Water on ship

curlstravel

There are two large carafes in the room of water which will be filled by the cabin attendant daily or on request if you get through it all sooner.
Then all restaurants will offer water as soon as you are seated. 
At any bar you can ask for water. 
The pool bar usually has a thing of fruit water you can help yourself too. Also on the sun deck are bottle refill machines and in the gym. Can also help yourself in the Galley.

All the filtered water in included in the fare. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, neverendingcruising said:

It's never a problem to get water or soda at any of the bars or restaurants, I just wish they had brewed iced tea in more places. The machines in The Galley are terrible.  

The machines in The Galley serve tea made from syrup, not brewed.  I get a cup and brew my tea.  Meanwhile, I go to the ice machine and get a cup of ice, which I put in my insulated cup.  Pour the brewed tea over the ice, add lemon and sweetener, and I'm good to go.  I brought crystallized lemon juice packets as I'd had trouble getting lemon wedges on other lines.

• Like 3

VV is the best cruise line for offering free unlimited filtered water (both still and sparkling).  As mentioned in a post above your cabin will have 1 or 2 carafes of water refilled every day.  FYI you can request one still and one sparkling carafe of water.

There are filtered water stations with glasses in the Gallay and Two filtered 'water fill stations' for filling your personal water bottle container.  Any bar will gladly serve you still or sparking water anytime.  FYI: Virgin suggests you bring a personal refillable drinking water bottle or cup for onboard use.

I only drink water (lots of water) and coffee and I love that Virgin is providing RO-quality drinking water throughout the ship free of charge. This amenity sets VV above the big box cruise lines who often charge $25+ per day per person for unlimited in plastic water bottles.

I did the Behind the Scenes tour. Virgin walks the walk doing everything in its power to be environmentally friendly which includes; drastically reducing and or eliminating plastic water bottles. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I only drink water (lots of water) and coffee and I love that Virgin is providing RO-quality drinking water throughout the ship free of charge.

Unless it takes on water in ports (which is limited due to costs), every cruise ship provides "RO-quality drinking water" throughout the ship for free.  The water from every sink tap, shower head, ice maker, soda gun, or water dispenser on the ship gets water that is either made by RO, or is distilled from sea water.

While I agree that plastic water bottles are a scourge, touting RO water as a green initiative (when all ships use them to one extent or another), is false, as there are better ways to produce better (from a purity standpoint) water with less energy (green house gas) consumption to make it.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Unless it takes on water in ports (which is limited due to costs), every cruise ship provides "RO-quality drinking water" throughout the ship for free.  The water from every sink tap, shower head, ice maker, soda gun, or water dispenser on the ship gets water that is either made by RO, or is distilled from sea water.

While I agree that plastic water bottles are a scourge, touting RO water as a green initiative (when all ships use them to one extent or another), is false, as there are better ways to produce better (from a purity standpoint) water with less energy (green house gas) consumption to make it.

so other cruise lines push bottled water just because they can charge for it.

I still see it as a positive that Virgin don’t have any single use plastic onboard.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

so other cruise lines push bottled water just because they can charge for it.

I still see it as a positive that Virgin don’t have any single use plastic onboard.

Other cruise lines push bottled water because the passengers want it.  Long before they started selling it themselves, they were allowing it to be brought onboard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

I had a DCL crew member tell me that they always fill tanks when in US ports because it is cheaper to purchase water there than to produce it on the ship.

If that wasn't someone from engineering, I'd take the statement with a grain of salt.  Most of the energy used to make water onboard is "waste heat" that would be discharged overboard as heated salt water if not used to make fresh water.  As even the smaller Disney ships will use 5000-7000 tons of water per week, there is almost no way that the ship can load that much water during turn-around (3 2.5" fire hoses running at capacity would require about 24 hours to fill up the ship.  Also, any water taken on in port, must be segregated from the ship's supply, and not used, until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative, and that takes 24 hours.  Ships generally top up tanks in port only if the itinerary does not allow enough time, at a good steaming speed (the more power the ship uses, the more waste heat is available to make water), to make all the water needed for the week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If that wasn't someone from engineering, I'd take the statement with a grain of salt.  Most of the energy used to make water onboard is "waste heat" that would be discharged overboard as heated salt water if not used to make fresh water.  As even the smaller Disney ships will use 5000-7000 tons of water per week, there is almost no way that the ship can load that much water during turn-around (3 2.5" fire hoses running at capacity would require about 24 hours to fill up the ship.  Also, any water taken on in port, must be segregated from the ship's supply, and not used, until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative, and that takes 24 hours.  Ships generally top up tanks in port only if the itinerary does not allow enough time, at a good steaming speed (the more power the ship uses, the more waste heat is available to make water), to make all the water needed for the week.

Makes sense,,,,yes, it was on the Magic, and he did not say or imply that this was their only or even main source--just that they did fill the tanks in every US port.....and I could have misunderstood and he could have been saying "took on as much as time would allow."  You're the expert!

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Other cruise lines push bottled water because the passengers want it.  Long before they started selling it themselves, they were allowing it to be brought onboard.

And yet thousands of people a week are sailing with Virgin and not requiring those single use plastics. The other cruise lines could do away with it too, but choose not to as they’d rather make the money on bottles. 

• Like 7