over 3 weeks before our cruise.  We had taken out a pre-existing condition policy and had no issue getting it paid.    

I am very sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Please also see Turtles06 post.

At least with every policy we've had (and we have had some large claims paid with no problems), we get coverage that excludes *any* pre-existing medical conditions.  That's precisely why many of us get policies that waive any pre-existing condition exclusions.

(I suspect that an additional benefit is that claims based upon medical problems might be paid faster, as there is no need for the insurer to double check whether it was related to any pre-existing condition, but that's just a guess.)

The only thing, which I suppose could be considered at least temporarily a "stability" issue, would be that one must be "fit to travel" on the day the insurance is started.  If that's a problem. then as soon as one is okay to travel, then start the coverage.  DH was in this situation once, so the day his physician answered "yes" to my query, "Is he fit to travel today?" (probably adding, "finally!?), I had the physician write that down, dated and signed, and as soon as we got home, I made the reservation and started the insurance.

And if one is never fit to travel, well, the entire issue is moot.

GC

@GeezerCouple thanks for all info.  I also tried on the insurance thread here on CC.  Mainstream travel insurance is not available for Quebec residents.  The rules for obtaining a full travel insurance for preexisting conditions in Quebec are full of exceptions.  You should see the form that needs to be filled out and signed by a doctor.  It almost makes the doctor liable, thus they are wary of signing it.  I will try again in a year.  But thanks! 

76E8DEE5-1DA7-458F-A41D-CF90A8D39CA8.jpeg

9 hours ago, bellevuemountain said:

Thanks everyone for the tips / answers.

I did receive an answer from NCL, I was pleased by it.  The FCC is transferable in the event that I am unable to secure a travel insurance before it’s expiration date.

Everything is good.

Glad it has worked out! While transferable, I believe the FCC retains its original expire date in 2023. You may already know that, but it wasn't clear to me from your post and wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

25 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Glad it has worked out! While transferable, I believe the FCC retains its original expire date in 2023. You may already know that, but it wasn't clear to me from your post and wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

@luv2kroooz Yes, I am aware of this.  I am disappointed to not be able to cruise because of insurance constraints in my province.   I am satisfied that it is transferable, good on NCL.  I can most surely gift some of my passion of the open sea to family / friends.  In exchange for a nice souvenir ☺️.

• Like 1