NA Coastal vs. TA Passenger Mix?

Drysil

Hi folks --

We were previously scheduled to take our first Cunard cruise -- a Southampton to NYC TA -- in 2024, but a good price came up for the June 30 NYC - NYC sailing (with fireworks in Boston!), so we're taking our first voyage a bit earlier than expected.  We're both excited, but I'm wondering about the difference in passenger mix from a TA originating in the UK (where I would expect a larger proportion of European travellers) to a cruise wholly within North America (where that might be a good deal less true).  Should I expect different attitudes?  Less adherence to the dress code?  More 'American' (for good or ill) approaches to timeliness, incidental social interactions, and drinking?  

We obviously won't be changing our own approach to these topics (which I hope is largely inoffensive to our fellow travellers), but I wonder to what extent Cunard's more formal mythos prevails in all situations.  Thanks for the information! 

Your assessment of the possible differences reflects largely my experiences sailing QM2 T/A to New York and also Caribbean out of NYC.

Bear in mind though that each voyage is different and unique unto itself in passenger mix.

Also a number of people on your cruise out of NYC will have embarked earlier in Southampton.

• Like 1

I was just on the fireworks cruise this past year (2022), sailing out of NY.  We went to Bar Harbor--I think this upcoming year the cruise goes to Newport instead. Boston was a busy day of touring, and if you go up to the very highest deck of the QM2 you can see the fireworks live late at night.  When we arrived in Halifax we had a rainy and cool day, so it was a bit of a let down.

Everybody at our dining table (including us) dressed quite well on formal nights--tuxedos and gowns.  I would say about half of the passengers did not go all out in dressing from my perspective, but they all looked very nice and neat.  There were a number of Europeans and British who were doing the TA, and then just added on this cruise and then were going back TA again--I would say perhaps up to 20% or so were not U.S. citizens.

The Cunard environment was extremely British--little to no American impact or influence on the way the ship ran, the shows, the meal service, etc. Most Americans we met were extremely well traveled and appreciated that ambience. The passengers skewed middle age and older--there were very few children.  Every night we went to the ballroom dancing and then afterwards, the night club. We also made it to some of the shows and the planetarium show (seats are limited). 

All in all we had a wonderful time!

• Like 2

OP's prediction of the cruise guests conduct is right on.

The Independence Day segment will be mostly Americans taking advantage of a QM2 cruise that does not involve flights.

Cunard did a great celebration on deck on July 4th last years cruise .

Please excuse us and our American ways , during this segment.

I've done both a TA & The 4th July cruise w Cunard.

They do have a little bit of difference in that the TA is more relaxed & dressy...all the sea days give people time to really enjoy the ship & its activities with not having to rush for touring different ports. Also more time to enjoy cocktail hour & dressing formally for the evenings(the temps are also cooler usually).

The 4th 0f July cruise is a little more lively in that its a major holiday & the Fireworks are truly wonderful to see from the deck of a ship.  The first time I did the 4th cruise was on QE2 & the last one on QM.  I never saw people misbehaving like on a Carnivore Cruise & also it was more lively than a Holland America cruise.  nice mix of people enjoying the ship & all the activities.  The ports are easy to explore on your own or w a tour guide.

I like a TA instead of flying to & from Europe, dressing up & relaxing.  I've lived in NYC for close to 40 years & the 4th of July cruise was so easy - just a 10 minute cab ride to the ship and my holiday started. The only downside was the cruise was only 7 days.

Saying that putting the TA together w the 4th of July cruise is a wonderful idea.....just go & enjoy...the weather will be warmer in NY & Boston so you'll enjoy the outside areas of the ship.  

As far as dressing for dinner etc - most people who sail on CUNARD are aware of the dress codes & enjoy it....the others really aren't a concern.