Sailing with food allergies

kilili

Hi all,

I have a shellfish allergy, but I can eat (and really enjoy fish).  To my dismay, seeing some of the menus I see things like fish with cold water shrimp, or salmon with lobster cream.  It seem like plain fish (as in without shellfish, I don't mind sauces as long as they don't have shellfish) is hard to find.  My question is, can one order fish without the shellfish?  Safely? Any help appreciated so I can prepare.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kilili
Typo

Yes you can, absolutely. Princess is very good about supporting passengers with food allergies.

DW is celiac and can't have anything with wheat, barley, rye or spelt. Cross contamination is a problem for celiacs as well.

Because of this we try to have a standing reservation in one of the MDRs so we get the same wait-staff and headwaiter every time. It's not required but we believe it works better.

Each night, your headwaiter will bring you the menus for the next day and you can make special selections. They will prepare your selected dishes, minus your allergens, in a special area reserved for those with allergies. It's a great service. Often we find DW's food items are better than ours because of the special attention they receive!

In the buffet you can ask any of the staff behind the counters for the "Chef du Parti" (SP?). He or she will meet with you and show you which items in the buffet are safe for you.

Be sure to list your allergens on the personalizer or the Medallion Class app as well. This gives them a "heads up" so your record will be flagged in the MDR as well.

Edited by beg3yrs

I also have a shellfish allergy, the first night tell your waitstaff that you have an allergy & would like to speak with the headwaiter, they will help you find something safe to eat that night & as @beg3yrssaid will bring you menus for the next night. After the first night they can modify a meal to fit your need. It in our minds is easiest if you have the same waitstaff every night because they are excellent at remembering & looking out for you, but if not just tell them that you have pre ordered with the headwaiter. Princess has special kitchens for allergy meals. 

Frequent Princess cruiser (1:5 days last year) with life-threatening crustscean allergy here.  

There’s a spot in the personaliser to mark for shellfish allergy.  It’s remarkably effective in the MDRs and specialty restaurants - if I order something with scallops (fine for me, and delicious), it prompts nervous inquiries by multiple waitstaff and managers, at least the first time I do it with a given waiter.  Setting the allergen actually makes your photo blink or change border colour on their handhelds (can’t recall which).  

I routinely order dishes that usually have crustacean garnishes or components like the Asian seafood bowl and just ask that the shrimp be left off, or no sauce in the case of one of the fin fish that usually has a shellfish bisque plating. 

Something you might not know, and made me feel much more at ease - every hot dish on the menu is prepared at a completely isolated station during service - so if it’s steak and lobster  at station A, the chateaubriand at station B can’t get cross-contaminated at all.  Like, risk approaching zero.