Port fee dropped: best call costumer service or wait once on the ship to have a refund?

Acrobatu2

As stated in the title: I just find out that the port fee for a cruise with the World Europa are down by 50-60%.

When I called the costumer care for make the final payment, last week, the operator saw two different prices (one 150 cheaper) but she couldn't figure out why. 

In the end I payed the higher price just for now realizing what really happened (the drop of port fee).

I'm asking, please. if somebody with experience in a similar case have the issue resolved and how.

What do you recommends? call back the costumer care, with the risk of rebooking with a more expensive overall price, or once onboard deal with the costumer desk an have maybe issue an onboard credit?

MSC changed the port tax on quite a few European sailings.  It affected a bunch of us.  You should have gotten a new booking confirmation via e-mail showing the adjusted amount.  If you had already paid the higher amount, your booking should show a credit.  How you get that back God only knows.

When something impacts the cruise fare, like a port tax change, the reservation is repriced at the current rate vs. the rate at the time of booking.  Make sure your cruise fare didn't get repriced higher than you were originally quoted.

Your best bet is to e-mail mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com to get your situation resolved. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, B_A_H said:

MSC changed the port tax on quite a few European sailings.  It affected a bunch of us.  You should have gotten a new booking confirmation via e-mail showing the adjusted amount.  If you had already paid the higher amount, your booking should show a credit.  How you get that back God only knows.

When something impacts the cruise fare, like a port tax change, the reservation is repriced at the current rate vs. the rate at the time of booking.  Make sure your cruise fare didn't get repriced higher than you were originally quoted.

Your best bet is to e-mail mscexistingreservations@msccruisesusa.com to get your situation resolved. 

Unfortunately my booking doesn't show a credit, actually show exactly the same amount in port fee and everything else, despite was rebooked the same day I did the final payment.

I just don't feel comfortable to reach MSC again and touch my booking before the sailing.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Did you book through the US website or is your booking through a European site?

Your booking terms are different and US passengers will not be able to help you.

I booked through the future cruise desk while on another cruise in the Caribbean, so I believe I used the US MSC terms.

As per my experience; if the port taxes lowers till your sailing date, from where you have paid, you'll get a refund some 5 to 6 weeks after your cruise to the credit card you use to link your account. Same goes in case for any reason ship is unable to call a port. Those are basically state and port administration fees. They should have given you the current price, and you're very lucky on this one because our EU "consumer protection act" runs highly on your favor. In case of doubt ask guest services for guidance onboard, please.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

As per my experience; if the port taxes lowers till your sailing date, from where you have paid, you'll get a refund some 5 to 6 weeks after your cruise to the credit card you use to link your account. Same goes in case for any reason ship is unable to call a port. Those are basically state and port administration fees. They should have given you the current price, and you're very lucky on this one because our EU "consumer protection act" runs highly on your favor. In case of doubt ask guest services for guidance onboard, please.

Thanks for the reply.

That will be great, and it makes sense, who knows if US costumers have the same protection rights.

When you book a cruise onboard it is assigned to the MSC office or travel agent where you booked the original cruise.  E.g. If you booked the Caribbean cruise with MSC in Italy then the Med cruise booked onboard will be with MSC in Italy.  I would assume the MSC office you called to make final payment is the country with the booking.

At least in Europe I don't think port fees are a 'thing' - I have never seen them separately shown on bookings and itinerary changes haven't results in more or less fees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

When you book a cruise onboard it is assigned to the MSC office or travel agent where you booked the original cruise.  E.g. If you booked the Caribbean cruise with MSC in Italy then the Med cruise booked onboard will be with MSC in Italy.  I would assume the MSC office you called to make final payment is the country with the booking.

At least in Europe I don't think port fees are a 'thing' - I have never seen them separately shown on bookings and itinerary changes haven't results in more or less fees.

Here in Europe, port taxes are dealt separately from the base price by the law of the land, even though for facilitation purposes they might to be part of the advertisement package offer. Unused or overpaid port taxes is money on the hands of the client, because the states didn't require that. Balancing thing may be a slow sort of thing, but they always ultimately do so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8420PR said:

unfortunately I booked the original cruise with MSC US, because I live in US now, so I guess I am stuck with the US office now, and I confirm that on the bookings the port fee are showed separately from the cruise fee. But you give me the idea to call directly the agent, she was a nice person, maybe she  'll help.

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Here in Europe, port taxes are dealt separately from the base price by the law of the land, even though for facilitation purposes they might to be part of the advertisement package offer. Unused or overpaid port taxes is money on the hands of the client, because the states didn't require that. Balancing thing may be a slow sort of thing, but they always ultimately do so.

Same in US, port fee are show separately.