Anyone visit Barcelo recently? Impossible to get chairs on the beach?

Sarahg0915

I can’t speak to the Barcelo, but at the Riu where we had a day pass they sure did.  We got there at 9 and every beach chair had a folded towel on it. Since there were so many, we thought it was an amenity they provided.  Well at 11am a couple arrived at our chairs and demanded that we move because they put their towel out at 6:30am to reserve the chairs.  We refused to love and they called security. Security was able to find them other chairs. It certainly did not make for an enjoyable day.  Those chair hogs make cruise chair hogs look like amateurs. 

Sheesh! I believe it. I'm reading that people staying at Barcelo get up at 3, 4, 5 in the morning to save chairs. Just ridiculous. It's a shame, the hotel looks like a beautiful place to spend the day. But if I'm paying $90+ for a day pass, I'd like a chair!

1 hour ago, Sarahg0915 said:

Sheesh! I believe it. I'm reading that people staying at Barcelo get up at 3, 4, 5 in the morning to save chairs. Just ridiculous. It's a shame, the hotel looks like a beautiful place to spend the day. But if I'm paying $90+ for a day pass, I'd like a chair!

I second that Sara....im looking for a place too, might have something at Eagle beach

@Welly9 I've reached out to almost every hotel on Eagle and Palm Beach about day passes, happy to share what they offer when I hear back. 

I was thinking of renting chairs and having lunch at the Amsterdam Manor but would really like a place where my kids can hop in the pool. No answer from them so far about that... 

19 minutes ago, Sarahg0915 said:

@Welly9 I've reached out to almost every hotel on Eagle and Palm Beach about day passes, happy to share what they offer when I hear back. 

I was thinking of renting chairs and having lunch at the Amsterdam Manor but would really like a place where my kids can hop in the pool. No answer from them so far about that... 

ya pool i snice, beach is suppose to be nice, we are on a cruise, there March 23rd, you guys??

im in discussion with a guy on Eagle, I know 'a guy' lol, who has loungers and umbrellas, and we can use the beach bar next door for washrooms, shower, food, drinks...i need to confirm with 'the guy' lol on a few things still

I noticed this posted on the website of one of the sites that sells passes for Barcelo...

BLACKOUT/UNAVAILABLE DATES: Jan 20 – March 31 and April 1 – 7
We are unable to take any more bookings for the Blackout Dates above. DO NOTBOOK THOSE DATES

On 2/28/2023 at 4:15 PM, Sarahg0915 said:

From Amsterdam Manor: 

We offer beach chairs, bar and umbrellas located on the beach at the Passions beach bar.

Umbrellas are first come first serve basis due to the beach being public.

For renting beach chairs are $15 or $10 USD dollars per chair.

We also have restrooms on the beach located close to the bar.

Pool is not accessible for non-hotel guests.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 9:45 AM, dcbiker97 said:

I can’t speak to the Barcelo, but at the Riu where we had a day pass they sure did.  We got there at 9 and every beach chair had a folded towel on it. Since there were so many, we thought it was an amenity they provided.  Well at 11am a couple arrived at our chairs and demanded that we move because they put their towel out at 6:30am to reserve the chairs.  We refused to love and they called security. Security was able to find them other chairs. It certainly did not make for an enjoyable day.  Those chair hogs make cruise chair hogs look like amateurs. 

I have a day pass for RIU, did you just take a cab from the port? How much was it?  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking into day passes for August 2023 cruise. 2 Riu properties offer them & Barcelo, which we used a number of years ago. I’m reading here issues with getting beach chairs. Not only do we need chairs but an umbrella or palapa in a must for me. I am a melanoma (skin cancer) patient. Thoughts or suggestions from those that have been to Aruba recently & got passes or other? Thanks for any help! 

I reached out to almost every hotel, and the only one besides Riu and Barcelo that said they offer a day pass was Casa Del Mar, and they require you to sit through a short timeshare presentation. They were willing to reserve in advance, I chatted with them via email. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 4:37 PM, Welly9 said:

ya pool i snice, beach is suppose to be nice, we are on a cruise, there March 23rd, you guys??

im in discussion with a guy on Eagle, I know 'a guy' lol, who has loungers and umbrellas, and we can use the beach bar next door for washrooms, shower, food, drinks...i need to confirm with 'the guy' lol on a few things still

Please share your guy - we are travelling with a 14 month old and need the shade

On 5/9/2023 at 7:24 PM, jonsmom said:

Please share your guy - we are travelling with a 14 month old and need the shade

You know what, I forgot as I ended up changing spots and went to Amsterdam Manor, but walked the beach and there are places all along the beach, he was left further up if looking out to the water.

sorry just got back from our Hawaii cruise!

Good luck

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, Welly9 said:

You know what, I forgot as I ended up changing spots and went to Amsterdam Manor, but walked the beach and there are places all along the beach, he was left further up if looking out to the water.

sorry just got back from our Hawaii cruise!

Good luck

That's what everyone does including myself twice. I ended up "changing spots and went to Amsterdam Manor" on 2 separate occasions.

Did the Barcelo and the OLD Radisson (which was never a Radisson it was too much of a POS to ever be a Radisson). 

Bought a day pass at the Radisson got kicked out of my beach chair 3 times.

Grabbed my backpack did not tell anyone with the group I was with I was leaving. Walked right out to the bus stop 10 minute wait, 8 minutes later I was sitting on Eagle Beach having cocktails with my own lawn chair eating a grilled chicken panini sandwich with goat cheese having the time of my life.

This is coming from someone who's done countless day passes all over everywhere (really). Day passes on Aruba for whatever reason "are different" there's ALWAYS a catch, it's ALWAYS SOMETHING. 

Take the city bus to Eagle Beach rent you and yours your OWN palapa and chairs, walk up to bar buy you a drink walk out to the awesome beach and have real fun with real people. Mostly Venezuelans. 

I don't know who's kidding who this is the best ticket on Aruba. 

Day passes on Aruba are a thing of the past for me. Everything I want and need is on Eagle Beach without any nonsense. 

Day pass on Aruba good luck 

Eagle Beach go have fun with everyone else. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...