Istanbul overnight port

We will be docking in Istanbul at 4pm in July with an overnight stay departing the next day at 2 pm. Can anyone recommend how to break down the sites so we can see the most. Has anyone else done anything similar? We are worried about traffic so hoping to do something our first day since we do not have a full day.

Appreciate any guidance!

FYI - we are a group of 7 - my husband, my parents and my three children

What days of the week are you in Istanbul? 

-- The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sundays.

-- The Spice Bazaar is open every day from 8:00 am to 7:30 pm

-- Topkapi Palace is closed on Tuesdays (and as of right now their closing time is listed as 4pm, but that may change in high season....)

-- Haghia Sophia -- now that it has been reclassified as a mosque -- is open from 10am to 10pm (realistically you want to see it in daylight hours) and is open every day BUT may be partially closed during daily calls to prayer.

-- The Blue Mosque has been closed or mostly closed due to renovations; not sure it is necessary to visit at this time but probably has similar hours to Haghia Sophia...

-- The Hippodrome (vast grassy park/area that used to be the Roman/Byzantine "circus" is open air, you can visit the monuments in the center at any time. It is bordered by the Blue Mosque and Haghia Sophia.

-- The Basilica Cistern (the one with all the columns and the atmospheric lighting) reopened in mid 2022 and is now open 7 days a week from 9am to 7pm.

All of the above sights are located in Sultanahmet area. Take the tram from the port to Sultanahmet, then walk from site to site to avoid being stuck in the truly TERRIBLE traffic.

If it were me, I would try to do Haghia Sophia on the first day plus the nearby Basilica Cistern.

On Day 2 I'd advise a quick stop at the Spice Market then Topkapi Palace (plus Harem) and end at the Grand Bazaar.

UNLESS any of this conflicts with closing days....

• Thanks 1

Thanks cruisemom42  ......your info is very helpful.

We are on 3 cruise back to back, all of which visit Istanbul.

Two of the cruises are overnight, and the other one is a double overnight.

During our visits we will cover the 'must see' sites, however we also want to do some DIY.

One our arrival times is not till 1pm, so we would like to do some DIY wanderings in an interesting area and then stay for an evening meal.

Do you have any suggestions for a couple of areas of the city to do some wanderings and eating ?

Thanks.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:16 PM, Tranquility Base said:

Do you have any suggestions for a couple of areas of the city to do some wanderings and eating ?

Because I am so invested in ancient history, I tend to stay in and focus on the Sultanahmet area when in Istanbul. The modern city interests me not at all. 🤣

That said, wandering in Sultanahmet around sunset is wonderful. Something about the air in places that are on the water give a sort of hazy pink/aqua/sepia light. And it gives a certain glow to the old buildings and roofs. I would suggest a walk through the old streets in the vicinity of the Blue Mosque. Many hotels have rooftop bars and/or restaurants. You might look for one high enough to give you a bit of a view and enjoy a glass of wine or cocktail there.

One restaurant I really liked in Sultanahmet for dinner is apparently closed now, or at least I can't find any recent mention of it. Another one that's good is the Divella 
Bistro Restaurant if you want to try true Ottoman food (delicious). If you like fresh fish, the Fish Home Ahrir Kapi Restaurant is also nice. One place I do NOT recommend is Hamdi -- too big and too touristy.

A lunch tip, since you have several visits: You must try the meatballs and kebabs at the very long-established restaurant pictured below (Sultanahmet Koftecisi). Located right across the street from the hippodrome, it's nothing fancy but very traditional. Best for a lunch. Don't miss the piyazh, a lightly dressed salad of white beans and lettuce. Delish!

image.thumb.png.574ffcb48c967ce1806f2425fbb17b65.png

Another good option for a lunch -- look for a "Pidecisi" -- this means a restaurant that makes "pide" -- sort of like a Turkish french-bread pizza. Sounds weird but they are delicious, with interesting toppings in some restaurants.