Passport stamps in Thailand from Singapore

compman9

I hope someone can help with this.

We are sailing from Singapore to Malaysia (Penang) and Thailand (Phuket), can anyone tell me if immigration collects passports on board to stamp?

The reason I ask is because DW needs two clear pages for the end of our trip (otherwise she won't be allowed in a Schengen country), and she's fast running out.

1 hour ago, compman9 said:

I hope someone can help with this.

We are sailing from Singapore to Malaysia (Penang) and Thailand (Phuket), can anyone tell me if immigration collects passports on board to stamp?

The reason I ask is because DW needs two clear pages for the end of our trip (otherwise she won't be allowed in a Schengen country), and she's fast running out.

When we last sailed in Southeast Asia by large cruise ship (Princess, January 2020), our passports were collected and we did get some stamps. In January of this year, we were on a river cruise in Vietnam and Cambodia, and also received passport stamps. I'm not sure if it's the same in England, but in the US you can send your passport in and have pages added - if you have the time, this might be a thought.

And in other interesting news, before we joined the river cruise in Vietnam and Cambodia, we started the trip with 2 weeks in Thailand. When we arrived in Bangkok airport, we were given quite a bit of grief from the Immigration officer for 3 stamps in each of our passports that he did not like. They were not legal country entry stamps, but the souvenier type stamps you can get sometimes (Charles Darwin Research Center in Galapagos, Ecuador with a turtle; Gateway to Antarctica, Ushuaia, Argentina, with a penguin; and Antarctica, with an iceberg). We endured a stern lecture on not having anything put in the passport that was not official as it invalidates the passport, and so on. We apologised, and were let through. He was quite gruff. We chalked it up to him having a bad day, because we've been to more than 110 countries and no one has ever even mentioned this. Also, surprised at how quickly he found all 3 of them, given our passports are each 51 pages and pretty stamped up. Oh well, we got in, but we will not be getting anymore "fun" stamps in the future.

13 hours ago, terry&mike said:

When we last sailed in Southeast Asia by large cruise ship (Princess, January 2020), our passports were collected and we did get some stamps. In January of this year, we were on a river cruise in Vietnam and Cambodia, and also received passport stamps. I'm not sure if it's the same in England, but in the US you can send your passport in and have pages added - if you have the time, this might be a thought.

And in other interesting news, before we joined the river cruise in Vietnam and Cambodia, we started the trip with 2 weeks in Thailand. When we arrived in Bangkok airport, we were given quite a bit of grief from the Immigration officer for 3 stamps in each of our passports that he did not like. They were not legal country entry stamps, but the souvenier type stamps you can get sometimes (Charles Darwin Research Center in Galapagos, Ecuador with a turtle; Gateway to Antarctica, Ushuaia, Argentina, with a penguin; and Antarctica, with an iceberg). We endured a stern lecture on not having anything put in the passport that was not official as it invalidates the passport, and so on. We apologised, and were let through. He was quite gruff. We chalked it up to him having a bad day, because we've been to more than 110 countries and no one has ever even mentioned this. Also, surprised at how quickly he found all 3 of them, given our passports are each 51 pages and pretty stamped up. Oh well, we got in, but we will not be getting anymore "fun" stamps in the future.

Very grateful for the reply. Unfortunately, my query is fairly specific about Thailand because I have just spent 30 days there and I know there are rules about multi entry, etc. 

• Like 1