Jewelry and cruising

packedandready

How many of you take your nice jewelry with you? Several, several years ago I bought a plain gold wedding band to use mainly for travel. That way I didn't worry about my "good" ring.

My last cruise I took nice pieces because I felt more dressed for dinner. But, that is just something more to keep track of. Just curious as to what others do.

I leave my good jewellery in the bank! I don't wear my wedding or engagement ring...so if anyone doesn't believe we are married...(31 years)...well, not much we can do about it! Years ago, it was our "in joke", but today...it is so common for non-marrieds to travel together that our joke is stale!!!!

I have my "travel" jewellery, which works out fine. If I am lucky, I get something new (and really good!!!) on the trip, so I can wear that.

When on vacation, I want above all to have fun and relax and not worry about anything....including my jewellery.

I do the same...have bought lots of 'sale' stuff on cruise ships over the years and that's my bag of jewels for cruises. No one seems to notice and I'm a lot more comfortable than worrying about putting it in the safe or losing something on an excursion or in the water if we're in the Carib. Even the stars wear fake jewels when traveling, so look at me, I'm a star ;)

How many of you take your nice jewelry with you? Several, several years ago I bought a plain gold wedding band to use mainly for travel. That way I didn't worry about my "good" ring.

My last cruise I took nice pieces because I felt more dressed for dinner. But, that is just something more to keep track of. Just curious as to what others do.

Why don't people take their actual wedding band and engagement ring? Personallly, I leave those two rings on all the time so there wouldn't be a need to store in the ship's safe?

Is there a reason why someone shouldn't take their wedding and engagement rings?

I never considered leaving those pieces at home but do plan tol keep all other expensive pieces at home though.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Dancermom5

Why don't people take their actual wedding band and engagement ring? Personallly, I leave those two rings on all the time so there wouldn't be a need to store in the ship's safe?

Is there a reason why someone shouldn't take their wedding and engagement rings?

I never considered leaving those pieces at home but do plan tol keep all other expensive pieces at home though.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Dancermom5

Hi Dancermom :)

I also wear my wedding band and engagement ring at all times, and keep my other expensive jewelry at home.

What expensive jewelry? I spend my money on cruises.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

Michelle, I got your back on that one:)

Some of us don't own expensive jewelery...and some of us

don't have engagement rings and wedding bands either!

I have always taken my jewelry on cruises and have never had a problem. It's part of my wardrobe, I enjoy wearing it and it's all insured. I do, however, avoid wearing anything other than the basics when we go ashore.

I love my jewelry and always take whatever is going to coordinate with my wardrobe. :)

I have gone through the mind games of something getting lost or damaged and once in a while something has, but I do insure.

I remember something my grandma told me when she gave me her good silver as a wedding gift, "please don't save this for just the "good" times, use it and enjoy it and think of me." So I try to use this same idea for other things in life-" what am I saving it for?"

Of course, if I am doing something like snorkling where jewelry can get damaged/lost easily, it stays in the safe.

I always take my good jewelery with me but common sense helps a lot. I spend a lot of time at the beach and in the water so no I do not take my rings with me. One I don't want them to come off and two I don't want the fish thinking it is something tasty! Even the fish like bling :D . I also don't wear anything flashy on shore where I have more on my body then the locals make in a life time. (Sorry but my husband is very generous) I do enjoy wearing it on board. It is insured but I am extremely careful about properly stowing my items when they are not with me.

One more detail you may not know about buying jewelery on board the ship - It will guarantee the day of disembarkation a visit to the customs officer! This is the only way they can keep track of taxable bling so... is the price really better now???

Eleris,

I'm not quite sure I understand how making an onboard purchase of jewelry guarantees a visit to customs upon disembarkation. Are you saying with certainty that the cruiseline turns over a list of those people who make duty-free purchases on the ship to customs upon arrival back in the US?

Though not much, I've bought a couple of jewelry items on ships and have never been stopped by customs. In fact, even when I've made sizeable jewelry purchases in port, we've never been stopped or questioned. It's only been those times when we've purchased nothing (either onboard or in port) and our customs card says $0 that we've been questioned!

I just wear my wedding band. I save the things I love to wear at home. I once had a robbery in the house.:eek: A lot of jewellery that had a sentimental value were taken.:( Insurance can't replace that. I still miss those pieces. So I just take fabulous costume jewellery:D

Thanks everyone for all your input. I can agree with just about every response, that's why I'm debating. Leave home and not worry or take with me and enjoy:confused: .

Sky Sweet.....The reason I consider leaving my wedding and engagment ring at home is because we usually never travel anywhere that we don't beach, snorkel or do other water activities. I'm a VERY cold natured person and when my hands get cold in the water my fingers SHRINK and my ring becomes loose. Don't want to take any chances.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I can agree with just about every response, that's why I'm debating. Leave home and not worry or take with me and enjoy:confused: .

Sky Sweet.....The reason I consider leaving my wedding and engagment ring at home is because we usually never travel anywhere that we don't beach, snorkel or do other water activities. I'm a VERY cold natured person and when my hands get cold in the water my fingers SHRINK and my ring becomes loose. Don't want to take any chances.

Hi packedandready :)

That is understandable. If I participated in active water activities, I wouldn't want to risk losing my rings either :)

I guess I am the odd one out - I never wear my wedding ring unless I am going out. I hate to wear any jewelry even a watch at home. I am retired and almost always home. So going on a cruise is the only time I have a chance to wear all the wonderful jewelry my DH has given me over the years most of which was bought while cruising.

So when I wear a ring or something bought on a cruise I have a chance to remember that cruise. This has become part of every cruise - finding a piece of jewelry to remember the cruise.

Everything is insured once we get it home so I do not worry about loss except for the loss of a memory.

So my answer is yes I take my jewelry along on a cruise, but I do not wear my wedding ring or jewely when we go on shore excursions or to beach/pool.

Francine

My DH and I honeymooned in Europe, I left my 'bling' at home in a safe deposit box, and just wore a simple gold band.

Travelling like we did, it made me feel very comfortable that way.

In January we went on a cruise, I took everything I wanted to wear, including my 'bling', but I didn't wear it on the islands.

I actually was surprised at how many woman did. Big flashy stuff.

I think I was carefull w/o being paranoid.

Lysolqn: If you spend a lot of $$ in the duty free shops on board, they will call you on the last morning and remind you that you must go to customs for the duty. I am not sure how much you need to spend in order for that to occur, but when we were paying our duty after the 2/9 sailing of the Spirit, there was a gentleman in front of us on line who told us that indeed the ship personnel do call you on the last morning....that was why he was on line, he had gotten the call. I think he said he spent $5,000 on jewelery on board.

My DH and I honeymooned in Europe, I left my 'bling' at home in a safe deposit box, and just wore a simple gold band.

Travelling like we did, it made me feel very comfortable that way.

In January we went on a cruise, I took everything I wanted to wear, including my 'bling', but I didn't wear it on the islands.

I actually was surprised at how many woman did. Big flashy stuff.

I think I was carefull w/o being paranoid.

I completely understand. That's what I did our last cruise. One of the times we were in Hawaii (noncruise) I remember reading a newpaper ad for a company that did underwater metal detecting. There primary jobs were looking for "lost" jewelry. Don't want that to happen.

I always wear my engagement ring/wedding set as it holds very special meaning to me regarding my marriage. Yes, there are times I remove it, either because I am doing something that will risk damaging it or make it filthy, but that is generally short term and only a couple times a month. I love my set--it reminds me of so many wonderful things--including my DH! :p My insurance coverage to be honest, probably is not enough. :rolleyes: oh well.

I don't have a lot of bling but I've never thought about not bringing it on a cruise. I feel that the safe is secure even though there are those "horror" stories. I like to wear what I have but I don't go overboard. I don't wear any rings at the beach (I lost my class ring catching a ball a long time ago). I will wear a necklace and maybe a bracelet at the beach. I understand everyone's point, I'm just offering mine.

I don't know about your insurance policies, but ours has a limited $$ for jewellery. Only my engagement ring and wedding band are "itemized". That means they are covered for replacement value...and the charge for that is hefty.Still, I leave them in the bank when I travel, because I would be so sad to lose them. To be truthful (and tell the WHOLE story!) I leave them in the bank all summer because a) my fingers swell in the heat and b) I do more outdoor activities and don't want to wear them.

I have seen women wearing BLING (even DOUBLE BLING!!!) jewellery at the pool and I think it looks ridiculous (sorry, if any readers are guilty!!)

Bottom line...we each have to do what is comfortable for us.

Last year, we took a cruise followed by attending a formal wedding. I still didn't take my jewellery. I didn't want the responsibility! I was on vacation!! That's just me. I don't expect anyone else to feel the same.

Archived