Uber to Galveston Port

bclay

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 1:40 PM, bclay said:

I've read that Uber can not go directly to the Galveston Port.  So where do they drop off/pick up?  Is it easily walkable with luggage?

I read somewhere here on CC that Lyft has some kind of contract with Galveston Port.

3 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

I read somewhere here on CC that Lyft has some kind of contract with Galveston Port.

Transportation Network Companies (TNC's) such as taxi's ride share, shuttles, etc. must pay a fee  enter the port through a contract.  Uber has not agreed so, legally, is not to enter the port.

Drop off would be on the south side of Harborside Dr.  Depending on which terminal, could be quite a walk.  Personally, I wouldn't.

18 minutes ago, slyster said:

Yes, Lyft has a contract and is willing to pay the terminal fees.  Uber is not.  Their pick up is a short walk across the street (I do not know where exactly)

I would like to know where Lyft drops off on embarkation. Two elderly folks dragging luggage a block from porters is not pretty.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:55 PM, Lorey2007 said:

I would like to know where Lyft drops off on embarkation. Two elderly folks dragging luggage a block from porters is not pretty.

my understanding is Lyft drops and picks up right there at the pier/cruise terminal

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, slyster said:

my understanding is Lyft drops and picks up right there at the pier/cruise terminal

Do you mean dropping right by the porters? On one of our cruises the uber driver dropped us about a half a block away from the porters I believe he didn't want to get in the traffic back up. We then had to drag our bags to the porter area.

Just now, Lorey2007 said:

Do you mean dropping right by the porters? On one of our cruises the uber driver dropped us about a half a block away from the porters I believe he didn't want to get in the traffic back up. We then had to drag our bags to the porter area.

Lyft drivers are able to drop off and pick up at cruise terminal.  So, yes, they pull in wherever pier workers direct them to drop off bags by the porters.

I do not know much about Uber, but I know for sure they cannot pick up at the terminal.  As for dropping off, your comment is in line with them not being able to drop off at the cruise terminal either.

6 minutes ago, slyster said:

Lyft drivers are able to drop off and pick up at cruise terminal.  So, yes, they pull in wherever pier workers direct them to drop off bags by the porters.

I do not know much about Uber, but I know for sure they cannot pick up at the terminal.  As for dropping off, your comment is in line with them not being able to drop off at the cruise terminal either.

Thank you I'll make a note to use Lyft if the hotel we stay at doesn't have a shuttle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having just completed my cruise last week, here is some more specific information.

We took Lyft to the terminal, and they drop off right at the terminal.  When we disembarked, the prices on both Lyft and Uber were extremely high.  So we walked out of Terminal 2, went about 1/4 of a mile straight out of the terminal (crossing one street) and joined about 100 other people sitting and waiting for rides. Relatively easy, even with luggage.   We then priced out both Lyft and Uber, and since we were willing to wait 45 minutes, the price to Hobby Airport was $50, versus $150-$200 if we were in a hurry.  Worked very well for us - but our plane was a little later in the day, so no hurry.  

• Thanks 1

I live in Galveston and can give some background.  Uber would not pay port of galveston fees which maintain rideshare waiting area parking lot.  Local paper just announced Uber has agreed to join the port of galveston and pay the fees.  Either way, my understanding is prior to this agreement Uber could drop off, but not pick up.

1 hour ago, MrMan said:

I live in Galveston and can give some background.  Uber would not pay port of galveston fees which maintain rideshare waiting area parking lot.  Local paper just announced Uber has agreed to join the port of galveston and pay the fees.  Either way, my understanding is prior to this agreement Uber could drop off, but not pick up.

Supposedly effective May 1 , but everyone is saying Uber is accessing premises now anyway .