Entertainment Books 50% Off

beachchick

Aloha all. I've been meaning to post this for a week. All of the Entertainment Books are now listed (website only) for 50% off.

We bought the Hawaii one last year. Total cost was $17.5 + $5 for shipping. The book paid for itself after only one phone call to change our one night in Kona hotel rate over to the EB rate (over the already discounted AARP rate we had)--that was $29 right there. Even though the car rental coupons aren't valid in Hawaii, the EB contracted rates are. We got $120 extra savings on rental cars ($120 less than the already discounted rate we had); our 2 week rental on Maui for a mid-size ended up being $19 per day, including all fees/taxes and an additional driver. And we saved about $50 on our BI 5 day rental; considering how expensive BI rates can be, we got an excellent deal on a mid-size. That savings paid for almost half of our Harper's 4-WD 1 day rental.

The rest of the savings were just "gravy" IMO. We saved more than $400 total--enough to pay for dinner at Mama's Fish House for three and for an extra snorkel excursion. And we didn't even visit Oahu, which has by far the most coupons.

Anyway, we ordered ours.:D I'm optimistically hoping that our fall trip/cruise works out as planned--it hasn't even been a year since our last trip, and I'm already aching to go back again. Plus, I'm almost out of Kona coffee, freshly frozen pineapple, freshly frozen Maui onions, and other island delights. (Don't tell me I can order them online--that doesn't count. LOL.)

beachchick

Has anyone ordered these in the past? Is it likely that the price will come down any further? We don't leave until mid-July, so if odds are good that it'll further drop, I'd rather wait- don't want to be left without either though!

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

dogdoc2002: It's slightly possible that they'll come down in price more, but really $17.50 is an utter bargain. Plus, once they go on 1/2 off, the popular books like Hawaii tend to sell out fast. You could wait, but you're taking a serious chance of missing out entirely.

p.s. Are you by any chance a DVM? If so, thank you for taking care of precious and loved pets. A good vet is worth his or her weight in gold. (Did I mention we love our pets' vet and her staff?)

Have a great time in the beautiful islands.

seaweed5: My pleasure. I'm just sorry I kept forgetting for almost 2 weeks. Last year one of our many helpful Hawaii locals (I believe it was Suebee, but I'm not positive) posted when the price dropped. We leaped right on that and were thrilled. In fact, we ordered one for our DD's home area this year because she's graduating from college in June (which is also the reason we can't take the PoH initial positioning cruise; oh well). I bet we save several hundred dollars on our trip to see her--all the more that can be saved for Hawaii in the fall!

beachchick

Even at full price the book is worth it for sure. Be careful about the $10 books...that is clearance and once they are gone, they are gone.

Everyone will enjoy their stay anyway....be aware that many of the tourist magazines have coupons as well as the sunday paper (honolulu advertiser) has dining coupons and specials....Not as extensive though. And there is another coupon book specifically for dining. Not sure of the exact name....Aloha Diner or something like that.

dogdoc2002: It's slightly possible that they'll come down in price more, but really $17.50 is an utter bargain. Plus, once they go on 1/2 off, the popular books like Hawaii tend to sell out fast. You could wait, but you're taking a serious chance of missing out entirely.

p.s. Are you by any chance a DVM? If so, thank you for taking care of precious and loved pets. A good vet is worth his or her weight in gold. (Did I mention we love our pets' vet and her staff?)

Have a great time in the beautiful islands.

beachchick

Thanks for the input $17.50 is cheap, was just hoping for cheaper as we're on a budget. We'll be there for 2 weeks, 1 on Oahu for a veterinary conference (yup, I'm a DVM), and a 2nd cruising on POAm. This may very well be the only time we ever get to come to Hawaii, so we want to enjoy ourselves and get to see as much of the islands as we can.

On behalf of myself and other vets, you're welcome. It's wonderful to be able to go to work and love what you do.

Dogdoc (currently surrounded by cats and dogs as she types)

As others have stated, if you wait, you run the risk of the books selling out (happened in the past to me, but wasn't looking for Hawaii at the time). I do remember them going for $10 last year - thought it was around June, but certainly could be mistaken. I'll be ordering mine now - the $7.50 difference is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Follow up: Got our books. For our visit to see our DD, we already saved over $100 on car rental over any other discounted rate I'd found. Plus, there is a dinner coupon for a place we were going to go anyway--that coupon alone is for more than the cost of the book plus shipping. What a deal! We haven't even really looked at the Hawaii one yet, but I know it will save us $100s later this year. They truly make the difference (at least for those of us on a budget) in being able to afford the things that make a trip really special, IMO.

The books also have coupons for things like hardware stores and other nationwide stores/services, so we'll use those at home and save even more.

dogdoc2002: I hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds like a lovely trip. You are indeed lucky to be able to make a living doing something you love to do. Animals always know when those who care for them also love them--that makes a huge difference.

As others have mentioned, the books may go down to $10, but they may sell out; you just never know from year to year.

beachchick

I guess I ordered mine too early. :( I ordered mine on March 13th and it cost me $25.00 + $3.49 for s/h. I think it will be well worth the money.:) I know it has already been shipped. We are cruising on the POA on 7/8/06. Anyone else crusing then?

We spent 12 days on three different islands (Oahu, Kauai & Maui) this past July. We also bought a Entertainment book for $10 and it would have been worth full price. Not only did we save money, it was a great resource (phone numbers etc.) for booking activities and such.

At the end of our trip we left our book for the fabulous housekeeper we had all week at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. It was just a little something to thank her for a great stay. We were celebrating our 1st anniversary and she kept fresh flowers in our room the entire stay with a sweet little note.

Since we had an E Book for home, we did not need the Hawaii one.

This was by far the best vacation!!!

Mollie

BTW - Check into Hawaii Revealed series of books. They have one for every island. Priceless info.

I have an Entertainment Book for my home area and its coupons expire at the end of November 2006. I assume that this is true for the Hawaii Entertainment Book. Do the coupons/savings in the 2006 Hawaii book expire November 2006? My trip is scheduled for the first couple weeks of December 2006.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone;:) I've seen several posts about the Hawaii Revealed books. What are they, and how do you get one?

Thanks for your help in advance! We leave 2 weeks from today on the Pride of America. Can't hardly wait.

Trudy

How long did it take for you to get the book once you ordered it? We are leaving 5/19 and would be afraid the book might not get here in time.

Mine arrived 12 days after I placed the phone order, so you should be fine.

How long did it take for you to get the book once you ordered it? We are leaving 5/19 and would be afraid the book might not get here in time.

Not positive, but I think mine arrived about a week later.

dogdoc

Hi everyone;:) I've seen several posts about the Hawaii Revealed books. What are they, and how do you get one?

Thanks for your help in advance! We leave 2 weeks from today on the Pride of America. Can't hardly wait.

Trudy

You should be able to get them at any bookstore. They are like Fodors, Lonely planet or any other guide book, but 100% more in depth....good narratives and honest opinions (you may or may not agree with thier opinions, but other guidebooks give facts leaving you wondering "but is it worth going there????" This series cuts through the vagueness.

Here is their webpage:

http://www.wizardpub.com/main/home.html

Archived