Regent Explorer Sydney to Bali Review

On 2/20/2023 at 7:01 PM, clelbonv said:

Thank you for the detailed review. We are scheduled for Sydney to Singapore  January 2024 and this was very helpful. I have been reading about the poor excursions that regent offers and have been planning on a few my own. Do you specifically have any ports that you suggest we skip the regent tours all together? Sounds like Cairns may be one of them. Also our cruise has two ports of call in Papa New Guinea so this is concerning regarding the poor quality of the tours and the safety of the area. Did not plan to do a private excursion. Would you recommend just walking around and not doing a Regent tour?

@clelbonv-- There is a roll call for our sailing here 

This is typically where those on the same sailing discuss excursions and plan private ones.  The latter is less likely on Regent due to the included excursions and on all lines post-COVID.

Come on over and join us!

On 2/21/2023 at 12:01 AM, clelbonv said:

Thank you for the detailed review. We are scheduled for Sydney to Singapore  January 2024 and this was very helpful. I have been reading about the poor excursions that regent offers and have been planning on a few my own. Do you specifically have any ports that you suggest we skip the regent tours all together? Sounds like Cairns may be one of them. Also our cruise has two ports of call in Papa New Guinea so this is concerning regarding the poor quality of the tours and the safety of the area. Did not plan to do a private excursion. Would you recommend just walking around and not doing a Regent tour?

Do not walk around Papua New Guinea on your own, it is very dangerous there, best not get off the ship

• Haha 1

Papua really shouldn't be a destination for cruise ships.   The best reason to go is during the Sing-Sing (September).  It's an absolutely incredible experience.   If you are a photographer, it should be on your bucket list!  

Our Regent excursion in Port Moresby  was a great experience and an opportunity to learn more about this fascinating country. It remains one of our highlights and I would not have missed it for the world.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

Our Regent excursion in Port Moresby  was a great experience and an opportunity to learn more about this fascinating country. It remains one of our highlights and I would not have missed it for the world.

Would you mind sharing which excursion it was?

1 hour ago, Wuzzle10 said:

Do not walk around Papua New Guinea on your own, it is very dangerous there, best not get off the ship

Rubbish - take a ships tour and you’re fine. It would be silly to travel to PNG and not get off the ship

We we’re there last month on another luxury line and visited Alotau, Wewak and Madang and enjoyed our visits to each of them 

• Like 1

@Tsunami74 I don't recall the exact title of the tour but see from the blog post I wrote that it was a "general highlights".  We had a great guide and travelled in a medium sized vehicle - no luxury for sure, but perfectly adequate, bearing in mind the local people had no transport that day because we were using all the buses.  It took me two blog posts to cover the fun we had - the second one is here  and I think our enjoyment is clear.  Hopefully there's enough detail in there for you to work out which itinerary covers similar ground.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:37 AM, loriva said:

@clelbonv-- There is a roll call for our sailing here 

This is typically where those on the same sailing discuss excursions and plan private ones.  The latter is less likely on Regent due to the included excursions and on all lines post-COVID.

Come on over and join us!

Thanks!! Will do 😃

15 hours ago, Gilly said:

@Tsunami74 I don't recall the exact title of the tour but see from the blog post I wrote that it was a "general highlights".  We had a great guide and travelled in a medium sized vehicle - no luxury for sure, but perfectly adequate, bearing in mind the local people had no transport that day because we were using all the buses.  It took me two blog posts to cover the fun we had - the second one is here  and I think our enjoyment is clear.  Hopefully there's enough detail in there for you to work out which itinerary covers similar ground.

Thank you

A very nice review. You seem like a positive outlook person.

• Thanks 1