Chinese Food in Vancouver

Gregrat

2 hours ago, Gregrat said:

Looking for a Chinese Restaurant within walking distance of the Pan Pacific Hotel at the cruise terminal.

Gave some suggestions already for further-away-but-still-in-Vancouver Chinese dining on your more general thread.

Depending how far you're happy to walk from the PP there's a branch of Peaceful a little under a half-mile away on Dunsmuir; Asian Heritage Eatery is a bit closer - I can't speak to the downtown branch directly, but I've enjoyed delivery food from their Broadway location several times since Covid started; ChongQing has been a reliable Szechuan spot for many years, although downtown branch did get a bit wobbly on consistency during Covid times I'd still risk a visit; Dinesty on Robson is just over a mile, but if you're a fan of sitting down to a huge array of dumplings well worth the walk. Kirin has a downtown branch on Alberni, 3/4 mile, that's your best bet for a fancy dim sum meal walking from the PP.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic ....Still food related 🙂

Seafood in Vancouver .... recommendations that are not pub / happy hour / fun related? Just a nice relaxing seafood restaurant ... there seem to be a couple near Canada Place. Rileys is one that springs to mind. Comments appreciated.

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

... Just a nice relaxing seafood restaurant ...

While there's a ton of seafood in Vancouver, straight-up 'seafood primary' menus with a more casual, chillaxed vibe are hard to find - swanky places easy, and cheap almost-all-fried spots likewise, but in-between is much trickier. If the vibe is most important I'd choose a more general resto, or even better a pub if you only need a few fishy items to be happy - Tap & Barrel have a pretty reliable kitchen and as long as you order a drink now & again no hassle to vacate the inside tables at least. Rogue in Waterfront Station has some lovely nooks here and there, so you can find some really quiet areas - and they've got a very broad menu.

But if the seafood focus is the important thing, the closest likely match for your requested menu and vibe I can think of downtown near Canada Place is Chewie's Steam & Oyster Bar - great happy hour, a nice high ceiling so while it is a bit noisy it stays more 'background buzz' than 'shout across the table' levels, and while it's in the name they do have plenty other items than oysters.

I've never been a huge oyster fan personally, but if you are then either of the Rodney's branches are reliable for the food and definitely casual - but the vibe runs more toward frenetic than relaxed. Oyster Express in Chinatown isn't on tourist radar, or even most locals', so it tends to run a lot quieter than Rodneys - a very tight menu (grilled cheese, wings, otherwise it's pretty much all shellfish) though, so unless you're pretty much all about the oysters...

Blue Water Cafe remains about the best in town for cooked seafood and probably the best Western spot for their raw selections; but it's far from cheap, and while the service is excellent the general vibe runs a bit snooty - more the other patrons than the staff, there's no actual dress code but most folks dress up.

If you don't mind getting out of the core, The Fish Counter in Mount Pleasant might be just the place - it's very much a local crowd rather than packed with tourists so it's not hard to get a table even in summer; definitely casual and relaxed - they're more of a fishmonger that cooks than a resto in philosophy. Menu is never wide, very seasonal, but they know their fish right from who hooked it all the way down the chain to your plate - if you want to chat about seafood this is where I'd send you before anywhere else in the city.

Lastly, and indirectly, reviews from folks I know well enough to trust their tastes align closely enough with my own, Hook Seabar might work for you - a bit of a hike from Canada Place, but there's lots of reasons to be down in English Bay anyway.