Is Iona actually bunkering with LNG yet?

Advanced Diver

46 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought the toxicity came from the particulate level resulting in poor air quality for breathing. Presumably once it is in solution it no longer causes any problems to the air quality.

Reduces toxicity in the air, but if dumped in the sea, the acidic waste contains toxic substances from the stack’s dissolved in it,which can have a detrimental effect on marine life.

https://www.science.org/content/article/shipping-rule-cleans-air-dirties-water

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Reduces toxicity in the air, but if dumped in the sea, the acidic waste contains toxic substances from the stack’s dissolved in it,which can have a detrimental effect on marine life.

So the only real 100% answer to prevent pollution is to ban all cruise ships!

Edited by Yorkypete

2 hours ago, daiB said:

And all other ships as well.

The only ones not affected if you read the reports are ferries. It applies to ALL other  ships unless adapted. I believe ferrise are not restricted is because they are essential.

Edited by Yorkypete

I have read that Ferry companies are changing LNG powered vessels to be able to burn oil also,the LNG option obviously seemed a good idea at the planning stage but the Ukraine situation has changed things.

There is a long time between ordering & entering service,a changing World can make what seemed like a good idea look less attractive,ports looking to restrict passenger numbers must surely make building bigger ships a strange strategy too.

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

I have read that Ferry companies are changing LNG powered vessels to be able to burn oil also,the LNG option obviously seemed a good idea at the planning stage but the Ukraine situation has changed things.

There is a long time between ordering & entering service,a changing World can make what seemed like a good idea look less attractive,ports looking to restrict passenger numbers must surely make building bigger ships a strange strategy too.

I have said this all along. Large vessels like Iona and Arvia plus those from other firms cannot get in to some ports already. With the restrictions coming on Jan 1st 2025 and the restrictions on the number of ports available  it looks like cruises in future will be just that..cruises only. That is probably why some cruise ships are beginning to look like floating theme parks!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

I have said this all along. Large vessels like Iona and Arvia plus those from other firms cannot get in to some ports already. With the restrictions coming on Jan 1st 2025 and the restrictions on the number of ports available  it looks like cruises in future will be just that..cruises only. That is probably why some cruise ships are beginning to look like floating theme parks!

I was referring to cargo ships not passenger ships they must be all affected.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:48 PM, Snow Hill said:

That report is  not very specific, lots of "some scientists believe" type of quotes. From memory the solids from the sctubbers are discharged to tankers in port for safe handling, leaving the waste water with only very low level contamination, well within discharge limits.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That report is  not very specific, lots of "some scientists believe" type of quotes. From memory the solids from the sctubbers are discharged to tankers in port for safe handling, leaving the waste water with only very low level contamination, well within discharge limits.

I think the article said that in some cases the waste was extracted, but not all, but just goes to show protecting the environment can be a tricky game of unintended consequences. No simple answers.

• Like 2

As I understand it, the same engines can run using either fuel.

Southampton LNG bunkering has restarted however its still easier to arrange for it to happen at other ports if the itinerary allows hence why its usually marine oil bunkered in Southampton.

No point burning cleaner fuel if you have to make a polluting bunker ship travel half way around Europe to bring your the LNG.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, molecrochip said:

As I understand it, the same engines can run using either fuel.

Southampton LNG bunkering has restarted however its still easier to arrange for it to happen at other ports if the itinerary allows hence why its usually marine oil bunkered in Southampton.

No point burning cleaner fuel if you have to make a polluting bunker ship travel half way around Europe to bring your the LNG.

So how much of the time are Iona & Arvia actually using LNG as sole fuel to drive the ships?