Viking Neptune, 121 day from L.A to London.

izzy6510

In reviewing what Viking has to offer guests traveling on 121 day Neptune ship:

It looks like Visa serves are paid for by Viking and it also looks like free luggage shipment from home to ship is also included.

Business air, transfers to and from airport are included if you book Viking air and free wifi and silver beverage pkg. and gratuities.

This is my first solo world cruise with Viking.  For those of you seasoned Viking world cruise travelers can you tell me if I am understanding the 

the promotions correctly.  Also does everyone bring at least 4 passport photos and have at least 5 blank pages free for visa use?????  Thank You Maggie.

21 hours ago, izzy6510 said:

It looks like Visa serves are paid for by Viking and it also looks like free luggage shipment from home to ship is also included.

Business air, transfers to and from airport are included if you book Viking air and free wifi and silver beverage pkg. and gratuities.

This is my first solo world cruise with Viking.  For those of you seasoned Viking world cruise travelers can you tell me if I am understanding the 

the promotions correctly.  Also does everyone bring at least 4 passport photos and have at least 5 blank pages free for visa use?????  Thank You Maggie.

Without knowing your country of residence, I can't provide a definitive answer.

In North America, Viking World Cruise benefits normally include:

- Business/First flights: The domestic portion to LA will be First or Business depending on the airline. Air Canada has proper business class on the Vancouver - LAX flights, but many US airlines have First/Business that are minimal improvement over cattle class. Purchasing Air Plus can help get your preferred airline. For the return flight you would get a trans-atlantic business flight.

- Visas: some Visas are provided by the ship, upon arrival - Jordan and Egypt are often examples of this arrangement. Viking use Generation Visa in Washington DC for acquiring Visas. If you are a US citizen, they can normally provide all required Visas. If Canadian, some embassies refuse to provide Visas to non-US citizens - China is an example. For China, we had to acquire our own Visas, but Viking re-imbursed us with OBC, when we submitted receipts for the Visas and reasonable travel costs. When using GenVisa, you complete forms, then send your passports to them.

- Luggage shipping: Viking contract with Luggage Forward to ship 1 - 50 lb case from home to the ship. You can ship additional cases at your cost. You can also ship cases home, at your cost.

- Transfers: only included if you fly in/out on the day of embarkation/disembarkation

- Wifi: Included on all Viking cruises

- Gratuities: Included

- Silver Spirits: Included

Please check your pax statement carefully, as these benefits are all noted on the statement. You will also have the OBC you will receive.

Lots of information is available on the roll calls for previous World Cruises. Check out the 4 roll calls on Viking Sun (2018, 2019, Ultimate and 2020), the Viking Star (2021/22), and the current ship Viking Neptune. I note the current World Cruise roll call has over 8,600 posts.  

• Like 1

Thank You for clarifying info on the promotions.  I live in Hawaii and I am. US.citizen.  I would like to ship a 50lb bag to the ship.  I am working with a travel agent who is helping me but is it normal for Viking to not want to answer question if I call them directly because I am working with an agent???  I am paying a 37,000 single supplement fee and feel like Viking does not have time to assist me.  

My agent recommends that I fly in 1-2 day early to L.A.  Viking has a 2 day pre cruise for 899.00

which seems like a lot for two hotel nights, 2 breakfast and a tour on the way to the ship.  If I go early and get my own hotel, I also have to find my own way to the ship.  Does Viking still pay for air if I fly in a couple days early and do not do there pre cruise?  What do most people do, it seems like it is too risky to fly in the same day the ship leaves.

Thank You for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Maggie

15 minutes ago, izzy6510 said:

Thank You for clarifying info on the promotions.  I live in Hawaii and I am. US.citizen.  I would like to ship a 50lb bag to the ship.  I am working with a travel agent who is helping me but is it normal for Viking to not want to answer question if I call them directly because I am working with an agent???  I am paying a 37,000 single supplement fee and feel like Viking does not have time to assist me.  

My agent recommends that I fly in 1-2 day early to L.A.  Viking has a 2 day pre cruise for 899.00

which seems like a lot for two hotel nights, 2 breakfast and a tour on the way to the ship.  If I go early and get my own hotel, I also have to find my own way to the ship.  Does Viking still pay for air if I fly in a couple days early and do not do there pre cruise?  What do most people do, it seems like it is too risky to fly in the same day the ship leaves.

Thank You for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Maggie

When you book a cruise with a TA, they are Viking's customer and you are the TA's customer, so it is normal for all communications to only be conducted via the TA. Note 1 - when I use our TA, I normally make a provisional booking then hand it over to my TA to confirm and make the deposit. In this circumstance I have found Viking may converse with me directly, but they should not make any changes to the booking, without them coming from the TA. Note 2 - some agents will use their discretion and get into gray areas.

Viking's pre-cruise extension is really expensive. You can book the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree for significantly less money. Yes, you need to arrange your own transit from LAX to San Pedro, but that is easy. We booked an Uber Black, which picked us up outside arrivals and cost about $100. A regular Uber is cheaper, but you have to lug bags to the taxi/bus zone, catching one of the LAX buses. The Crowne Plaza is downtown with lots of restaurants nearby and is about equidistant from both potential berths. The Doubletree is by the outer harbour adjacent to the alternative berth.

Affirmative, if you arrive early, Viking still pays the air, but charges a deviation fee. You could request your TA to negotiate removal of this fee. Might be possible, might not, but no harm in asking. Check the roll calls of previous cruises for potential arguments.

We arrived 2-days early, stayed at the Crowne Plaza and met a number of our fellow pax, who we had met on the cruise critic roll call.

• Like 1

Double check with your TA about Luggage Forward and air from Hawaii.  On an earlier World Cruise, a Hawaiian passenger told us the rules and services are different for those in Hawaii and Alaska.  The Crowne Plaza was close to the port and in a good area.  We booked a transfer from Expedia for a bit over $50 with pickup right at the door. The next morning we walked to the ship as we had only one carry-on and beautiful weather.  Andy arranged for Viking to do a free transfer from the hotel to the port.  The hotel was supposed to tell him that we walked but forgot.  Sorry, Andy.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 5:40 PM, izzy6510 said:

FWIW, check out this WC promo on the Viking Sky: