South Pacific Cruise with Teenagers

3fazly

Hi, we are looking at options for a family cruise over Xmas to the South Pacific.  (family of 2 adults and two teenagers who will be 15 and 18 years at the time of travel.

The two cruises I have found over this time are both leaving Sydney:

1: Royal Princess - 13 nights to Fiji/New Caledonia

2. Royal Carribean - Brilliance of the Seas - 11 nights - Fiji and South Pacific.

We have previously cruised with Celebrity Solstice about 10 years ago which we loved. I am wondering what the main differences between these 2 ships might be and which one may have a better program of teens club & activities for our family. 

Also what are the additional costs we may encounter on board the different ships - ie: speciality dining/kids activities?

Many thanks

The only comment I can make is that alcohol for yourselves and your 18-y.o. are much cheaper on Princess than on RCL. On Princess you can take on bottles of wine (2 without charge) and pay AUD$15 corkage on any others. those with the corkage sticker can be taken to the dining room.

I can't comment on the kids club for your 15 year old.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

My teens loved all the cruises they've been on.  We haven't been on those specific ships but have done week + sailings on both Princess and Royal, they found much more to do on Royal.  

Neither were big users of teen club other than as a meeting point (and to play Xbox 🙄).

Again without knowing the exact details of your ships (or having the time to look up the respective websites) I would say overall Princess is more price inclusive than Royal, but there are still lots of activities on Royal which are free. 

• Like 1

We had the same choice to make.

My advice is if you are willing to spend $$$ go with Royal if you want something more price conscious go with Princess. Price out your rooms, speciality dining, drinks or packages etc. for us Royal was thousands more but it’s personal choice and depends on what you do onboard. If there was no difference in price I would go Royal. Princess is also AUD and it does make a difference and they have their plus or premier packages so look at that. It should be ok with Princess because it’s the school holidays so hopefully it will be a nice mix of people.

• Like 1

I’ve been on Princess recently with similar aged teens.  They have loved it and found plenty to do.  But it does not have water slides or any of the fancy activities.  Need to be 18 to use the gym but my 15yo did use it with her grandma.  Loved princess drink package for the eldest.  Cost very little for drinks for the youngest.  We had a mini suite and there was enough room for four of us.  In a balcony it would have been a bit cramped.They didn’t do any kids club activities.  Loved getting food at any time all over the ship for free.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3fazly said:

Hi, we are looking at options for a family cruise over Xmas to the South Pacific.  (family of 2 adults and two teenagers who will be 15 and 18 years at the time of travel.

The two cruises I have found over this time are both leaving Sydney:

1: Royal Princess - 13 nights to Fiji/New Caledonia

2. Royal Carribean - Brilliance of the Seas - 11 nights - Fiji and South Pacific.

We have previously cruised with Celebrity Solstice about 10 years ago which we loved. I am wondering what the main differences between these 2 ships might be and which one may have a better program of teens club & activities for our family. 

Also what are the additional costs we may encounter on board the different ships - ie: speciality dining/kids activities?

Many thanks

I know Ovation wasn’t in your choices but it has everything for all ages.

From a child care centre to circus classes to stage shows ,multiple bars and everything to bible groups.

33 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I know Ovation wasn’t in your choices but it has everything for all ages.

From a child care centre to circus classes to stage shows ,multiple bars and everything to bible groups.

We took our family on Celebrity at Christmas cruise prior to Covid and they had a lovely time,   Our next cruise on our own was on Ovation and we really thought it was more suitable for them.  We wished we had taken them on that one instead.

lots for kids to do.

Eileen

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2022cruisey said:

I’ve been on Princess recently with similar aged teens.  They have loved it and found plenty to do.  But it does not have water slides or any of the fancy activities.  Need to be 18 to use the gym but my 15yo did use it with her grandma.  Loved princess drink package for the eldest.  Cost very little for drinks for the youngest.  We had a mini suite and there was enough room for four of us.  In a balcony it would have been a bit cramped.They didn’t do any kids club activities.  Loved getting food at any time all over the ship for free.

Thanks everyone the comments are all really helpful, particularly from those who have cruised with teens on these 2 lines. I need to go and do a bit more research on the extras/drinks/dining/packages.

Thanks for the suggestions re: Ovation - unfortunately not travelling over the dates we have leave.

• Like 1