Cunard does formal mean jacket every night?

lilacsam

28 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

On one QM2 transAtlantic crossing, men entered the dining room wearing a jacket but were not stopped from removing the jacket and placing it on the back of the chair. 

Well I should hope not!  In warm weather cruising last year the QE dining room AC struggled even on late sitting- most men removed their jackets 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

On one QM2 transAtlantic crossing, men entered the dining room wearing a jacket but were not stopped from removing the jacket and placing it on the back of the chair. 

I admit it was a while ago ( pre covid ) but one evening when onboard Queen Victoria while having pre dinner drinks in the Queens Room a gentleman, who was dancing, removed his jacket and rested it on the back of his chair, a senior officer came over, smiling he removed the jacket from the chair and told him what a lovely jacket it was, then saying to him that he was sure it would look much better on him rather than on the back of the chair, this was while he was holding the jacket up for him to insert his arms into, the man smiled and obliged. Alas i think those times have now gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

I admit it was a while ago ( pre covid ) but one evening when onboard Queen Victoria while having pre dinner drinks in the Queens Room a gentleman, who was dancing, removed his jacket and rested it on the back of his chair, a senior officer came over, smiling he removed the jacket from the chair and told him what a lovely jacket it was, then saying to him that he was sure it would look much better on him rather than on the back of the chair, this was while he was holding the jacket up for him to insert his arms into, the man smiled and obliged. Alas i think those times have now gone.

Unless it was a dance jacket  -which are cut so that they look very badly fitting when a man has his arms down ie not raised in ballroom hold with elbow at almost 90 degrees to the side of the body - you actually can't dance properly with a jacket on.  When you see ballroom dancers competing wearing tails or jackets - you will also see them only put them on when they are on the floor - otherwise they are horribly uncomfortable and horrible to look at . Thats why many dancers will wear a waistcoat to dance socially 

6 hours ago, lissie said:

Unless it was a dance jacket  -which are cut so that they look very badly fitting when a man has his arms down ie not raised in ballroom hold with elbow at almost 90 degrees to the side of the body - you actually can't dance properly with a jacket on.  When you see ballroom dancers competing wearing tails or jackets - you will also see them only put them on when they are on the floor - otherwise they are horribly uncomfortable and horrible to look at . Thats why many dancers will wear a waistcoat to dance socially 

Interesting. That might be why pre and post Covid, from my elevated deck three position, I have watched quite a few 'waistcoats' dancing, occupied waistcoats obviously. I just assumed the wearers were hot, and without wishing to denigrate, that's temperature hot!  🙂

• Like 1