Does anyone know what is going in the Shorex Department?

betsey

Recently the shore excursions listed for my cruise this summer got updated, and not for the better. Some of the tour prices went up by a lot. Some tours got added, but there is only a title and a price, no photo, no description. In once case the even the name of the destination is misspelled. The prices for some of these mystery tours are outrageous! For example, in Edinburgh, there is a shore tour to the Royal Brittania Yacht, where it says it is walking distance from the ship, but no other description, the cost is $199!  For what, I have no idea?   I've planned and operated shore tours for a cruise line in the past, I'm thinking about applying for a job there!! Does anyone from Azamara read these posts anymore?  

• Like 2

All I can say is $199 is an outrageous price unless there is much more added to the tour 

It is absolutely correct Britannia is adjacent to where the ship docks (though  you have to walk round a longer route to get there it’s about a 10 minute walk through a shopping mall. 
It will cost you £18.50 (c$20) to visit and you get all the guide information for that price. 
It’s so easy to DIY but in the summer you do need to book ahead. I’ve put the link below. 
Maybe they are also adding in afternoon tea at the Fingal for the price. It’s nice but overpriced if anyone wants a good afternoon tea about 10 minutes walk on from Britannia just ask and I’ll post a link to a fabulous family run place but again one you need to book 

https://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/visit/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxvGfBhB-EiwAMPakqq6P6iSh4_ykQKekiz5KF9tOPfFjuriWnPEP1Xr_d0I7UMlL4X5vGBoC2fgQAvD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

It’s so easy to DIY but in the summer you do need to book ahead.

I spoke to the Royal Yacht Britannia Marketing Manager a few weeks ago.  Although they encourage folk to buy a ticket in advance, nobody will be turned away if they haven't.  At the very busiest of times, you might be asked to wait up to 15 minutes for a 'bulge' in numbers to go through.

[And I agree absolutely that $199 is utterly overpriced.]

I went years ago and waited to I paid and walked on her.I loved the audio as I could stay as long as I wanted in each space. 

I would say a ten minute walk in the wind,Then several minutes more thru mall. I stayed several hours Abd I loved it.

3 hours ago, uktog said:

All I can say is $199 is an outrageous price unless there is much more added to the tour 

It is absolutely correct Britannia is adjacent to where the ship docks (though  you have to walk round a longer route to get there it’s about a 10 minute walk through a shopping mall. 
It will cost you £18.50 (c$20) to visit and you get all the guide information for that price. 
It’s so easy to DIY but in the summer you do need to book ahead. I’ve put the link below. 
Maybe they are also adding in afternoon tea at the Fingal for the price. It’s nice but overpriced if anyone wants a good afternoon tea about 10 minutes walk on from Britannia just ask and I’ll post a link to a fabulous family run place but again one you need to book 

https://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/visit/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxvGfBhB-EiwAMPakqq6P6iSh4_ykQKekiz5KF9tOPfFjuriWnPEP1Xr_d0I7UMlL4X5vGBoC2fgQAvD_BwE

Great advice! Certainly easily walkable, but the mall experience can hardly be thought to create an ideal atmosphere for approaching such  a storied vessel,

11 minutes ago, nordski said:

Great advice! Certainly easily walkable, but the mall experience can hardly be thought to create an ideal atmosphere for approaching such  a storied vessel,

Absolutely and dare I tell you I am not sure when you were there but the mall is even worse now, Marks and Spencers have closed now and other retailers are pulling out.  It is very depressing, attaching Britannia experience to a Mall was a good idea..... and they attracted two large flagship stores (BHS and Debenhams) for either end of the Mall, both have now failed and so the footfall has dropped and the other shops have left.  Currently the biggest occupant by square footage in the retail space is the NHS Vaccination Centre.  

Very sad and something commented in local Press a lot.

• Thanks 1

Very sad ! As an American seeing by a mall was bad enough then I was force to walk thru the mall to go on history that I grew up with. I do wish the Queen had more choice where her yacht ended up. Not a good end for a piece of history.

Edinburgh is very proud to have the Yacht and will address the issue again in terms of the surrounding area.  The Queen wanted the Yacht to be in Edinburgh and so her wishes were absolutely fulfilled.  She also commented that she thought integrating it somewhere that people were going to day by day was excellent.  Unfortunately, times have changed and now, almost 30 years on, the Mall itself needs help.  But that will come.  There were not exactly a huge number of suitable places the Yacht could be safely berthed in Edinburgh and inside the lock at Leith was the perfect solution.  But it was a living, working area hence the link to shopping centre.

Actually although it is empty of many of the stores that used to be there, and therefore a depressing shopping experience, it is a real community hub with shop units being used as Warm Spaces, for community groups, and there is a Ukrainian Centre in one unit.  I think the Queen would approve!

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Edinburgh is very proud to have the Yacht and will address the issue again in terms of the surrounding area.  The Queen wanted the Yacht to be in Edinburgh and so her wishes were absolutely fulfilled.  She also commented that she thought integrating it somewhere that people were going to day by day was excellent.  Unfortunately, times have changed and now, almost 30 years on, the Mall itself needs help.  But that will come.  There were not exactly a huge number of suitable places the Yacht could be safely berthed in Edinburgh and inside the lock at Leith was the perfect solution.  But it was a living, working area hence the link to shopping centre.

Actually although it is empty of many of the stores that used to be there, and therefore a depressing shopping experience, it is a real community hub with shop units being used as Warm Spaces, for community groups, and there is a Ukrainian Centre in one unit.  I think the Queen would approve!

Then we will be optimistic that HMY Britannia eventually receives the approach/setting that she deserves.

We only visited her because of a “free” afternoon and did not expect to be so moved by the sense of history and the era that she represents.

Whenever The Crown portrays a scene on board, we are reminded of our reaction.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, uktog said:

Would love your info on the tea room! Thanks.

Here is the place for afternoon tea

https://mimisbakehouse.com/locations/leith/

They also have a place on the Royal Mile but it has limited seating.  I know you can book Leith and I would recommend you do, need to check what the position is re Royal Mile.  If you can find the City Art centre when you are in town if you are having a days sightseeing - its below the Royal Mile towards Princes Street that is also a good stop for a coffee and cake.

They are a genuine family business with the next generation, now in their mid 30s taking Mum and her ideas to places she never imagined.  (My sons school friend married one of the daughters, he loved the wedding reception - they had a cake fest)

• Like 1

Interesting to know the information that the Queen had so much input. I just did not understand going thru the mall to get on. I just wish a different way. Never been to a piece of history thru a mall.

Also I was in that limited group that had dinner on board. They could not sell tickets..expensive..but the thrill of being there both on a day tour then for dinner was great.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 5:56 PM, uktog said:

Here is the place for afternoon tea

https://mimisbakehouse.com/locations/leith/

They also have a place on the Royal Mile but it has limited seating.  I know you can book Leith and I would recommend you do, need to check what the position is re Royal Mile.  If you can find the City Art centre when you are in town if you are having a days sightseeing - its below the Royal Mile towards Princes Street that is also a good stop for a coffee and cake.

They are a genuine family business with the next generation, now in their mid 30s taking Mum and her ideas to places she never imagined.  (My sons school friend married one of the daughters, he loved the wedding reception - they had a cake fest)

Thank you! Sandy