LAX to Union Station in 3 hours?

JintyGirl

We’re spending a few days in San Diego before our cruise departs. Our international flight arrives on a Saturday at LAX Terminal B at 3pm. We have a train booked at 6:10pm from LA Union Station. Is 3 hours enough to collect luggage, clear the airport and take the flyaway bus to the train station? My husband uses a walking stick, and will be assisted at the airport (which usually speeds things up a bit), but I’m worried about the length of time it will take to travel to the station. Has anyone done this journey? Can you give any advice? Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

I never cleared customs before at LAX so I can't speak to that, but I will say the Flyaway is a great option. If you haven't already, check out the schedule. If you arrive at 3:00, and let's say it takes you an hour and a half to deplane, go through customs, and grab your bag, you should be able to make the 4:40pm bus. As a note, that 4:40 is when it gets to the first terminal at LAX and B is four terminals in, so it will probably get to you closer to 4:45-4:50ish, depending how many people they pick up. I've found the buses to be pretty consistent and clean, and the drivers will load your bag into the bottom storage of the bus and take it out for you. It usually takes 30-60 minutes to get to Union Station, which yes is a big gap but that's kind of how traffic is in LA. Weekend traffic is usually better so I think you'll be fine, and will probably get to Union Station around 5:30, which admittedly is cutting is close but is still doable. Are you taking Amtrak? You might want to look up what later trains there are, just in case. There is an Amtrak ticketing booth so if you do miss a train you can talk to a human and hopefully get everything sorted out (I assume, I admittedly haven't used Amtrak before).

Two things I would consider though. First, the bus is usually a motorcoach type, and has a set of stairs to get up it. If your husband has a walking stick, would he be able to take a large step from the curb to the bus, then be able to go up 3-4 stairs? It says here you can call and request a wheelchair accessible bus if you need it, but from my memory not every bus is accessible. Second, Union Station has a couple of different levels. From the bus plaza at street level you have to go downstairs to the pedestrian walkway, then back up to the train platform (map here). There are lots of ramps and elevators, but I just want you to be aware of this. Also, there are multiple platforms and sometimes you have to walk a bit from the bus plaza to the train platform. This might be hard if you are dragging heavy suitcases and with your husband and his walking stick, and especially if you are going up one of the steep ramps. Once again, this may all be fine, but thought I would let you know!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ChanaC said:

I never cleared customs before at LAX so I can't speak to that, but I will say the Flyaway is a great option. If you haven't already, check out the schedule. If you arrive at 3:00, and let's say it takes you an hour and a half to deplane, go through customs, and grab your bag, you should be able to make the 4:40pm bus. As a note, that 4:40 is when it gets to the first terminal at LAX and B is four terminals in, so it will probably get to you closer to 4:45-4:50ish, depending how many people they pick up. I've found the buses to be pretty consistent and clean, and the drivers will load your bag into the bottom storage of the bus and take it out for you. It usually takes 30-60 minutes to get to Union Station, which yes is a big gap but that's kind of how traffic is in LA. Weekend traffic is usually better so I think you'll be fine, and will probably get to Union Station around 5:30, which admittedly is cutting is close but is still doable. Are you taking Amtrak? You might want to look up what later trains there are, just in case. There is an Amtrak ticketing booth so if you do miss a train you can talk to a human and hopefully get everything sorted out (I assume, I admittedly haven't used Amtrak before).

Two things I would consider though. First, the bus is usually a motorcoach type, and has a set of stairs to get up it. If your husband has a walking stick, would he be able to take a large step from the curb to the bus, then be able to go up 3-4 stairs? It says here you can call and request a wheelchair accessible bus if you need it, but from my memory not every bus is accessible. Second, Union Station has a couple of different levels. From the bus plaza at street level you have to go downstairs to the pedestrian walkway, then back up to the train platform (map here). There are lots of ramps and elevators, but I just want you to be aware of this. Also, there are multiple platforms and sometimes you have to walk a bit from the bus plaza to the train platform. This might be hard if you are dragging heavy suitcases and with your husband and his walking stick, and especially if you are going up one of the steep ramps. Once again, this may all be fine, but thought I would let you know!

Thank you so much for this! Yes we’re using Amtrak. I’ll check out later trains - good tip. 
The steps for the bus should be fine and I’ll check out the station map. Thanks again 😊 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:28 PM, JintyGirl said:

We have a train booked at 6:10pm from LA Union Station. Is 3 hours enough to collect luggage, clear the airport and take the flyaway bus to the train station? My husband uses a walking stick, and will be assisted at the airport (which usually speeds things up a bit), but I’m worried about the length of time it will take to travel to the station. Has anyone done this journey? Can you give any advice?

Instead of all of these steps you could also just take a private car to San Diego and save yourself a ton of time and hassle (not to mention it might be a lot easier on your husband). 

We've taken an Uber from LAX to San Diego before and it costs between $160-180 USD for the base UberX option and takes just over 2 hours if there isn't much traffic. When you factor in the train cost, bus cost, hassle/cost of multiple transfers, and value of time it might line up fairly well. You'll get a huge chunk of your day back. 

• Like 3

If you do take Amtrak, book a business class ticket on the Pacific Surfliner.  That will give you access to the Lounge at Union Station—snacks, drinks, charging stations, clean bathrooms.  There is an elevator to the lounge.  Redcap service is available and you can be shuttled (golf cart) directly to the train.  They’ll take care of your luggage as well.

There is Redcap service at the station if you’re not in business class also. Just request it.  Otherwise it can be quite the trek to train!  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, disneyochem said:

If you do take Amtrak, book a business class ticket on the Pacific Surfliner.  That will give you access to the Lounge at Union Station—snacks, drinks, charging stations, clean bathrooms.  There is an elevator to the lounge.  Redcap service is available and you can be shuttled (golf cart) directly to the train.  They’ll take care of your luggage as well.

There is Redcap service at the station if you’re not in business class also. Just request it.  Otherwise it can be quite the trek to train!  

Thanks - we booked business class just to be sure of a seat. I didn’t know about the lounge and golf cart - that’s a bonus. 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:24 PM, princeton123211 said:

Instead of all of these steps you could also just take a private car to San Diego and save yourself a ton of time and hassle (not to mention it might be a lot easier on your husband). 

We've taken an Uber from LAX to San Diego before and it costs between $160-180 USD for the base UberX option and takes just over 2 hours if there isn't much traffic. When you factor in the train cost, bus cost, hassle/cost of multiple transfers, and value of time it might line up fairly well. You'll get a huge chunk of your day back. 

Thanks - I’m going to consider this. We’ve already booked Amtrak tickets, and I’m not sure if they’re refundable, but if they are this is definitely an option. 

5 hours ago, JintyGirl said:

Thanks - I’m going to consider this. We’ve already booked Amtrak tickets, and I’m not sure if they’re refundable, but if they are this is definitely an option.

In all likelihood they are unless you bought the very lowest cost restricted fares-- Amtrak tends to be very flexible. Taking the train for this trip is a very circuitous way to do it-- you can save a ton of time, energy, and hassle by taking a car. Southern California is built around the car-- not around mass public transit. 

• Like 2

Overall I think you should be okay.  I would just double check the actual day and see if any major events are happening in or near DTLA.  Beyond a bad accident (which you cannot predict), a major event in the middle of a Saturday can cause havoc to the freeway(s) that take you to Union station.  However a cab can take the tollway for one of the routes that should help a bit.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to keep checking the Amtrack Pacific Surfliner schedule.  They are doing maintenance on the tracks and there is a section closed during the weekday and on certain weekends so they transfer the passengers to a bus and then resume on the train.  Just an FYI.

You will love San Diego!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan G said:

For  customs it will speed things up if you download Mobile Passport ahead of time.  That way you answer questions online and you go to exclusive kiosks at LAX and you'll avoid lots of other people and much shorter time to get thru customs.  It's a free app

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

The OP is from Scotland and likely has a UK passport. Only those travelling on a US passport or a Canadian passport with a B1/B2 visa, are eligible to use the MPC app. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bonstersd said:

You may want to keep checking the Amtrack Pacific Surfliner schedule.  They are doing maintenance on the tracks and there is a section closed during the weekday and on certain weekends so they transfer the passengers to a bus and then resume on the train.  Just an FYI.

You will love San Diego!

Thanks - saw that. Following on Twitter now and got a calendar entry nearer the time to check. 

2 hours ago, Dan G said:

For  customs it will speed things up if you download Mobile Passport ahead of time.  That way you answer questions online and you go to exclusive kiosks at LAX and you'll avoid lots of other people and much shorter time to get thru customs.  It's a free app

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Thanks. I checked though and I’m not eligible 🥲

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone and thanks for all the advice. An update - both of the trains I had booked with Amtrak have been cancelled 😠

Uber it is!!

Greta Thunberg - if you’re reading this, I’m sorry, but I tried!! 

The upside is we will be at our hotel in San Diego a lot quicker and it will be a lot less stressful. 

• Haha 1

I have to give an update about using the Metro Lounge at Union Station.  Amtrak no longer allows business class travelers to visit the lounge as part of their fare.  It will cost you $25 pp to visit if you’re business class on the Pacific Surfliner.

(Sitting in the lounge right now.  Very nice Amtrak staff allowed us to use the lounge since we hadn’t heard about the change.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1