specialty restaurant package and reservations question

CCJack

Newbie (sort of) to NCL and have a question about reservations.  In our many cruises, we have never dined at specialty restaurant, really didn't see the need as we are typically pleased with MDR.   However, our one and only NCL cruise about 6 years ago had a lot to be desired for food quality - hopefully a one off.   Other than that it was a great trip.   Anyway, we are now booked on the Joy with FAS 2 specialty dinners included.  Considering purchasing the package for 2 more dinners.  However, we do not like to eat at 8 or 9 pm.   So a couple questions:

1)  If I log in at 125 days out (for club suite) can I  make reservations for 4 dinners without the package (trying to get early dining times)?    If successful, then buy the package later on and apply to the reservations.

2) alternately, can I buy the package, then try to make the reservations and if unsuccessful at getting early times then cancel the package and get a refund (like cancelling an excursion)?   

3) Lastly, can you buy the package, make reservations then on board cancel the package if MDR looks good to us? (I think the answer is no!)

thank you.

Anyone can make dining reservations, regardless of whether you have a package or not.

The only difference that having a package makes is that if you don’t have it then you would have to pay up front for the fixed price places (Moderno and Teppanyaki). This would be refunded on board if you use a dining credit, but is best avoided.

In your situation, as you have two

free at sea meals you can book those two first anyway, so no need to pay up front.

The only real risk of not buying the package now is that prices can go up at any time, and without warning.

Just to answer your other points. You can cancel individual reservations up to 24 hours beforehand. Officially there is a charge for no shows, but it isn’t really enforceable in a la carte places, and I’m not aware of anyone being charged. It’s good manners to cancel though if you aren’t attending.

Ive never cancelled a dining package, but most add ons are cancellable up to a short time before embarkation (with refund to credit card). Cancelling onboard would be harder, if it is even possible.

Edited by KeithJenner

4 hours ago, CCJack said:

Newbie (sort of) to NCL and have a question about reservations.  In our many cruises, we have never dined at specialty restaurant, really didn't see the need as we are typically pleased with MDR.   However, our one and only NCL cruise about 6 years ago had a lot to be desired for food quality - hopefully a one off.   Other than that it was a great trip.   Anyway, we are now booked on the Joy with FAS 2 specialty dinners included.  Considering purchasing the package for 2 more dinners.  However, we do not like to eat at 8 or 9 pm.   So a couple questions:

1)  If I log in at 125 days out (for club suite) can I  make reservations for 4 dinners without the package (trying to get early dining times)?    If successful, then buy the package later on and apply to the reservations.

2) alternately, can I buy the package, then try to make the reservations and if unsuccessful at getting early times then cancel the package and get a refund (like cancelling an excursion)?   

3) Lastly, can you buy the package, make reservations then on board cancel the package if MDR looks good to us? (I think the answer is no!)

thank you.

I agreed with you about the NCL mdr food.  Out of all the cruise lines I've sailed - Carnival, Cunard, HAL, RC and Princess, NCL was the only one in which the MDR food was below the level I  enjoy.  9 years ago I sailed on the NCL star, and we purchased a dining package (this was before specialty dining was routinely included with room packages).  9 years ago, the food in the specialty dining on NCL was excellent.   In my review of the cruise 9 years ago, I said that  people who are particular about food should just price out the cruises assuming they will need to purchase the dining package on NCL but not its competitors, but at least on NCL you consistently got outstanding meals in the specialty restaurants.  

However, on my last NCL sailing, I'd honestly have to say that except for Ocean Blue, the other specialty restaurants were mostly good but not worth an upcharge (they were better than a mediocre meal in the MDR of the other lines, but about par with a good meal in the MDR of the other lines I've sailed).  We were served ice cold sides in Cagney's, which also ran out of the risotto.  My recommendation is that people should only purchase the specialty dining that comes with their room because the fees on that are low enough that its worth it.  In the buffett, there were a few good items (an Asian noodle soup, crepes and the Indian food).  We tried to eat off the ship as much as possible.  

Sorry to piggy back on this post here but I don’t think my question is big enough to justify a separate post. Royal cruiser here, going for the first time on Norwegian Pearl in April. Can specialty dining credit I got when I booked this cruise be used in the Sushi place? It’s a la carte so I am pretty sure the answer is no, but I just wanted to be sure. 

Again, sorry if I am hijacking this post. 

12 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Can specialty dining credit I got when I booked this cruise be used in the Sushi place? It’s a la carte so I am pretty sure the answer is no, but I just wanted to be sure.

It's listed as a specialty dining venue, the SDP should be valid there.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Sorry to piggy back on this post here but I don’t think my question is big enough to justify a separate post. Royal cruiser here, going for the first time on Norwegian Pearl in April. Can specialty dining credit I got when I booked this cruise be used in the Sushi place? It’s a la carte so I am pretty sure the answer is no, but I just wanted to be sure. 

Again, sorry if I am hijacking this post. 

Yes you can use for sushi.  My daughter and granddaughter did it and you get choice of 4 things. They nearly blew up eating so much. Lol

by the way you cant make a reservation.

Edited by cruisinmeme
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Yes you can use for sushi.  My daughter and granddaughter did it and you get choice of 4 things. They nearly blew up eating so much. Lol

by the way you cant make a reservation.

Thank you! It’s the fact that it’s a la carte + no reservations that probably threw me off. No worries, I am pretty sure my daughter can handle it 🍣🍱👍🤣

On 3/1/2023 at 1:59 AM, KeithJenner said:

Just to answer your other points. You can cancel individual reservations up to 24 hours beforehand. Officially there is a charge for no shows, but it isn’t really enforceable in a la carte places, and I’m not aware of anyone being charged. It’s good manners to cancel though if you aren’t attending.

Ive never cancelled a dining package, but most add ons are cancellable up to a short time before embarkation (with refund to credit card). Cancelling onboard would be harder, if it is even possible.

Thank you, this is very helpful (as is your reservation guide.)    It seems NCL makes this more complicated than it has to be.   I am left with 2 additional questions.

1) we are booked in a club suite, it says you can make reservations 125 days out.   However, when I log into MyNCL - and I select our Sept 13 Joy cruise, and go to make a reservation, it says check back on May 16 (which is 120 days out).   It is as if the system does not recognize the 125 day window for club suites.   I guess I will call on May 11.

2) I am still confused if Ocean Blue is included in SDP.  The SDP FAQ lists all restaurants that honor SDP.  It lists all except Ocean Blue, which isn't mentioned at all.    Some CC posts discuss a $10 or $15 upcharge.   However, when I open the Ocean Blue menu it lists 2 items that have a $25 upcharge on top of SDP.    I am assuming there is no upcharge in addition to SDP to dine there as long as you don't order those two items.....  

10 minutes ago, CCJack said:

1) we are booked in a club suite, it says you can make reservations 125 days out.   However, when I log into MyNCL - and I select our Sept 13 Joy cruise, and go to make a reservation, it says check back on May 16 (which is 120 days out).   It is as if the system does not recognize the 125 day window for club suites.   I guess I will call on May 11.

There's another thread where this was mentioned.  It's a generic date for the cruise, when it opens for everyone.  Check 5 days before that and you should be able to book.

Ocean Blue should be covered, except for upcharge prices for the items that have one...

• Thanks 1

Yes, hallux is correct.

I am able to make reservations 125 days out due to latitudes status, but the system always quotes the date 120 days out. Things always open at 125 days for us. I’ve not stayed in a club suite but I understand that to be the same.

Ocean Blue is covered. Whilst it isn’t mentioned by name, it is covered by “seafood” in the dining package details, the same way that “Italian” means both La Cucina and Onda without those restaurants being named.

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty Dining Packages are honored in the following restaurants: American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Moderno Churrascaria, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Seafood, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Solo traveler. Got 1 free at sea specialty dining.  Bought 3 additional specialty dining. Plus, it seems that I get one additional specialty for Platinum status.  So  5 specialty dining events.  However, I can't reserve a party of one.  Should I be a "walk in" ?  If I can't get what I paid for I want a refund.  Is that fair?

4 minutes ago, CountyHighway35 said:

Hi,

Solo traveler. Got 1 free at sea specialty dining.  Bought 3 additional specialty dining. Plus, it seems that I get one additional specialty for Platinum status.  So  5 specialty dining events.  However, I can't reserve a party of one.  Should I be a "walk in" ?  If I can't get what I paid for I want a refund.  Is that fair?

Platinum gives you two additional meals, so you get 6 in total, and you can take someone along with you for the platinum ones.

Just book for two people. There are only tables of 2 available anyway.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:31 PM, CCJack said:

Thank you, this is very helpful (as is your reservation guide.)    It seems NCL makes this more complicated than it has to be.   I am left with 2 additional questions.

2) I am still confused if Ocean Blue is included in SDP.  The SDP FAQ lists all restaurants that honor SDP.  It lists all except Ocean Blue, which isn't mentioned at all.    Some CC posts discuss a $10 or $15 upcharge.   However, when I open the Ocean Blue menu it lists 2 items that have a $25 upcharge on top of SDP.    I am assuming there is no upcharge in addition to SDP to dine there as long as you don't order those two items.....  

I worried about the same thing with the date being at 120 days rather than 125 (I am sapphire) but magically on day 125 I was able to book. it all popped up.

ocean blue is included in dinning package . I know for fact because we are booked for our March 3. 2024 cruise

lplenty to pick from without items with up charge .