Itinerary opinions? Alaska on Encore July 2024

Calicoskies1234

I’d appreciate any opinions on this in-process itinerary. First time to AK for our group of 6 60yr olds.  

Juneau 230-11pm

Whale Quest plus Orca Point Lodge w/dinner included (5.5hr) resv thru NCL, operated by Allen Marine

or

Jayleens Alaska small group whale tour (4hr) 

After both tours we would like to explore Juneau on foot to shop/snack and have dinner if we do Jayleens. 

Skagway 7am-815pm

Chilkoot Charters (booked direct not with NCL) 

730am Train up Bus back (4hr)

After tour we would explore Skagway on foot shop/lunch

Ketchikan via Ward Cove 7am-115pm

This port is causing me stress, it’s a short stop and we are at Ward Cove. We would really like to do Totem Bight SP or Saxman Park. Not sure of timing and transportation. I understand Saxman is very near to Ward Cove so that makes good sense. We also want to walk the town and Creek St, grab a snack. Not sure what time will be like after Saxman, I would need to grab the ship shuttle to town, 20-30min. Then allow for shuttle time back. Is it better to skip Saxman and just enjoy the town?

12 hours ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

Thanks for that rec, I’ll see what I can get planned in such a short port time. Prob just do Totem Bight since it’s close and not see the town, which makes me sad. Gives me a reason to return to AK.  

If I were stuck outside of town away from everywhere on a cruise port stop - that would give me a reason to never cruise on that line again.  Out of town and w a short port time is not a good situation for me.

DON

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dfilpus said:

In Ketchikan, Totem Bight is relatively close to Ward Cove, while Saxman is on the other side of town. 

I would hope that you could do Totem Bight and then Creek Street. Neither will take very long. 

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If I were stuck outside of town away from everywhere on a cruise port stop - that would give me a reason to never cruise on that line again.  Out of town and w a short port time is not a good situation for me.

DON

I agree this is a negative about NCL. It is bad enough they have a short stop but the fact that they are outside of town isn't good either.

Creek Street is very dead first thing in the morning. I have gotten some great pics at that time. The stores are closed at that time but it maybe worth heading that direction to see it and then go to Totem Bight closer to the ship after. Does NCL run a shuttle into Ketchikan?

There is really only one store I like on Creek Street. I think the cool thing about the area is just walking around and not the shopping. Though - shopping is best at Tongass Trading and they are often open early (a few blocks away from Creek Street). I am not a shopper but they have some cheap jackets, t-shirts, etc....

Edited by Coral

Just ‘ugh’ on having to port at Ward Cove!  We did that last year on the Jewel with a similar port time as your cruise.  

You will have to shuttle into town in order to get transportation to Totem Bight.  Very few if any Ubers and taxis will pick up at Ward Cove and getting to the bus stop is NOT pedestrian-friendly!  

Once in town, you can catch the public bus out to the park (think it’s the Silver line).  Bus is easy to catch and it drops you off right in front of the park.  

Alternatively, you might just want to stay in town.  Ketchikan is a very walkable town and there are a number of places you can visit—the Totem Heritage Center, Creek Street, etc.  Here’s a link to a walking tour of Ketchikan: https://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown_2016.pdf

Staying in town will also give you time to get a bite to eat and shop.  Our favorite place to eat is the Asylum Bar (great burgers) and Annabelle’s.  The NCL shuttle stop is right at the downtown ports.

3 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Just ‘ugh’ on having to port at Ward Cove!  We did that last year on the Jewel with a similar port time as your cruise.  

You will have to shuttle into town in order to get transportation to Totem Bight.  Very few if any Ubers and taxis will pick up at Ward Cove and getting to the bus stop is NOT pedestrian-friendly!  

Once in town, you can catch the public bus out to the park (think it’s the Silver line).  Bus is easy to catch and it drops you off right in front of the park.  

Alternatively, you might just want to stay in town.  Ketchikan is a very walkable town and there are a number of places you can visit—the Totem Heritage Center, Creek Street, etc.  Here’s a link to a walking tour of Ketchikan: https://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown_2016.pdf

Staying in town will also give you time to get a bite to eat and shop.  Our favorite place to eat is the Asylum Bar (great burgers) and Annabelle’s.  The NCL shuttle stop is right at the downtown ports.

I would never rely on the public buses in Ketchikan.  They run once an hour and are often running late.  Given the ridiculously short port time and distance from town I would take the ship's excursion.  It takes a fair amount of time to get 4000 people off the ship and onto shuttle buses, but the tour busses will have priority.  If I had a choice I'd do Saxman over Totem Bight.  

if you get to Creek Street check out the unique tee shirts at Soho Coho.  I had someone walk up to me in Australia, point at my shirt, and say "Ray Troll!" 

This Ward Dock is a serious problem on this itinerary given its distance from Ketchikan and the short time in port.   But another possibility for our OP is the Ketchikan Totem Heritage Center.  It is easily walkable from downtown.

And we are also fans of Annabelle's and try to dine there every time we are in Ketchikan.