Quick Independence Observations 2/24/23-2/27/23

Did a quick weekend cruise w extended family and friends (total of 17 people).  Here are my observations:

With 1 exception (young lady taking orders at Fish and Ships), staff was very friendly and wanting to provide good service.

Once per day housekeeping-would prefer twice per day, but didn’t impact our experience significantly.

Main Dining Room-prefer the old menus, but we’re not picky eaters, so always able to find something to enjoy.  However, ordering/serving only 1 app/entree/dessert at a time definitely slowed down the service unnecessarily.  Bar service in MDR also slow and unreliable.

Bars-no Blue Curaçao on CoCo Cay, Guinness tap in pub broken.  Both minor inconveniences, but surprising and removed 2 options we typically enjoy.

Fish and Ships-food quality was just ok and not worth the wait.  Fish and Chips is included, used to be an up charge.  Lobster rolls no longer available. I’d rather pay the additional cost for better quality.  Now Fish and Ships is just 1 more option we’ll skip.  

Overall, we had a good time.  However, some of the recent policy changes have taken some of the “shine” off of cruising for us.  Previously, we would have booked our next cruise shortly after returning home.  We will definitely cruise again, and it will be w RCI.  However, we’re considering some other vacation options (all inclusive) before booking our next cruise.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bt6799 said:

Did a quick weekend cruise w extended family and friends (total of 17 people).  Here are my observations:

With 1 exception (young lady taking orders at Fish and Ships), staff was very friendly and wanting to provide good service.

Once per day housekeeping-would prefer twice per day, but didn’t impact our experience significantly.

Main Dining Room-prefer the old menus, but we’re not picky eaters, so always able to find something to enjoy.  However, ordering/serving only 1 app/entree/dessert at a time definitely slowed down the service unnecessarily.  Bar service in MDR also slow and unreliable.

Bars-no Blue Curaçao on CoCo Cay, Guinness tap in pub broken.  Both minor inconveniences, but surprising and removed 2 options we typically enjoy.

Fish and Ships-food quality was just ok and not worth the wait.  Fish and Chips is included, used to be an up charge.  Lobster rolls no longer available. I’d rather pay the additional cost for better quality.  Now Fish and Ships is just 1 more option we’ll skip.  

Overall, we had a good time.  However, some of the recent policy changes have taken some of the “shine” off of cruising for us.  Previously, we would have booked our next cruise shortly after returning home.  We will definitely cruise again, and it will be w RCI.  However, we’re considering some other vacation options (all inclusive) before booking our next cruise.

I got off the day you got on.  Did anyone try the prime rib on the first night?  There was no way that I could even cut it.  Lots of other folks had said the same thing.  I never went back to test out the other menus.  I agree with you about Fish and Ships.  I had been looking forward to the lobster roll.  Have had it before.  

46 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I got off the day you got on.  Did anyone try the prime rib on the first night?  There was no way that I could even cut it.  Lots of other folks had said the same thing.  I never went back to test out the other menus.  I agree with you about Fish and Ships.  I had been looking forward to the lobster roll.  Have had it before.  

My wife did have the prime rib and she said she enjoyed it 

• Thanks 1