Kuaui self guided tour in rental car

CaptJerry51

Ship is scheduled in Nawiliwili port from 8:00AM to 6:00 PM - 10 hours, figure maybe 7 hours available for driving with 3 hours set aside to pick up rental car at airport and return with additional safety time margin for not getting left behind by the ship.

Never been to Kauai before and may not again.  I want to see the major sights.  And this is the one island I have never been to before and most want to see.

I have looked at the Tours by Locals options but I prefer to do it on my own.

That means a drive to Waimea Canyon with perhaps some associated stops along the way and then reverse course back through Lihue to get up to the North Shore.  Although it looks like it may be doable given the distances, I don't know what the roads are like and what average speeds are.  It will be on a Thursday.

I don't plan to stop and swim on a beach or go snorkeling.  Just stop and see the major sights without dawdling, a little more than a drive by.

Is this doable?  Anybody have experience at this to know firsthand?

If it isn't, I will just concentrate on Waimea Canyon and the other sights in that area.  But I would like to see the North Shore too.

Okay, assuming you are in your rental car...

• It's about an hour from Nawiliwili Harbor to Hanalei Beach on the North Shore, in the Princeville area, and an hour back (pure drive time).
  • Waimea Canyon is a little over an hour each way from Nawiliwili Harbor.  Add in Poipu Beach on the South Shore and you can add another 30 minutes (one way, again pure drive time).

So, if you wish to drive to the approximate middle of the North Shore and view a gorgeous bay, then drive to Waimea Canyon, with a stop at Poipu Beach, you're looking at 4.5 hours of drive time, giving you 2.5 hours of visit time.  Yes, the drive is pretty.

I think you have to pick between North and South. I'd take South.

You take the Kaumualii Hwy south towards Koloa/Poipu. My first stop would be in Old Koloa Town after having gone through the Tree Tunnel. Koloa Town is part of the old sugar cane plantation that dominated the area. From Old Koloa I'd go to the Spouting Horn.

After Spouting Horn, continue south to Hanapepe. For me, highlights of Hanapepe are the Hanapepe Swinging Bridge, Talk Story Bookstore and Bobbie's Okazuya. From Hanapepe, continue into the town of Waimea. Ishihara Market in Waimea has the best poke on the island.

From there, head through Waimea Canyon, stopping at overlooks, to Kōkeʻe Lodge. This is where you'd turn around.

On the way back, stop at The Right Slice in Kalaheo for the best pie on Kauai. Last stop is Lihue Airport to return the car. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/2EpuffWw72nsnN8G7

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

You take the Kaumualii Hwy south towards Koloa/Poipu. My first stop would be in Old Koloa Town after having gone through the Tree Tunnel. Koloa Town is part of the old sugar cane plantation that dominated the area. From Old Koloa I'd go to the Spouting Horn.

After Spouting Horn, continue south to Hanapepe. For me, highlights of Hanapepe are the Hanapepe Swinging Bridge, Talk Story Bookstore and Bobbie's Okazuya. From Hanapepe, continue into the town of Waimea. Ishihara Market in Waimea has the best poke on the island.

From there, head through Waimea Canyon, stopping at overlooks, to Kōkeʻe Lodge. This is where you'd turn around.

On the way back, stop at The Right Slice in Kalaheo for the best pie on Kauai. Last stop is Lihue Airport to return the car. See the map below.

That was amazing.. you made your own map. I need to learn how to do that! 

Thanks, scottca075.  Your reply is exactly the kind of detail I was hoping for.  And the gps track was a big bonus!

I think I will follow your route for the south and see if we end up with enough time after returning to Lihue to see if we can do a quick up and back to the North Shore.  If not, I am sure we will be more than delighted with the route you proposed.

• Like 1

you might want to have an alternative to Waimea canyon if it is rainy...I was really looking forward to it but this is what we saw in January of last year2022-01-1010_52_54.thumb.jpg.5c3483d2d9b0530b3089e0606e7d8451.jpg

literally nothing but fog/clouds to be seen looking down/across the canyon...it was rainy everywhere that day but the rest of the tour was still worthwhile, I just think if it had been with a car not a pre paid tour we would have enjoyed something else with that chunk of time...

• Like 1

LOL. We make it a habit to NEVER stay aboard a ship when you only have one day in port.

And, no, it can be cloudy up at Waimea Canyon while it's beautiful in other areas of the island.  The South shores of most of the islands tend to get a lot less rain than the mountains.  The clouds often get stuck on the mountains and rain.  The worst you might on the South Shore when it's raining in the mountains is typically a little "pineapple juice" carried South by the trade winds.

Of course you can have a bad weather system that covers the entire island.  I'm just saying don't let the clouds in the mountains keep you from shore activities.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 7:35 PM, CaribbeanBound said:

Really good point about the rain.  Agree it is not worth going to Waimea Canyon if raining or deeply cloud covered, as you won't be able to see anything.  When clear, it is GORGEOUS!

Is there a good weather app that will advise of the very specific weather conditions? I plan to rent a car so I will have optimal flexibility.

1 hour ago, mary_228 said:

Is there a good weather app that will advise of the very specific weather conditions? I plan to rent a car so I will have optimal flexibility.

I am a frequent visitor to Hawaii on business so I have the KITV (ABC) and KHON2 (CBS) apps on my phone. They are great local channels with the best weather, because each island gets different weather and different parts of each island have different weather patterns.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2023 at 4:55 PM, scottca075 said:

How long would you say this drive takes?  I'd like to do something similar, but add in a few stops in Waimea canyon and one hike.

3 hours ago, theloo said:

How long would you say this drive takes?  I'd like to do something similar, but add in a few stops in Waimea canyon and one hike.

The actual drive to Waimea via Koloa, the Spouting Horn and Hanapepe is probably 90 minutes, maybe more, but the itinerary I laid out would be 4 - 5 hours or more, depending on how much time you spend at each stop.

You have to leave lots of time to get back to the airport and shuttle back to the ship.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, scottca075 said:

I'm in exactly the same situation as @CaptJerry51. As this will be our first visit to Kauai and we intend to rent a car, your post is most helpful. I do have one question, however, on your suggested turnaround point at Kōkeʻe Lodge. A few websites I've looked at suggest continuing on a bit further, to the Pu’u O Kila Lookout, as the view from there is quite magnificent. I'm wondering if you suggest the earlier turnaround to avoid paying an entrance fee for Kōke'e State Park, or if there's some other reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'm in exactly the same situation as @CaptJerry51. As this will be our first visit to Kauai and we intend to rent a car, your post is most helpful. I do have one question, however, on your suggested turnaround point at Kōkeʻe Lodge. A few websites I've looked at suggest continuing on a bit further, to the Pu’u O Kila Lookout, as the view from there is quite magnificent. I'm wondering if you suggest the earlier turnaround to avoid paying an entrance fee for Kōke'e State Park, or if there's some other reason.

No reason, it is just a good place to turn around.

When we lived in Lihue we would typically take our visitors on a tour up to Waimea canyon, and Kalalau lookout.  From Lihue we’d head west on Kaumualii highway and make a stop just past Kalaheo at Kauai coffee. It’s a great spot to sample Kauai grown coffee, and hit the bathroom. Next, we’d go to Waimea and head up 550 and drive all the way to the end without stopping until the Kalalau valley overlook (Puu O Kila lookout). We found it’s usually less cloudy earlier in the day, thus the beeline to the top. We’d then head back down the canyon and stop at the various lookouts. On the way down we’d go right on Kokee Rd which goes to Kekaha. Once back at Kaumualii Hwy go right to check out Kekaha beach. Turn around whenever you want, then head back east towards Lihue. We personally rarely stopped in Hanapepe, but you could if you want, On the way back, time permitting, you could drive down 520 (the tree tunnel) to Koloa, and possibly Spouting Horn. Once back to Kaumualii Hwy go right, and then right on Kipu Rd, then a left on Hulemaulu Rd. Follow that all the way back to the port while stopping to see Menehune fish pond. 

A nice alternative is a south side beach day and hike. Poipu beach has life guards, good snorkeling, and more often than not monk seals. A really nice hike along a rocky coastline is near the Hyatt at Shipwreck beach in Poipu. Just follow any trail near the cliff and go as far as you like. We avoided the beach there especially in the summer due to the rough water. 

Edited by tra5925
Removed verbiage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1