Disembarkation in Athens

cjwags

13 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I’m sure you were aware of it, but Athens is not on the water.  The cruise ship terminal is in Piraeus, which is about an hour drive from Athens International Airport.

Correct and that hour to the airport can be longer if the port has heavy traffic. We get off our cruise in September in Piraeus and have a private car transport booked to take us to the airport for a 1pm flight to Santorini.

Edited by terrydtx

On 2/21/2023 at 10:17 PM, cjwags said:

We will be flying home from Athens after our Vista cruise in July.  We are in a concierge verandah and are planning on doing O Air.  What is the earliest departing flight that would be a reasonable choice? Disembarkation is listed at 8:00 am.  We are trying to have a game plan if the air from Oceania ends up not being a good choice, and we have to do our own air.   We will be doing custom air with deviation fee as we plan to fly in a week before the cruise. Thanks in advance!

I did not quote the correct posting, so here it is, again.

Athens is not on the water.  The cruise ship docks in Piraeus, which is 25 min from the city of Athens.  However, Athens International Airport is even farther than Athens.  Without traffic, drive from Port of Piraeus to Athens International Airport is about an hour.

Also, Athens International is a fairly large airport with relatively inefficient flow of people.  It’s not efficient like Zurich or Amsterdam.

You should factor in the time to disembark, time to find transportation to the airport, the actual drive to the airport, and the time to get to the gate when picking your flights.

Based on that a flight just after noon may or may not work.

Since I am not sure you have not been to Athens or Piraeus, I wanted to let you know of this fact.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure you are aware that disembarking the ship will be  prior to 9 am  usually they start  by 8 am... book a flight accordingly 

but as I said  after noon probably would  be fine   NOON would be pushing it

depends on your comfort level

Sorry!  I did not mean to reply to your post.  My post was in response to the OP, not you.